Ignition Switch?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I am in the process of completing a new center console that includes a rocker switch for the front lift. I have been considering whether to replace the keyed ignition switch with a toggle or rocker switch. Thoughts? I suppose if one was concerned with security they could added a hidden switch in the back if they were worried someone would jump in and drive away. I never leave my car in a spot where I would worry about taking the key with me and think if someone wanted to steal the car, a keyed switch is not going to stop them.

Does anyone know the amount of current that runs through the SPF ignition switch? Thanks

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Many years ago I setup 6 toggle switches in series on a small panel. I oriented the toggles so they represented a binary code. If all 6 toggle switches were oriented with ON being to the left, you would simply flip all toggles to the left - you could start the car with the starter button. I had them mixed up of course so it was something like 010011.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Now that is a clever approach Randy! What does that give you... 64 possible combinations? I think one along with the battery cutoff and a hidden switch in the back would provide as much security as one might need but I admire your ingenuity!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Mike,

The ignition switch has a "main" power terminal that all of the accessories get power from that is "hot' al of the time, but the ignition and running modes don't take a great deal of amperage. Blas can walk you through how to power the vehicle and separate the ignition. We have done a car as original by moving the key switch to the "start button" location on the dash. That would allow you to remove the tunnel to instrument panel portion of the console so it is open as per the FAV cars.

Bought an old Triumph 2500S a while back, previous owner had fitted a battery cut off to back of cigarette lighter which he had gutted and fitted an adaptor to operate cutoff. Had to push n turn lighter to operate.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Mike.
I should have added that the correct sequence would engage a relay for the ignition box.
I’ve also heard of the trick that Jac mentions and find that pretty clever..

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,

The ignition switch has a "main" power terminal that all of the accessories get power from that is "hot' al of the time, but the ignition and running modes don't take a great deal of amperage. Blas can walk you through how to power the vehicle and separate the ignition. We have done a car as original by moving the key switch to the "start button" location on the dash. That would allow you to remove the tunnel to instrument panel portion of the console so it is open as per the FAV cars.

Thanks, I was looking over the diagram I bought from Blas. I don't think mine is hot to accessories all the time but I need to get in there with a meter and check. I think the fuel pump is powered by that circuit as well as the dash and heater fan etc. As long as the cooling fans don't draw through that circuit I would assume a 20amp rocker would be sufficient. While I understand binary and Randy's approach I am not an electrician so if I'm off in left field hopefully someone will enlighten me. Thanks!

To your point Randy, maybe a better solution is a relay triggered by a rocker switch.

Mike,

I cut down my key and epoxied a black knob on it that looks like the other knobs/buttons on the dash. You can't even tell it is a ignition switch.

Last edited:
A friend hid a starter interlock in plain sight. He routed the ‘start’ wire through an unmarked toggle switch, one of many on the dash. In practice, the switch needs to be flipped on in order for current to flow from the ignition switch to the solenoid and engage the starter. Once the car is running the toggle is flipped off. It will run forever but when you shut it off, it won’t restart until you flip the toggle again.

Brilliant.

Would work great against carjackers. Gun to the face? Shut the car off, leave the keys in the ignition, get out and run away. Perp gets in, turns the key, the car lights up but starter doesn’t work.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
That’s kind of a neat idea Ian. Actually, these are all neat ideas thanks! Yes

Back