Wheel Size Quick Question

I think tyres are hard to get ...

Interesting. Looking online at places like the Tirerack here in the states, I can find all sizes of 16’s.

Any thoughts how 16’s would look and handle on a gt40?

I found 4 original Halibrand 16” wheels 8.5 and 10 at a great price. Before I consider them, I wanted to make sure there were no “issues”with 16” wheels.

There is also a pair of 12” wide wheels for sale. Does anyone use 12” wide wheels?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting. Looking online at places like the Tirerack here in the states, I can find all sizes of 16’s.

Any thoughts how 16’s would look and handle on a gt40?

I found 4 original Halibrand 16” wheels 8.5 and 10 at a great price. Before I consider them, I wanted to make sure there were no “issues”with 16” wheels.

There is also a pair of 12” wide wheels for sale. Does anyone use 12” wide wheels?

In the UK you have to run the correct speed rated tyres, or insurance in invalid

What speed rating are the tyres you are able to see brain?

Ian

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
The ERA wheels are 16" dia. and 12" width, when I got my Mk1 wide body it came with Hoosier slicks and I thought it would be really hard to source 16" tires so I went and had a custom set of Vintage Wheels made up in 10" and 12" widths to the ERA offsets. They are still in the boxes, unused thus far as I've been pretty successful in finding 16" tires.

The 15" is pretty tight clearance and would not allow for large brake calipers.

The ERA wheels are 16" dia. and 12" width, when I got my Mk1 wide body it came with Hoosier slicks and I thought it would be really hard to source 16" tires so I went and had a custom set of Vintage Wheels made up in 10" and 12" widths to the ERA offsets. They are still in the boxes, unused thus far as I've been pretty successful in finding 16" tires.

So you aren’t having issues with the 16’s, that great news if I am to get these wheels.

Last edited:

I’m fitting 15” 8s and 12s on my SGT, a set of AP Racing Pro5000+ (part number CP2030 I think) fit perfectly with 295mm discs so no need to worry about not having enough stopping power if you did want to go 15”...

Back