GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've always like this one:

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
― H.L. Mencken, On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe; 1931

I've always like this one:

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
― H.L. Mencken, On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe; 1931

:lol: The problem of course with a lot of political jokes is they end up getting elected.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Well, as Trump continues to insult the world, at least he hasn't played favorites! This is just in from comments regarding his refusal to attend the opening of the new U.S. embassy in Great Britain:

"It appears that President Trump got the message from the many Londoners who love and admire America and Americans but find his policies and actions the polar opposite of our city’s values of inclusion, diversity and tolerance," Khan said in a statement early Friday. "His visit next month would without doubt have been met by mass peaceful protests.

"Let’s hope that Donald Trump also revisits the pursuit of his divisive agenda," Khan added.

Oh, well...at least our friends across the pond have his "number", so to speak.

Sure would like to hear what some of our friends in England have to say about this insult.

Cheers? Not on your life, if it insults our friends in G.B.!

Doug

Malcolm

Supporter
Trump not coming to open a new embassy is no insult to me. It is not a big deal whether he comes or not. If he did come then he would get protested as he just will be protested whatever he came to do. The bigger question is over the state visit invitation that has been accepted but not yet given a date. That one has upset a good chunk of the UK. Persaonally I see a reason for the visit in the big scheme of things. We have plenty of dip sticks visit our country and one more won't make a difference. The office of POTUS rather than the inidividual is coming is the relevant detail. Don't care much for Trump at all and that was well before he became POTUS.

What has been sad from a Brit perspective is the divisiveness of his presidency on you lot. Before, you guys were quite polarised in your politics. Never ever saw one of you change your opions through a discussion. That is sad enough but Trump has divided you further, much further, made you all get more defensive and aggressive about your personal view points. And the USA world wide credibility has taken a big hit because of it. That is more sad. I check the news feeds daily now just to see what he has been up to next. What a soap opera!

Anyway did you know why your embassy was on a long lease rather than USA owning the dirt under the building out right, as all other US embassies are owned? Goes back to WW2 and a particular dinner party with three people in attendance.....

During the war your embassy got bombed out and destroyed. Once the war ended you guys needed a site to build your new embassy and decided on its location, Belgravia Sq, a site that just so happened to be owned by the Duke of Westminster. Bit of background on the Duke, the Duke has a 200 acre estate in the centre of London that came about when one of his ancestors way way back married a girl and as a dowry he was given 200 acres of land in what became London and central London at that!

So the Duke was happy to offer a long leasehold to USA for the site as his policy was never to sell the family land, and so would not sell the site to the USA. USA wanted to buy but this was not forthcoming from the Duke. Time goes by. USA lobbies our prime minitser and a dinner date is set between the Duke of Westminster, the US Ambassador and Winston Churchill in the hope that Winston can lean on the Duke and get the land sold to USA.

The meal progresses nicely and once the plates are cleared away you can just imagine the cigars comng out and a very fine bottle of port being passed to the left. The three of them are now just sitting around the table in a smoke filled room.

Winston Churchill is doing as the Ambassador asks and is encouraging the Duke to sell. It will be a good price. It will be good for the country. It will be good for future relations. But the Duke is not giving in. The bottle is now getting dizzy from going around and time ticks by. Eventually the Duke says he has an idea. Winston thinks a break through is coming. The Ambassador leans in attentvely.

The Duke says that back a few hundred years ago his family had some land in the USA that was forcefully taken from them and the family were still a bit miffed by that. Perhaps a deal could be done so that there would be a land swap?

Winston Churchill thought this a splendid idea. The Ambassador agreed and said yes he was sure that a swap could happen. Where was this land? The Duke says one word, "Virginia". The Ambassador says "yes yes yes, but which bit?". The Duke pauses and then says "All of it!"

The USA eventually agreed to a long leasehold.

Last edited:
While I don't believe America is a "$hithole," The F'ing Moron aka Mr. Stable Genius, is certainly giving the rest of the world that impression. And America may get to "$hithole" status before the next 3 years has passed.

Sad!

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Anyway did you know why your embassy was on a long lease rather than USA owning the dirt under the building out right, as all other US embassies are owned? Goes back to WW2 and a particular dinner party with three people in attendance.....

WOW, Malcolm, that was a GREAT story! Thanks for that, it was illuminating, and it was also interesting to hear the British take on all of this. History has never been my favorite subject, but I have developed an interest in some of the more arcane occurrences in our nations' history, and this seems to be one of them. Thanks, again!!!!

4 years to have to endure his ignorance and egocentricity is a long time, but I have ZERO hope that things will get better. Our POTUS is an incredibly egocentric individual and it seems to a large part of our population that his only goal is to stroke his ego...hence all of the "misinformation" that gets posted in his tweets, as well as all those gaffes that emanate from his mouth. He tries to sound knowledgeable, but to those with any semblance of sentience he just sounds uninformed and unable to determine the truth. The whole world can watch as our country's political process crumbles to the ground at his hands (and mouth).

There is no way to justify his actions to our friends across the Atlantic. None. Once again he is taking an action based on the decisions and actions of an old political rival...and I'm certain that he's doing so because he thinks his irascible nature is attractive to some...which it is, but only to some! The rest of us grimace in shame at most of his comments and actions.

Cheers!

Doug

OK, Donald Trump has now been confirmed as a pathological liar.

A quote from the WSJ interview with the schmuck: "I was always the best athlete, people don't know that."

Speaking for all athletes around the globe, that's some funny $hit. :lol:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
OK, Donald Trump has now been confirmed as a pathological liar.

A quote from the WSJ interview with the schmuck: "I was always the best athlete, people don't know that."

I have only this to say about "the schmuck", as you refer to him (not that I disagree)..."Spoken like a true egomaniac".

Doug

When I was 18 or so my older brother still lived at home. I remember telling him his bedroom was a "shithole". So i guess by todays media standards I would be a racist. Does someone want to explain that to me? While I agree that the President saying that was ill advised, WTF does it have to do with racism? BTW Haiti is a shithole.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Doug, I was trying to be kind by using the adjective "schmuck." :laugh:

I know, Rod...you were being oh, so kind, if you ask me. He doesn't deserve to be called anything as respectable as "SCHMUCK"...IMHO, of course!

Doug

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Soooooooooo.......
Just how has that stock portfolio been performing over the last year?

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
When I was 18 or so my older brother still lived at home. I remember telling him his bedroom was a "shithole". So i guess by todays media standards I would be a racist. Does someone want to explain that to me? While I agree that the President saying that was ill advised, WTF does it have to do with racism? BTW Haiti is a shithole.

Sure, Al...we've all use that term in our lifetimes. I didn't (and still don't) see it as being a racist slur as you described your comments to your older sibling...nobody has implied that one or more races are shi*holes, as I recall Trump was referring to the countries, not the population. I think most of us who are continent-bound and haven't gone to Haiti think of it as a tropical paradise. It must not be....(understatement is only ANOTHER of my many services).

I'm just curious, Al...you seem to be a Trump supporter (I could be wrong about that, though)...either way, do you think him using that sort of language is "presidential" in nature? I know a lot of U.S. Trump supporters really relish that he doesn't engage in PC or mince words, but to the rest of the world I think Trump is just viewed an inept, vulgar and self-serving (none of which are desirable descriptors for a POTUS, BTW).

So...the big Q...is the "conservative" movement realizing that Trump isn't helping their agenda any with all this "renegade" behavior? Even Fox News(?) Network is focusing on his many deficits. When Fox turns against a (self proclaimed) conservative POTUS, particularly with the strangle-hold the conservatives have, it MUST be a significant issue...I've never seen Fox denigrate a fellow conservative politician before and this is unusual.

These are truly trying times, Al...we're a country at each others' throats over all this (although I do try to limit my criticisms to comments regarding Trump and not our forum members). We've had unpopular presidents before, but none that I recall who generated so much dissatisfaction for so many reasons.

Rod may be right....time for impeachment if he won't try to represent the U.S. in a better light. What good does he think causing all this international ya-ya will accomplish?

Cheers to you, Al! Thanks for having a cool head for these discussions!

Doug

Soooooooooo.......
Just how has that stock portfolio been performing over the last year?

Actually, since about 2009, the end of the recession, the run up in the stock market has been awesome.

And when you’ve been planning to pass a new tax law, and finally get it passed, which enriches the 1% and corporations, at the expense of the poor, middle class and will contribute another $1.5 Billion to our national debt over the next 10 years, the market has also done quite well for the past year as well.

Thanks for asking. :thumbsup:

It’s context Al.

You and your brother are probably both Caucasian and you’re related. And neither one of you are the President.

When the Mr. Stable Genius has already slurred Mexicans, Muslims, women, picks fights with black athletes and a black congress woman, never apologized to the “Central Park 5” (black kids) for accusing them of a crime they didn’t commit, was sued by the Government and lost a discrimination case for keeping black people out of his apartment buildings etc., etc., etc., then says Africa, Haiti, El Salvador, etc. are $hitholes and why can’t more Norwegians (white) come to our country, the F’ing Moron in the Oval Office is clearly a racist.

And today, the other racists, white nationalists and Neo-Nazis in our country rejoiced. Just read the news articles.

To most folks, it’s clearly obvious the F’ing Moron is a racist.

Sorry, I forgot, but Trump also questioned the legitimacy of Obama’s presidency (i.e., birtherism), our first black president. And he never apologized, though some do think F’ing Moron actually admitted Obama was born in America. However, recent news reports do say that he still thinks Obama was born in Africa.

Trump won't be impeached, it won't happen. And as to the stock market. I understand that whatever bad happened during Obama's reign was due to JW, and all things being equal the same bright minds will concur that whatever good happens during Trump's Presidency is due of course to Obama and the not so good will be attributed to Trump.

On the illegal immigration front, has anyone been keeping track of the MS13 plague in the US? 100,000 members in LA alone. A violent beyond comprehension gang that's spreading like a virus. That's something we should worry about.

Trump won't be impeached, it won't happen.

I’d agree. The most likely scenario is that Dumb Dumb will resign in disgrace like Nixon. Mueller has already indicted two and has gotten another two to plead guilty. And if Democrats win back the House in 2018, then chances of Trump leaving the White House increase exponentially.

On the illegal immigration front, has anyone been keeping track of the MS13 plague in the US? 100,000 members in LA alone. A violent beyond comprehension gang that's spreading like a virus. That's something we should worry about.

As the F’ing Moron and Republicans destabilize Obamacare and millions lose their healthcare, I bet more lives will be lost due to lack of healthcare than gang warfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back