Stephan's SLC Build Log

Stephan E.

Supporter
Hello Jared,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I am doing this for a while and the SLC is not my first rodeo. I grew up near the Nuerburgring in Germany. Motorsports is sort of a genetic component over there. For those who are interested. Here are a few pictures of my previous project before the SLC. Only took me 10 years to restore it. It is a very early model 1963 Corvette Fuel Injected (September 1962). Lacquer paint, all original, matching numbers, 360 horses high compression engine. She takes 103 octane "Leaded". A very demanding old lady! Bought it 18 years ago when I came into the country.

Enjoy
Vette_1.jpg
Vette_2.jpg
Vette_3.jpg
Vette_4.jpg
Vette_5.jpg
Vette_6.jpg
Vette_7.jpg
Vette_8.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
That is how I finished the weekend work. Front brake system entirely done. Moving aft... The factory brake lines didn't fit the new locations of the -3 AN bulkhead. All new lines lines for clutch and rear brakes have been installed. Those are now one piece lines without connection under the body.
Brake system_13.jpg
Brake system_12.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
Thanks again and no worries. I managed to put 1500 miles on it since I own it. Never saw rain, salt or even washed her. Just a damp cloth, that is it. No wax or preservatives. Most of the time she is inside her hyperbaric chamber, a huge plastic bubble to prevent oxidation from condensation. Along the way you can PM me and we can meet when the temperatures go up.

Cheers

Stephan. Your tube work on the brakes is incredible. Is all that stainless or NiCop tubing? How do you plan to leak check it?

The 63 vette is sweet. I owned a 67 and 2006 that I race. :thumbsup:

Stephan E.

Supporter
Hello Dan,

Thank you so much for the nice comments on my work. I am happy to see that another C2 owner also ended up with an SLC. The best of both worlds I think. Would love to see your 67.

To answer your question on leak testing. The pedal assembly will be bench tested. I will make -3AN lines with caps and bleeder screw, still have a spare fluid reservoir to feed the master cylinder. All lines are stainless incl. the lift kit. Front and rear will be tested the good old fashioned way. One guy pushing the pedal and the other guy opening and closing the bleeder on the calipers and transmission. If successful and no leaks.

BEER TIME!

Cheers

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
My Audi R8 Gated Shifter arrived from Europe. I got creative when I noticed that there are no used ones available on US soil. I searched all individual European Ebay sites such as France, Belgium, UK, Holland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain etc. since Gallardos and R8s where sold around the globe but only a fraction to the US. Not all used parts are being offered internationally so I contacted the vendors if they would make an exception and ship to the US. I got lucky a few weeks back. After some searching I was able to buy one for 450 Euros or $540.00 US all said and done. It's like new, shifts precise and crisp. Came off an 2012 R8

I hope this info will help a few builders to save some money if they prefer a Lambo or R8 shifter.

Good luck hunting.
Audi R8 Cable Shifter_1.jpg
Audi R8 Cable Shifter_2.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
...moving along the driver side I stopped at the fuel system for some time. I tried to come up with a layout using the factory surge tank. I must have had at least five or six versions before I decided that that surge tank does not fit my idea of a clean installation and to keep everything out of the engine compartment. I sourced a tank with the same capacity but different foot print and a cube instead of a cylinder. I like that there is an opening in the bottom for the high pressure pump. Also the fuel shut-off valve required some modifications to fit the bill. I chose low profile AN fittings to give me the shortest connections and all components are now serviceable/replaceable through the removable section in the firewall. Here is the first part of this installation...
FuelSystem_1.jpg
FuelSystem_2.jpg
FuelSystem_3.jpg
FuelSystem_4.jpg
FuelSystem_5.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
...and more fuel system components are finding a home. I'll complete the system when the roll-over and pressure relief valve have been delivered.
FuelSystem_6.jpg
FuelSystem_7.jpg
FuelSystem_8.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Originally Posted by Dreamcars View Post
Thanks for the info,

I know those ITbs can be a nightmare. If I go ITB, my preference is with the Harrop Hurricane for all the good reasons you just listed even others look better. Lots of time to decide which transmission ratio and engine will be the chosen ones. Any input is welcome. I don't want to go through these experiences losing time and tons of money.

Cheers
I was using the Harrop and I was not satisfied.

In a full throttle all the time application I would have kept them, but for street driving, no.

I wasted a lot of $$$ on dyno time as we tried to get the idle under control and timing proper and we couldn't. When my tuner spoke w/ their tuner we were baffled at how they thought allowing the computer to pull 100% of the timing was "okay"

btw, every single LS Harrop owner I found on ls1tech had the exact same experience as I did.

Stephan,

I just read your build log and wanted to comment on the reply above that was posted some time ago. I built a LS3 CT525 powered 1977 280Z with a Harrop Hurricane cross ram intake with 58mm throttle bodies and it worked flawlessly. LSX Performance Tuning ( The Guerra Group ) had my car for 1 full day and when I got it back it drove like a high performance car from the factory would drive. The engine idled correctly, cold start worked as it should, highway cruise was smooth without any surging and wide open throttle was great but the smile on my face was hard to remove. My current GT40 build has a Borla Induction intake with 58mm ITB's and puts out over 625hp at 7,500rpm's without any issues either. Just wanted to defend Harrop since they make a great product, maybe the tuners need to talk to the guys at LSX Performance tuning for some insight.

Rick

Attachments

• Rick Merz 1977 280Z.jpg
    Rick Merz 1977 280Z.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 380
  • datsun-280z-ls-swap-26752.jpg
    datsun-280z-ls-swap-26752.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 353

Stephan E.

Supporter
Thank you Rick,

Very much appreciated. I have not put the ITB idea to bed yet. Actually, I spoke recently to Earl at Kinsler. I received a lot of input about the does and don'ts. Jenvey is still in the race as well as Harrop.

The car looks very impressive.

Last edited:
Stephan,

I just read your build log and wanted to comment on the reply above that was posted some time ago. I built a LS3 CT525 powered 1977 280Z with a Harrop Hurricane cross ram intake with 58mm throttle bodies and it worked flawlessly. LSX Performance Tuning ( The Guerra Group ) had my car for 1 full day and when I got it back it drove like a high performance car from the factory would drive. The engine idled correctly, cold start worked as it should, highway cruise was smooth without any surging and wide open throttle was great but the smile on my face was hard to remove. My current GT40 build has a Borla Induction intake with 58mm ITB's and puts out over 625hp at 7,500rpm's without any issues either. Just wanted to defend Harrop since they make a great product, maybe the tuners need to talk to the guys at LSX Performance tuning for some insight.

Rick

How is your timing at idle? I never said the car didn't drive right or idle right - we could get it to drive and idle fine - it's that HOW it was done was very bad for the engine (pulling all timing).

I looked at several tuner files that had their Harrops working well and it was the same story - pull all timing to make it work.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Alex,

I sold my 280Z in 2014 with all of the documentation and paperwork so I really can't answer your question accurately. I can say that I drove the car for 3 years clocking about 18,000 miles and it never exhibited any issues, no overheating, no spark knock, headers were ceramic coated and the coating showed no damage from overheating, no fouled plugs (never changed them), no loss of power and good gas mileage IF I kept my foot out of it. The guys at LSX had one of the first Hurricane manifolds shipped to America and had experience with tuning them, that is why I trailered my car 175 miles to have it tuned. I could have went to several places in Houston, but I felt better going with someone who had experience with tuning the Harrop Hurricane intake and being controlled with the GM aftermarket ECU. I did not mean for my post to offend anyone, I just want to share my good experience with Harrop and LSX Performance Tuning.

Rick

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Stephen,

I looked at all of the ITB players as well and Kinsler was on my list but they are very proud of their product $$$ (as they have a right to be) which is the only reason that I went with Harrop (liked the fly by wire and different look from most of the other offerings).

BTW VERY nice job on the Vette!

Rick

Stephan E.

Supporter
I was able to do the fuel lines and AN fittings around the pumps and surge tank today. Next step placing the fuel pressure regulator...
FuelSystem_9.jpg
FuelSystem_10.jpg
FuelSystem_11.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
This post is for those builders who want to use the factory shifter for the Graziano. Before I purchased my R8 Gated Shifter I was looking for a solution to make the center console look nice. I figured out that Mercedes and Chrysler are using the same six speed shift pattern as the Graziano. Aftermarket parts are plentiful such as shifter knobs, shifter boots and shift gates. Here is a pictures of a solution coming from a Chrysler Crossfire (Mercedes SLK). An aluminum shift gate fitting the narrow tub console in the SLC. I read somewhere it is 7.5 cm wide. Funny enough, it has a large letter S (Superlite maybe) engraved into it. The other shifter is only to show that there are decent leather and aluminum versions are out there for small money.
Gated_shifter_Chrysler_Crossfire_1.jpg
mercedes-benz-gear-shift_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back