IVA Fail ..

Hi All my 40 went for IVA today up at Kidderminster .I got a fail ......:furious:

all silly things really to name a few .......

Interior mirror vibrating on tick over .......

had sticker on dash stating dip for the head light . they want another sticker saying Main ...... fog light lens upside down just the lens .........side front repeaters bit too high .......couple of bolts not showing 2 threads through the nuts....windscreen washer squirting too high .......hand break not effective .....headlight bit too high .......spark plug leads need clipping ..

no problem with side windows not being fitted ..

couple of other small bits .

So all in all I am happy that nothing major ............

John..:thumbsup:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Well Done John

Work through the snagging list

Book the retest

On the road for spring

Then sort any gremlins
And head to LMC in July

Simples

Ian

Last edited:
Well done soon be there, as one of my wise experienced wing men Mike Pass said to me when mine failed first time "now you have a list to work through".

I have heard all the best ones fail first time ;)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I'm just astounded by this. If this was required in the States, 70% of the cars would be taken off the road.

Question: Do they reference the "to do" list when you take it back, or do you risk another complete IVA by a different person, and a different set of corrections? Wondering if they cannot reference any other issues once the deficiencies are noted.

You’ll soon get through that list.
Get the retest booked.

Well done mate!

Your turn soon Bob :) bit cold for working outside at the moment though :(

Being booked tomorrow ,,,,,,, Bob m8 .... cant believe a fail for vibrating mirror ..

John

Sounds like a case of having to find something, I am sure you know the drill, go through the list, play the game, smile sweetly and you will soon be driving down that road with a big grin on your face.

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I'm just astounded by this. If this was required in the States, 70% of the cars would be taken off the road.

Question: Do they reference the "to do" list when you take it back, or do you risk another complete IVA by a different person, and a different set of corrections? Wondering if they cannot reference any other issues once the deficiencies are noted.

Terry
My car went through the earlier test called SVA so I can only confirm what happened about 10 years ago.

At the retest it was a case of get the snag list and tick the items off one at a time, list finished get the piece of paper that allows registration. They did not look at anything else other than on the list.

Yes it is a serious test that I believe has 5 hours inspection allocated. Mainly safety items and compliance, eg lights placed in correct locations.

Ian

Hi John,
Well done ...... I know the list is frustrating but at least they are all minor things in the general scheme of things.
Thanks for letting us know there were no problems regarding having no side windows.
To make you feel better ..... my car passed at the 3rd attempt as the list of minor things were worked through.
Keep us all informed as to how the re-test goes.
We look forward to seeing the car on the road as the summer returns.

Hi John,
Congratulations on a ‘good’ fail
I’m a bit surprised about the comment on the side repeaters being too high. The regs state a min height of 350mm and a max ht of 1500mm, so it’s difficult to understand what the issue is
Anyway keep up the good work, you’re nearly there

Regards
Andy

Very positive John and best of luck for next week :)
How did you set up the brake bias or was it good fortune?
I put a Kirkham Cobra through IVA in 2015 and that gave me the confidence to have a crack at putting my MDA GT40 through BUT the challenges are a whole lot different, some similar and more straight forward to comply but some an expensive rethink!
All very rewarding though.

Best of luck

Mark

I found an easy way to pass the emergency brake test.
Put it in third as opposed to first gear. With all the hp theres no way the engine is not going to override the brake. I did it in third it killed the engine when I dumped the clutch. Inspector happy.
Lloyd

I found an easy way to pass the emergency brake test.
Put it in third as opposed to first gear. With all the hp theres no way the engine is not going to override the brake. I did it in third it killed the engine when I dumped the clutch. Inspector happy.
Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

Unfortunately, the UK brake test is done on a brake roller tester. I think this is the hardest part of the test to pass I have found my brake results which show the results from different forces applied to the foot brake, and hand / emergency brake results. Needless to say aI failed my first IVA test on brakes as the attached results show,

Attachments

• brake.GIF
    brake.GIF
    32.5 KB · Views: 424
  • brake 2.GIF
    brake 2.GIF
    23.5 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Ian m8 my 40 is up with Andy at Tornado doing the IVA for me ...... he is sorting the list for me ....

Mark .... I don't have a Bias .... 2 Servos .. I put my Pilgrim Cobra through SVA in 2002 a lot different now ... All the fails are very minor . apart from hand brake ...... Retest next Wed .. fingers crossed ...

Back