Electric cars, in a nutshell...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I simply threw out the fuel cell notion as yet another possibility... Honda was (no idea on current status) putting a LOT of effort into both the Hydrogen Fuel Cells and CNG.

I like the idea of a Hydrogen fuel cell, even have a musician friend who has done considerable experimentation with one. In the end he had to abandon the project because the technology for small-demand refill sites was not developed and he could not produce enough hydrogen "gas" with his limited setup.

Making automotive fuel out of water is an intriguing idea...and the "dream" has been around for a long time!

Cheers!

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
My experience with EV was quite impressive! A friend had a Mercury hybrid and in order to "activate" the car all that was required was to insert the "ignition key" and turn it "on". At that point all one needed to do was push on the "gas" pedal and the car moved forward...silently! It was an eerie experience.

If you liked that then you'll really enjoy your experience with a true EV. I don't know what Mercury the hybrid might have been since Mercury hasn't existed for quite sometime, but try a pure modern electric car that was designed from the beginning as an electric car. Basically on the market now you have few choices:

Tesla Model S/Model3/Model X, Chevy Bolt, BMW i3 (not really it has a gas generator onboard), Leaf....and that's about it.

Give one of those a go and I think you'll find the experience quite nice. The Tesla and Bolt are good performers too from an acceleration standpoint, both handle well too although the Bolt is wrong wheel drive, while the Tesla does everything correctly.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Interesting car Larry....
I’m looking forward to reading more about the new battery tech!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting car Larry....
I’m looking forward to reading more about the new battery tech!

Ditto on the battery(s).

I thin' exterior-wise, the car is one of those that needs to be seen 'in person' to judge yea or nay in the 'looks' department. In photos there are some weird/awkward looking body line 'transitions' here and there. :squint:

Steve

Supporter
I dunno Larry, I think the body lines in the back seat look pretty damn good.

The real question is whether or not Fisker will still be in business in 5 years or if the Emotion will just be another Karma.

Ron Earp

Admin
That's a great looking car but Fisker isn't going to produce enough of anything to influence the trajectory of EV evolution.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
That looks very interesting!

My longest daily commute involves 64 miles...I am a splendid example of their target population, the solo commuter :2thumbsup: !

Lotsa cheers!!!

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
Hmmm....

“This will do everything that your regular car commuter car will do, Reisner said on FOX Business’ “Countdown to the Closing Bell.” “Air condition, power breaks, power steering, everything that you need, except no more gas bills.”

Comes with breaks in your power, that isn't a feature!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm....

“This will do everything that your regular car commuter car will do, Reisner said on FOX Business’ “Countdown to the Closing Bell.” “Air condition, power breaks, power steering, everything that you need, except no more gas bills.”

'Editing' and/or 'proofreading' haven't been of any great concern to society in general for quite some time now...perhaps most notably in the world of 'professional'(?) journalism.

OTOH, the author might have meant exactly what was stated - there ARE breaks in the car's power!

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hmmm....

'Editing' and/or 'proofreading' haven't been of any great concern to society in general for quite some time now...perhaps most notably in the world of 'professional'(?) journalism.

OTOH, the author might have meant exactly what was stated - there ARE breaks in the car's power!

Oh come on guys! Seriously... What else would you expect from Fox?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
My longest daily commute involves 64 miles...I am a splendid example of their target population, the solo commuter :2thumbsup:

If the car itself is built to last any appreciable amount of time, at the very least it could be viewed/considered as a $15K 'disposable' personal transportation item...but then there's the nagging knowledge that $15K can buy a L-O-T of gas for one's present commuter vehicle (even at today's prices!) which would be spread out relatively painlessly over time as opposed to plunking the whole lump sum down 'in advance' to buy the EV.

'Would like to see what the rear storage area looks like size-wise since even a 'single passenger commuter car' may have to carry little freight on occasion. With that very thought in mind, building the car as a 'tandem' 2-seater with, say, a fold-down (or removable? or combo of BOTH?) back seat makes far more sense from an all-around practicality standpoint w/o adding a lot of extra weight/building cost...and 'would increase its appeal/create a larger market demographic at the same time.

JMPO. OPOMV.

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Here you go Larry
TWIZY | Electric | Renault UK

Seems like Renault have what you want!

Ian

First, know that I dunna "want" a commuter-style electric car at all...unless one considers the upcoming Porsche "Mission e" in that group...and even then it's actually the Mrs. who's expressed a genuine desire for one of those. ;)

But, regarding the Renault, it appears to have even LESS room than the SOLO! So, "Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis???!" :nice:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Since when did mocking a TV network become political?!??:lipsrsealed:

They've been tools regardless of the administration.

Reading between the lines should answer your question.

It's best we just drop the whole subject at this point, sir. ;)

Back