Happy New Year to all my fellow builders out there.

A little progress on the cold air intakes, I welded up the bottoms into the filter housings, trimmed the engine cover closures to fit over the braces, a little bubble gasket and this should be done.

SpmgyX.jpg

Rx4Nyt.jpg

It has taken an immense amount of time and different ideas to get to this point in this area, but I'm finally happy with the result.

bTl3K4.jpg

MAMD5q.jpg

I did actually get to work on the window frames today, its a job thats been avoided for way to long. It was a less than perfect installation on an original car but truing to get it all to work with a GRP door is a real pain in the ass. I need to re make the quarter light to main window dividing bar, I'd cut it out years ago to make a one piece window frame for the race program, who'd have known. so I'll have to weld that back in and weld up all the holes.

fCVSK9.jpg

So I'm trying to get enough time to punch out the last jobs on my GT-R, this one I've been avoiding for way too long. The rockers are below the aluminum floor by 3/8" or so so I want to bring the lower edge up, I'm going to split the bottom 1 1/2" off and create a joggle so that it can bolt back together once I've trimmed off the 3/8" then I'm hoping to lay up a layer of carbon over the outside of the lower rocker. At least this way if a rocker ever gets damaged its only a lower than needs repair and no paint.

Wbda84.jpg

I,ve cut eight inches then leave a quarter then eight inches leave a quarter and so on which keeps the two parts aligned.

OoH893.jpg

Then tape the back side, just covering the cut but no more. Ill lay up GRP two inches wide to create the joggle. Once dry Ill go back and cut all the quarters" out to create the two parts.

4mJ6oV.jpg

Another project for a fellow GT-R builder Ron McCall, he wanted a big brake package for his GT-R that will mainly be a track car. I had a contact that had some used six pot AP calipers, some new old stock discs and pads and used hats, all of which needed to be put together into a package. I first had to bore the disc hats to fit onto the GM hubs, then machine up some billet caliper brackets.

xZnuzM.jpg

Bgyo71.jpg

XruUlk.jpg

1khQfN.jpg

SxGP7J.jpg

So I got a little wrinkle paint on the air box parts today, Clear coat on the inside of the filter buckets black wrinkle on the outside. I left the polished pipe untouched.

QmkH1j.jpg

MkToLJ.jpg

qZ7OTV.jpg

Super happy with the resulting look, just a little foam on the top edge of the filter buckets and this area is done.

Stance, its all about the stance. This is with the splitter modification where the splitter is mounted on top of the floor in order to get the wheels fairly well tucked into the wheel arches.
Floor to underside of rocker in front of the rear wheel 4"
Floor to underside of rocker behind the front wheel 3 1/4"
Floor to underside of splitter 3" all over

Its the first time the car has been on the floor since I've had it, totally pleased with the results.

LovYUQ.jpg

IdpR6B.jpg

9yEEaP.jpg

aWPSyR.jpg

PNKNYT.jpg

Today was a good day.

WOW! Superb example of what Fran’s design, combined with copious amounts of talent and time, can produce.

Absolutely, and thanks Jared. Ive always said of the Superlite product that it is a great platform on which to build a car. You can be as creative as you wish, make it your own and have a great car at the end of it all.
And no matter who you are or what level you build to, if you get your car to the road, tagged and titled its an achievement.

Ron McCall

Supporter
Just for comparison, here's what it looks like at the same ride height without the splitter modification.

Attachments

• TBS.jpg
    TBS.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 439

Ron McCall

Supporter
And after. ( a RIDICULOUS amount of work at this stage of the build!!) Note: the car is sitting on 1.5" tall turn plates in this pic.

Ron

Attachments

• TBS s mod.jpg
    TBS s mod.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 433
I am putting the car on the ground for the first firing of the motor and a go kart ride, and I have come to the same conclusion. Either I have the front tires too far out of the wheel well, I can have the splitter too close to the street surface, or I modify the splitter position relative to the front body work. I know it must be a lot of work, but there is no way I can look at the car and have the "Stance" off.

I am putting the car on the ground for the first firing of the motor and a go kart ride, and I have come to the same conclusion. Either I have the front tires too far out of the wheel well, I can have the splitter too close to the street surface, or I modify the splitter position relative to the front body work. I know it must be a lot of work, but there is no way I can look at the car and have the "Stance" off.

Mark, if you need any info on what to do to make it happen then don't hesitate to ask. Its not a bad job to do just a little time consuming especially if you already have the radiator in and plumed. but a lot easier now than on a finished and painted car.

Back