How Do You Keep Your Garage Clean?

I’ve seen some amazing garages on this site and the floors are spotless and the tool boxes shine and the while walls are gleaming and the cars in progress are shiny.

I just painted my garage floors and walls in the Fall and you’d think that I never painted them.

The floors are dirty even though I sweep up after I work on my car.

Maybe it’s because I’m using old parts and they need to be cleaned and wire brushed before installing and everyone on this site has brand new parts, but for some reason, I don’t think that’s true. I believe that many guys are in my shoes.

How do you keep your garages clean?

Easy,

work on your car in the shop and store it in the garage... Actually it can be a full time job.. Lots of soap and water, i blow mine out with a leaf blower.. Faster and better than sweeping.

Easy,

work on your car in the shop and store it in the garage... Actually it can be a full time job.. Lots of soap and water, i blow mine out with a leaf blower.. Faster and better than sweeping.

Sadly my shop and my garage are the same thing. One car garage. It’s tight but not too tight.

Steve, I saw some nice cars that were built in a one car garage. Best of luck with your build. Take your time and enjoy the build

Thanks Walt. I am taking my time and I can’t believe how much I actually am enjoying it. It’s such therapy.

If you have a tough day at work, you come home and spend a few hours in the shop and all of your troubles seem to go away.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
My shop is not on the list of the most beautiful. In fact it is somewhat cluttered. But I do make regular attempts to clean. One of the biggest factors in keeping my shop clean is the Epoxy Coating I put on the floor. I sweep it regularly and I know that it anything is spilt on it, it gets dangerously silppery - so I tend to clean up any fluids pretty quickly.
There are some days that I just stop all projects and re-group (put everything away)...

Lucky me... I was going to upload a couple pics from my iPad, but they are too large and this forum software is so old, it won’t resize on the fly... :lipsrsealed:

Chris Kouba

Supporter
How do you keep your garages clean?

Embarassingly, I don't.

I have a 3 bay shop and it hasn't had anything resembling Randy's re-groups in a LONG time. Until this last month, when I saw something I haven't seen in a while- the floor of my shop.

The final straw was going over to help a new, local RCR owner and seeing just how organized his garage was. It was embarassing...

So I tore all the crap off the walls and moved it to the center of the shop, put up some shelving, moved the workbench, bought a roll around tool box, and started shoveling through the detritus. Most of it went away, but a small portion of it went back on the shelf. I still have LOTS more organizing to do but it's MILES away from where it used to be, and I feel like I can start working on projects in it again.

I like the idea of blowing it out, but usually end up sweeping, albeit rather infrequently though.

Chris

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Embarassingly, I don't.

I have a 3 bay shop and it hasn't had anything resembling Randy's re-groups in a LONG time. Until this last month, when I saw something I haven't seen in a while- the floor of my shop.

The final straw was going over to help a new, local RCR owner and seeing just how organized his garage was. It was embarassing...

So I tore all the crap off the walls and moved it to the center of the shop, put up some shelving, moved the workbench, bought a roll around tool box, and started shoveling through the detritus. Most of it went away, but a small portion of it went back on the shelf. I still have LOTS more organizing to do but it's MILES away from where it used to be, and I feel like I can start working on projects in it again.

I like the idea of blowing it out, but usually end up sweeping, albeit rather infrequently though.

Chris

My office got the same treatment.......................after 15 years. 'Found stuff I'd been looking for since the Mayflower landed.

MY OWN 3-Bay shop is in the crosshairs next. I may even find the Corvette I somehow misplaced in there a few years back.

You guys are a bad influence... :evil:

Sadly my shop and my garage are the same thing. One car garage. It’s tight but not too tight.

I have a shed as things are a bit of a squeeze for 2 cars in my garage. These 3 bay garage guys don't know they were born :) not that I am jealous or anything.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    406.3 KB · Views: 684
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    386.2 KB · Views: 1,172

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I have a shed as things are a bit of a squeeze for 2 cars in my garage. These 3 bay garage guys don't know they were born :) not that I am jealous or anything.

It's all relative Nick. You might see mine and get jealous, I see others' and get jealous...

At least I can see my floor now though!

7WEuIE9aAhk41flEFJp6EKltt8YZ5ZiGp6xNRwTzKkVLZCpFkUE2rUKVJTdVRjV5XI0qusXkHhuN99Ii79i4wwn8V8bx6wm1CAakg4rGdZLyLZCQWbT2NMx-8IPdM6gIrBPRDbgcxPQa52jKuXnyxTKpGUguyZqWsPyTZZMOP7t2Uiv6B7ZgQ0nmttjLTZA0c77kx2pxzYoUmO2CvCb6pmMpO1JJRT8GYdC9huinJ8QA54HrC_0jNwzQ08La7B0LwrVA4cSPYzOrRPnTQ3fbABbpfqYkeZRHJpy6GYOLdnVBG-9RTrIcopuOAJaRGxUjMSaETDhR0r54wlSl1jCDZcec1VX46zTcwyyARHT2RDiIt0nohZCK1yDKWUsi8KLJsHEbVrPo5etfN-T1YZiOxaakaVExgfYTZanE2hfHHTjkGx_F0fXQyqlX5olbyubF5AHvU93j0Fh1XXYJMueNK7gJWMtrjbn3TOaNMLu_mP3-U5CNNdSzA5RAz6a15bnb0CXIRF7CpBO92ierrH8Ze9Esc4DgWq5-Y02clrNKQ53FLwDCv8v_XpnW5oC4ecLETMkfUgNE9-5tOP8UJAR8_teWQ68qQEsU6n54s1E6u7yGFty0yPWyTYIoKkbWrckBvWFBm1FqQa2PWaDrG9YPbx2N1Yj9hYl8FQ=w1688-h949-no

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

No matter how big one's shop may be, Nick, the darned thing is NEVER big enough. Whatever available space it may start out with, before long it's filled with so much crap there's barely enough room to do anything.

These days there isn't even enough room in my own shop to change my mind. I have to step outside to do that.

My office got the same treatment.......................after 15 years. 'Found stuff I'd been looking for since the Mayflower landed.

MY OWN 3-Bay shop is in the crosshairs next. I may even find the Corvette I somehow misplaced in there a few years back.

You guys are a bad influence... :evil:

You misplaced Your Corvette, THATS FUNNY!!!

Steve
Epoxy is the way to go. Easy to clean with a wet mop. Fuel and oil spills don't penetrate and can be easily removed. It can be scratched, but only if your not careful. I put down a 30x60 foot Ucoat-it floor down over a 3 day weekend. A lifetime warranty against peeling, blistering and “hot tire” pick up.

I may be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of the epoxy floor paint. It can make the floor slippery, especially if any fluid drips or spills on it. It can also make it hard to get foot traction if you ever need to push your car in or out.

I may be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of the epoxy floor paint. It can make the floor slippery, especially if any fluid drips or spills on it. It can also make it hard to get foot traction if you ever need to push your car in or out.

The floor coating manufacture provides clear beads that you sprinkle on the surface before you apply the final clear coat just for this purpose. I used them at outside door entrances. Not a problem with water or oil on the floor.

Observation: I used colored flakes to contrast with the light blue floor color.
This also roughens the surface, but if you drop a small screw it maybe harder to find. Always have a floor magnet to find stuff I drop.

Back