GT40 Kellison

I am building a GT40 Kellison from frame up and may have a few questions along the way.
I got my 65 Corvair windshield yesterday and it fits so i am on my way. I am using Porsche transaxle, Ford 302 neutral balanced engine, Porsche 911 front steering with McPherson struts and BMW 328i brakes. It appears my biggest problem will be what color to paint it. I enjoylooking at the builds from current and previous owners and have gotten a lot of ideas from what i have seen. I dont like the corvair tailights on the early GT40s so I am going with the 2005 type round tailights. I like the front LED flat lights on the new GTs so I will do that up front. It will be an everyday driver so it will never be seen at Pebble Beach and I may put a trailer hitch to pull my39 Ford teardrop trailer.
thanks
tom

I notice that there is a Kellison "kit" for sale not far from my home. Would $4500 be a reasonable price for one of those kits?

I had a Kellison body but didn't like it. I switched to a KVA. Post some pictures of your build!

John:
:thumbsup:

It didn't look like a real GT40 - I guess I'm picky! Post some pictures of your baby!

John
:thumbsup:

I don't have a baby to photograph, yet. I noticed the kit for sale not far from where I live but I didn't buy it. I agree with you, they don't look like a real GT40. But it might be as close as a poor guy like me will ever get.

Loren.

If you decide to make the leap, make sure the body mounts perfectly on the frame. The one that I had was originally designed I believe to be mounted on a volkswagon frame.

Also, make sure you have all the parts such as windshield, back window, doors, etc - these can be almost impossible to locate.

Sounds like it might be mission impossible unless you have all the parts, engine, etc.

John

Loren.

If you decide to make the leap, make sure the body mounts perfectly on the frame. The one that I had was originally designed I believe to be mounted on a volkswagon frame.

Also, make sure you have all the parts such as windshield, back window, doors, etc - these can be almost impossible to locate.

Sounds like it might be mission impossible unless you have all the parts, engine, etc.

John

All good points to consider. The one I found for sale nearby is in fact on a tube frame set up for a VW.

I am building a GT40 Kellison from frame up and may have a few questions along the way.
I got my 65 Corvair windshield yesterday and it fits so i am on my way. I am using Porsche transaxle, Ford 302 neutral balanced engine, Porsche 911 front steering with McPherson struts and BMW 328i brakes. It appears my biggest problem will be what color to paint it. I enjoylooking at the builds from current and previous owners and have gotten a lot of ideas from what i have seen. I dont like the corvair tailights on the early GT40s so I am going with the 2005 type round tailights. I like the front LED flat lights on the new GTs so I will do that up front. It will be an everyday driver so it will never be seen at Pebble Beach and I may put a trailer hitch to pull my39 Ford teardrop trailer.
thanks
tom

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at the '17 GT front lights before you make final plans - they are
massive. I used to program these cars at the factory and can tell you the
lamp assembly will make a pumpkin seem tiny.

They are also CANBUS based operation which means you'll need a controller to
make them operate (1 per light).

It will take some heavy mods to make them fit. Anything is possible however!

Back