Sanding and polishing the GT's paint

Took some time off of work to sand the paint and polish it! It took 4 long days from start to finish. Sanding it with 1000 grit, 1500 then 2000. Then I used the 3M 1,2,3 polishing process. Disclaimer " I have done this many times before" I am happy with the results. For those of you who have seen this car in the past you will notice the transformation! I also added some Ford blue stripes on the outside of the silver. Thought I would share some pics.

Attachments

• sanded car 1.jpg
    sanded car 1.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 789
  • sanded car2.jpg
    sanded car2.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 506
  • rear curve shine.jpg
    rear curve shine.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 550
  • front shine.jpg
    front shine.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 1,001
  • front and roof shine.jpg
    front and roof shine.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 615
A few more pictures. I then drove it to Roseville Rod and Customs to have Ben York of RRC/Yorks Speed Shop install his new Spark plug wire looms fresh off his CNC machine. It was a great few days of work done. I will post images of the wire looms later because I forgot to snap some pictures of them.

Attachments

• 64 and 65.jpg
    64 and 65.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 410
  • overhead shot at Yorks speed shop2.jpg
    overhead shot at Yorks speed shop2.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 475
  • over head shot at Yorks speed shop.jpg
    over head shot at Yorks speed shop.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 480
  • Ben installing wire looms 1.jpg
    Ben installing wire looms 1.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 865
  • ben installing on wire looms 2.jpg
    ben installing on wire looms 2.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 716
Like the blue edges on the stripes. And the spotless floor!
Thanks you, I was wanting a little more P-ZAZ on the paint and the Blue did the trick I think. I love Garage spaces and cleaning them, organizing them is a good mind de-cluttering activity! I like being able to drop a slice of bologna on the floor and have the 5 second rule not apply. ha!

Beautiful, nice effort Ken! You must have a ton of clear to get away with the 1000, or perhaps it's well cured. Curious if you were able to measure the thickness in mils? I went the 1500-2000-3000-5000-machine polish route. Maybe a little overboard but I had a few more imperfections to push through after going the garage paint booth route.

Beautiful, nice effort Ken! You must have a ton of clear to get away with the 1000, or perhaps it's well cured. Curious if you were able to measure the thickness in mils? I went the 1500-2000-3000-5000-machine polish route. Maybe a little overboard but I had a few more imperfections to push through after going the garage paint booth route.
Tom I used a Makita machine polisher. the paint was about 12 years old it seems. yes 1000 was a bit aggressive but I got away with it as I was careful.

Back