My Texas Title Experiance

Yea, sorry that was a bit unclear. The site in Ft. Worth will only do inspections on assembled cars one day a month. I think its the 1st weds of every month. The Dallas site was shut down at the time.

I don't think section 2-6 applies here. A "new" branded replica must meet the given safety standards and pass an ASE safety inspection for a custom vehicle. I don't think it matters what it is a replica of as long as it is 25 years old and the new replica passes the inspection. I think section 2-6 means that you cant register an actual race car because they wouldn't meet the required standards. An actual C9 wont pass muster but a replica c9 will assuming it will pass the inspection.
Thats is how I did it and recently Dave Forster registered his in the same fashion.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Paul what does the 25 year old rule mean? Isn't this generally meant to encompass cobras, 37 ford, 356 Porsche, etc. type kits? How do we get our "new" kit into this category?

Hmm. In 1994 Dauer made at least thirteen 962 units for the road with 2 seats and even a dvd player. Looks pretty similar to an SLC?
Dauer Porsche 962 LeMans laptimes, specs, performance data - FastestLaps.com

The Dauer 956/962 was a successfull race car from 1982-1991 and a great road car since 1994. Only 13 units were built (2/year; the last in the year 2002). And: 6 of them belong to the Sultan von Brunei

I didnt find Texas DMV too picky with the registration. I even got pulled over on the way to my inspection in Ft. Worth. I had a pickup truck ahead of me with a piece of string attached to the SLC tow hook to make it look like it was being towed. It had snapped by the time the cop pulled me over, so I was just driving it. The cop laughed and just asked more questions about the drivetrain etc., etc. Then he said have fun, be safe and let us go. Fun times, lol.

It went super smoothly in Kansas. I did have to add a VIN number to the frame and you can get those on ebay fairly easily - you even pick your own vin number.

Hmm. In 1994 Dauer made at least thirteen 962 units for the road with 2 seats and even a dvd player. Looks pretty similar to an SLC?
Dauer Porsche 962 LeMans laptimes, specs, performance data - FastestLaps.com

The Dauer 956/962 was a successfull race car from 1982-1991 and a great road car since 1994. Only 13 units were built (2/year; the last in the year 2002). And: 6 of them belong to the Sultan von Brunei

I didnt find Texas DMV too picky with the registration. I even got pulled over on the way to my inspection in Ft. Worth. I had a pickup truck ahead of me with a piece of string attached to the SLC tow hook to make it look like it was being towed. It had snapped by the time the cop pulled me over, so I was just driving it. The cop laughed and just asked more questions about the drivetrain etc., etc. Then he said have fun, be safe and let us go. Fun times, lol.

Lol...that is awesome!

I got pulled over on mine last month. I "may" have been speeding. I was given a friend a ride and out of nowhere, I glanced at the rear view camera and saw 3 cars...not just 1, but THREE police SUV's. I thought I was f'd.

They simply asked me if they could take pics of the car...LOL. There were 5 police officers taking selfies and walking around the car taking photos. They didn't ask for ID, registration or nothing...they just told me to be safe and have a great day. LOL.

Hey guys,

I registered mine in Dallas 2 years ago as a 2016 ASVE (Assembled vehicle) and it was quite simple. The tax was only like $75 as Cam stated.

To get the VIN:

1) VTR 68-A from local police auto theft unit to confirm the car and parts are not stolen. In Dallas - 214-653-3430, they do it twice a month.
2) Bill of sale for key components
3) Photos of front, side and rear
Take the above to the local DMV regional office and they will assign a VIN which you need to stamp on the car

4) VTR-64 (ASE mechanic certification - took maybe 30 minutes)
5) VTR-61
6) Weight slip from certified scales (truck stop)
7) VTR-130
Take the above to the Dallas County Tax office and they will issue the plates

It passes an annual safety and emissions check as all they do is plug into the ODBII port and since there are no errors reported, all passes.

cheers,

Craig

Subscribe. Kinda curious how it'll go I Louisiana, which should be easy. Just worried about having to pay tax on the sucker. Apparently it's 4% plus local tax so looking at 10% which sucks.

I do have a good bit of family in Texas since only 8miles from the border.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I am registering my SL-C in Kansas next week. I am hoping it goes as smoothly as that! :)

I realize this is a fairly old thread, but I'm living in KS and would like to find out what kind of experience you had trying to register an SL-C.

Thanks!

Doug

OK, I see you did reply, I just hadn't read far enough, yet.

Would you please review the kind of things they inspected and asked about? Not so much receipts, that sort of thing...mostly mechanical stuff is what I'm interested in.

Last edited:
I realize this is a fairly old thread, but I'm living in KS and would like to find out what kind of experience you had trying to register an SL-C.

Thanks!

Doug

OK, I see you did reply, I just hadn't read far enough, yet.

Would you please review the kind of things they inspected and asked about? Not so much receipts, that sort of thing...mostly mechanical stuff is what I'm interested in.

Hi Doug,

It really depends on who you have inspect the car. There are 6-8 people that work there. I was lucky to get a newer gal that was super nice. I printed out a list of all the things that needed done and she followed my lead checking those.
The main thing is the title - the title has to be in order.
The second thing is that the vehicle has to have a VIN. I had ordered a vin in advance and had attached it in a place that was visible. If you put it in a place that is not visible, you will have to make it visible to them and that can be a headache as they will NOT bend over, lean over, get under the car, etc.
That is pretty much it - they won't check catalytics, signals, lights or anything of the sort, especially if the car looks like it has it all.

Angel

I had ordered a vin in advance and had attached it in a place that was visible. If you put it in a place that is not visible, you will have to make it visible to them and that can be a headache as they will NOT bend over, lean over, get under the car, etc.

I'm sure this differs by state, but when you say you ordered a VIN was it from the DMV? Just don't want something cheesy like LA made me do on my trailer with a hammer and letter/number punch.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'm sure this differs by state, but when you say you ordered a VIN was it from the DMV? Just don't want something cheesy like LA made me do on my trailer with a hammer and letter/number punch.

Go to *any* trophy shop and have them stamp engrave the VIN you are assigned or one of your choice in a piece of brass or stainless steel. VIN plates must be either welded or riveted in place from what I recall. You can buy VIN plates and special rose-rivets (pop rivets that look like flowers) on the WWW.

Go to *any* trophy shop and have them stamp engrave the VIN you are assigned or one of your choice in a piece of brass or stainless steel. VIN plates must be either welded or riveted in place from what I recall. You can buy VIN plates and special rose-rivets (pop rivets that look like flowers) on the WWW.

That is exactly what the trooper told me as well, but I couldn't bring myself to do something plain since it could be seen. I have great friends with the skills and tools to make something happen so we came up with this as my VIN tags. In Louisiana I had to have one inside the car (above master/power cell on passenger side) and one outside the car (passenger side by firewall), both had to be fairly easily seen if I got checked on the side of the road.

Attachments

• Attach5982_20190615_103925.jpg
    Attach5982_20190615_103925.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 453

Mark B.

Supporter
Reviving an older post here as I'm getting ready to register mine in the next couple of months.
I'm in Travis county so have to deal with emissions testing, but from what I understand, as long as I tune out any error triggers I should be good (I have a GM ECU).
It looks like from the above thread that the benefit to going the custom/replica route is no annual inspection, but you get hit with sales tax. The benefit of going the standard route is no sales tax, but you deal with annual inspections. ASE and police inspections look the same from what I can see.
Am I missing anything there? Thanks!

Reviving an older post here as I'm getting ready to register mine in the next couple of months.
I'm in Travis county so have to deal with emissions testing, but from what I understand, as long as I tune out any error triggers I should be good (I have a GM ECU).
It looks like from the above thread that the benefit to going the custom/replica route is no annual inspection, but you get hit with sales tax. The benefit of going the standard route is no sales tax, but you deal with annual inspections. ASE and police inspections look the same from what I can see.
Am I missing anything there? Thanks!

I'm near the end of a 4 month process in Austin, so be prepared. Every step requires an appointment, and some of them are 3-4 week wait. It adds up. The replica route means no emissions, which was a big deal with my old carb'd motor and no computer. Happy to share my story and steps offline or on phone if it helps.

Back