302 or 351W??? I'm driving myself nuts

Sorry, no video, Phillip.

BTW, I posted this to show that a well built stroker worked out for my particular application and desires. But there is a lot to be said for the smaller stroke engines discussed as far as response, durability, and cost.

I have a '71 911 with a built 327" SBC, AL flywheel, and 915 transaxle. And I really enjoy driving it to experience the near instantaneous RPM jump (and drop) in response to throttle change. The stroker in my GT40 can't match that response. And a 302's response would be better still, I assume.

Jack

Been trolling youtube and internet for build ideas. Engine Masters (I know they're a couple of shade-tree maniacs) did a video with three different heads. Very interesting. Small cam and the right head on a 408 low compression short block and engine made 484hp and 520lb.ft. of torque. That would probably do it for me. Still gotta decide on the induction. I'm wondering if anyone is using the EFI that looks like a Holley carb anywhere.

I had a 200hp 289 in a 67 Mustang with a C4 and two barrel 500cfm Holley and I loved that little motor on the street it was rev happy with plenty get up and go in that light coupe. I never revved it more than 5500rpm.

Later, I got hp crazy and built a 302 with 306hp. Holley 600 4V, Headers, GT40 Heads, 460 lift, 288 duration Cam, Dual point dist. Man it flew as the revs built up and sure thing it had much more hp; however, on the street it was just not as fun to drive as the 289 2V. Was great getting on the highway and pulling hard but not as fun stop light to stop light!

Some times the big motor is not the funniest to live with. I also built a Kelmark GT with a custom tube frame and an Olds 455 with Toronado transaxle and that was 400hp crazy fast in a strait line but too heavy for a good ride or cornering. Sure it sounded amazing and commanded respect at car get togethers but it was too much for the street. Just my five cents worth...

Here's my old Kelmark GT with custom tube frame and Olds big block 455 and Toronado transaxle I rebuilt that I mentioned in my last post.

It would give most GT40 replicas a good run for the money! Lol

I could not resist the Dino/ Ferrari paint scheme!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 279

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
The blue car did not have a miss at 1200 rpm cruising nor at 6,000 rpm in an gear.:thumbsup:

Dwight

The blacked out tail light panel is actually a mesh grill that allows heat to exit the engine bay...it sure worked and looked cool. The Kelmark GT455 had two radiators to keep it cool. The second was at the back just ahead of that vented tail light panel with two electric fans moving the hot air out the back.

Back