Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the links.

After reading the first link and scanning the second, I find that the content was much the same as it surrounded VR Systems and NC. I did find a lot of conjecture and some supposition in the articles. Both also said that the actual vote tallying was not impacted. However, there may be some voters that were turned away inappropriately. It would have been the responsibility of the counties to have audited those incidents and I find it odd that they apparently did not.
The NPR report seems to indicate that older systems are easier to hack than the newer ones. Coming from a more than 40 year career in Information Technology and Data Security, I can attest that this “may” be true of some systems depending upon the languages and tools used to create them.
A very commonly accepted myth is that most all systems have “back doors”. I can honestly say that in the literally millions of lines of code I and my teams have produced for both batch and realtime / online systems - this is not true. Still, I could sing this tune until the cows come home and people will choose to believe only what they want to believe - and most of the world wants to believe in some sinister or more exciting story...

I think there was probably hacking of systems, but have to rely upon the experts in the field to actually confirm and corroborate that vote tallies were not directly impacted (IE, 40 million votes pulled from HC and aligned to DT - etc..)...

This should serve as a wake up call for all systems to be appropriately hardened and secured well in advance of the next election cycle.

One of the biggest concerns I had as a Systems Architect and Data Security Manager was the people in trusted positions. So, we implemented double and triple locks and logs. You could do absolutely nothing within the systems without being monitored and logged. Yes, in many cases we even had people watching the watchers who were monitoring those that were allowed hands on to the systems. Data could not be manually “touched” (IE changed, moved, etc.) ever. Only approved system tools, reviewed, tested, logged could touch the data. We took this very seriously and I would hope that our local / state / federal governments would be as equally concerned and prepared.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Paper ballots.

Can't hack those.

Issue 'em with instructions in BOLD RED PRINT directing the voter to detach all "chads" (et al) or the ballot flat-out WILL NOT be counted.

After all, punch ballots worked just fine for d-e-c-a-d-e-s.

Voter I.D.s ought to be the rule as well...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Please delete that Randy. I no more want to pollute the forum with that than with this thread. The door will have to pretty fast to hit my backside on the way out trust me.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Sounds like another gun nutter who thinks the present situation is acceptable.

Fortunately, that type of person is in an increasing minority in this country.

A shame though for the responsible gun owners in this country, who are going to see their rights limited because a bunch of recalcitrant nutjobs think it is ok to see kids get shot in schools because "I like guns!"

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
How long until kids bring sawed off shot guns to school and do their dirty deeds? Knives, bombs made of common household items can maim and kill as well...
I think that we are looking at masking the true symptoms by reacting to the devices used rather than the true underlying cause of these mass killings.
Personal accountability as parents needs to be examined. Have you seen the video games parents use as “baby sitters” for their children? A kid gets proficient at the game and grows weary of the same-o-same-o so he decides to see if he is just as proficient at really killing? Does it rejuvinate the “thrill” that the game once gave him?
Not saying that these are the only causes, but certainly believe that they are contributors....

How long until kids bring sawed off shot guns to school and do their dirty deeds? Knives, bombs made of common household items can maim and kill as well...
I think that we are looking at masking the true symptoms by reacting to the devices used rather than the true underlying cause of these mass killings.
Personal accountability as parents needs to be examined. Have you seen the video games parents use as “baby sitters” for their children? A kid gets proficient at the game and grows weary of the same-o-same-o so he decides to see if he is just as proficient at really killing? Does it rejuvinate the “thrill” that the game once gave him?
Not saying that these are the only causes, but certainly believe that they are contributors....

I think killing related games deaden the child to the true meaning and consequence of death. The home atmosphere and parents are responsible for the mental well being and actions of the child, and should held accountable. You have to take a test for a drivers license, but anybody can squirt out a kid.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
My opinions follow - they may be right or wrong in the eyes of many::
You are absolutely right about the death rates related to Opiod abuse Al....
But I see this as a different problem. In this case, it is largely the fault of those in the medical community that over-prescribe opiods because patients are demanding them to.
Yes, there is also the illicit drug use / abuse and we do have laws on the books to prevent that - but those laws are just too difficult to enforce as they exist today..

My opinions follow - they may be right or wrong in the eyes of many::
You are absolutely right about the death rates related to Opiod abuse Al....
But I see this as a different problem. In this case, it is largely the fault of those in the medical community that over-prescribe opiods because patients are demanding them to.
Yes, there is also the illicit drug use / abuse and we do have laws on the books to prevent that - but those laws are just too difficult to enforce as they exist today..

But opioid deaths are more preventable than the odd mentally ill person with the will to kill. just because it's more violent and pushed into view by the media for obvious reasons doesn't make the death anymore real.

If the Opiod epidemic was declared a "National Emergency" by Comrade Trump, then maybe something could be done about the problem. But of course, Comrade Trump declared it only a "Public Health Emergency." The difference is money and scope. A "Public Health Emergency" receives less money and does not involve FEMA. So, at least some of the blame should be directed towards our illegitmate president.

And really, why does it have to be "either or"? The government can multi-task and help fix both the gun problem and the opiod epidemic.

Trump declares opioid epidemic a public health emergency - CNNPolitics

You have to love yesterday's blunder when Comrade Trump compared Mexicans to "professional mountain climbers." So, not only does Mexico send us their rapists and their drugs, but also they're sending us their "professional mountain climbers." :thumbsup::lol:

Twitter Erupts Over Donald Trump's 'Immigrants Are Pro Mountain Climbers' Warning | HuffPost

Honestly, you make this stuff up.

Build the wall, but make sure Mexico pays for it. However, it's not going to stop many, if any. It's like they've never watched the movie "The Great Escape" or heard of the Pacific Ocean.

I want Mexico to pay for it. Just like he promised.

Keith

This thread makes very little sense to people not in the USA.

Fact
Trump won the election and became President
Fact
The Left did not like this and are bellyaching a lot about him being in the position as if the world is about to end
Fact
Previously Obama was in this office
Fact
the Right did not like this and complained but generally got on with life
Fact
Nothing said on this thread will make any difference to the above, just noise.

Come back Jim I liked your debates!

Ian

Bit late with this. That makes way too much sense Ian, so I'm issuing you with a warning not to exercise common sense on this thread again.

Sorry..

Gun Deaths Are Mostly Suicides - The New York Times

Roughly 1/3 of gun related deaths in the US are homicides, 2/3 are suicide which would be accomplished with or without a firearm. About 13,000 or %.0046 percent of the population dies by firearms homicide yearly. Far above that are Cancer, heart disease, medical screw-ups, auto, alcohol, cigarettes, opioid, drunk drivers, etc. And all of those deaths could be made far less if we were as concerned as we are about firearms. All of these happen every minute of every day. I guess it makes a difference where you shine the spotlight.

If the Opiod epidemic was declared a "National Emergency" by Comrade Trump, then maybe something could be done about the problem. But of course, Comrade Trump declared it only a "Public Health Emergency." The difference is money and scope. A "Public Health Emergency" receives less money and does not involve FEMA. So, at least some of the blame should be directed towards our illegitmate president.

And really, why does it have to be "either or"? The government can multi-task and help fix both the gun problem and the opiod epidemic.

Trump declares opioid epidemic a public health emergency - CNNPolitics

Obama could have been more concerned as well

Obama could have been more concerned as well

I agree, but he did try. A Republican Congress didn't help either.

Obama signs opioid bill | TheHill

But forget about history, what about today? Do something now.

I mostly object to comparing gun deaths and some other national problem where we have deaths. You can simultaneously fix two or more problems.

What it will take is more young people being elected to Congress. After Conor Lamb was likely elected yesterday, we'll now only have 6 Millennials in Congress. Once the Millennials become a strong voice, we may be able to fix some of our problems in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back