SouthernGT No6

Slow progress with a few things at the moment. My car came to me third hand with only a few panels having been riveted on by the first owner, it’s only take me 10 years to get the rest done. Inevitably some panels had gone missing, namely the triangular ones at the rear to make the chassis more monocoque like in its appearance. Mick at Southern GT supplied the required missing parts at a very reason able free of charge rate. So it was out with my DIY powder coater, few blemishes in the finish but that just adds to the patina ;)

Also fitted the fire extinguisher, after a very interesting conversation with Frank Catt about fire extinguishers and cars, it is a bit of a white elephant but its looks please a little mind like mine. Feeding the wire through the door, through the access panel to seal off the fuel lines required for IVA and past the wiring loom proved problematical , but with the help of a wire coat hanger it was achieved.

Also, having some starting issues so decided on advice to fit a larger battery, still have some starting issues ho hum :(

They are predicting some very cold weather over the next few days so that combined with me being in charge of childcare on Friday (I have my excuse lined up) may stop play this week.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 652
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 666
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    441.8 KB · Views: 744
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 759
  • 007 (2).JPG
    007 (2).JPG
    375.6 KB · Views: 677
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 635
  • 1730168_1.jpg
    1730168_1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 503
they look brilliant Nick m8 .. where did you get the pop out window edging ?

Thanks Jonny, although I can look brilliant from a distance (great distance and if you squint) :) I was dreading someone asking me as I looked at so many seals sites. I will try and track it down may take a few days as it GT40 club meeting tonight, then work until Monday morning :(

Hi Nick,
great work. What are you plans for paint and are you still planning to take it to LeMans Classic in July?
Regards,
Andy

Hi Nick,
great work. What are you plans for paint and are you still planning to take it to LeMans Classic in July?
Regards,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks going to the painters in 4 weeks, could have done with more time to actually drive it first to make sure everything is ok. Going to the classic in my newly acquired Lotus Elan M100 :) don't suppose you have any left over bits for it at work by any chance ;)

Took the 40 to our local independent Porsche garage today to get the GEO and ride height set up by Robert. Took a bit of time as being an early Southern GT (chassis NO6), some adjustments have to be made by removing wishbone bolts, then winding the rose joints in and out. SGT improved the wishbones, fairly early on in production, so that they can be adjusted in situ without having to remove the bolts.

Although GT40’s are because Porsche are for girls ;) they did have a very nice 2.7 RS Carrera replica for sale at an eye watering £125,000. The staff had to push the car in as I have a bit of an occasional starting issue at present. Interestingly to me, despite this and being surrounded by some very expensive machinery they were working on, they all came out to hear me start the car and watch it drive off.

Think Robert got a sneaky measurement in when I wasn't looking as he gleefully told me I have a GT 38 and a 1/2 :)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 613
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
The general consensus of opinion from the weber IDA tuners I have spoken to was to "take off my stack screen filters and sling them as far as I can". With running without stack filters in mind I thought it best to make up a rear clip filter so shamelessly stole an idea from Chuck and Ryan's RCR Build.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 434
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    580.3 KB · Views: 500
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    517.8 KB · Views: 447
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 441
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 497
Big day today off to have his body titivated and painted. Quite near to Blackpool so fittingly some of the work is going to be done by an EX TVR body man who is apparently looking forward to the job. The business is owned by someone well respected in Lotus circles so I believe everything should be coming up roses :)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 440
Back