How Do You Keep Your Garage Clean?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I’m with Grady...
The flakes alone offer pretty fair traction.

I can't seem to manage to keep it clean at all! Despite monthly sweeping and blowing it off with air. Too many small diverse projects all of the time.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I can't seem to manage to keep it clean at all! Despite monthly sweeping and blowing it off with air. Too many small diverse projects all of the time.

...and I'll bet, like me, you discovered what once WAS your 'cavernous' garage in the beginning somehow all-to-soon morphed into a cramped broom closet?

More space, more "stuff"!
2 car garage containing a welding shop, wood shop, mechanical shop and fiberglass shop.

Any garage floor that isn't getting a regular does of coolant, engine oil, brake cleaner, WD40, brake fluid, etc. isn't a working garage. That's called car storage.

The bottom line is that if you're actually doing stuff on your car...not just being a check writer or a Turtle Wax mechanic....then you're going to have fluids and dirt landing on your garage floor. You can minimize what's getting on the floor with catch pans and such but some stuff is going to miss and end up on the floor. Personally, I use a combination of catch pans for specific jobs and I also lay down pieces of scrap carpet under the cars (from the carpet store) where things may drip. That goes a long ways.

Epoxy is a good suggestion too....and is on my list for this summer.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Carpet.....Cheap, nice surface to work on, readily available at Home Depot, disposable.

Attachments

• 29314385_1045184008964934_4791963815903598303_n.jpg
    29314385_1045184008964934_4791963815903598303_n.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,016
Dr. David......assuming you might be a medical Dr. its nice to see you followed the habit of sterile environments by having a garage that looks similar to operating room clean. WOW! What Jack said!

Howard, I follow your lead. This works for me, tried and true!

Mesa, brilliant and very funny response.

Did some clean up today. Finally got to see the top of my workbench. Other than a lot of carts and machinery, it's not too bad now. Blew it out and swept & mopped it.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
More space, more "stuff"!

...until there is no more "space".

Because of my so-called "neighbors", the size of my detached garage was limited 'by code' to 3 stalls square foot-wise. After the installation of both double and single wide hoists, it now holds 6 vehicles. That being the case, when said garage is tidy (which hasn't been the case for quite some time now) there isn't even enough room inside to change my mind.

So, I'm presently looking to buy an off-site storage building so I can turn said on-site detached garage back into a garage/SHOP.

Truth be told, I'm really too darned old now to even bother...

I’m a big fan of wall to wall carpet in the garage. Makes it comfortable to lie on when working under a car, warm in the winter, reflects light if you use light colored carpet, dropped nuts and bolts don’t ricochet into oblivion either. And if you raid your neighbors when they are installing new carpet, it’s free.

Disadvantages are obvious—fluid spills require more work to resolve, and oil stains are basically permanent.

As for cleaning? I am the absolute worst. My tools tend to migrate from the toolboxes to the floor of the garage until the toolboxes are almost empty, then eventually there’s a big tidy-up and the process starts again.

I have three cars and four motorcycles in my garage so things are a bit tight!

Attachments

• AF06B212-52FB-4082-ACD6-C9A5F4B41938.jpeg
    AF06B212-52FB-4082-ACD6-C9A5F4B41938.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 510

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

...uh...'hate to break this to you, Mike...but...from the photo 'twould appear to this unbiased observer things have gone well beyond being "tight" around there! "Overflowing" would seem to be a far more accurate adjective!

(TWO Panteras??? 'HOARDER!!!)

I’m a big fan of wall to wall carpet in the garage. Makes it comfortable to lie on when working under a car, warm in the winter, reflects light if you use light colored carpet, dropped nuts and bolts don’t ricochet into oblivion either. And if you raid your neighbors when they are installing new carpet, it’s free.

Disadvantages are obvious—fluid spills require more work to resolve, and oil stains are basically permanent.

As for cleaning? I am the absolute worst. My tools tend to migrate from the toolboxes to the floor of the garage until the toolboxes are almost empty, then eventually there’s a big tidy-up and the process starts again.

Dang Mike, if I was one of your neighbors I'd say "Hey Mike, get all those damn cars out of the driveway, looks like a used car lot!" Other than the beautiful pantera that is.......

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Dang Mike, if I was one of your neighbors I'd say "Hey Mike, get all those damn cars out of the driveway, looks like a used car lot!" Other than the beautiful pantera that is.......

2 red VW Scirocco mkI + another in geen?

2 red VW Scirocco mkI + another in geen?

...and a silver one too.

Yes, it’s a sickness. But as they are my daily drivers, having four of them helps ensure at least one will get me to work in the morning! :laugh:

My wife and I have 12 cars between us. The red Pantera is hers, along with a 2000 Mustang track car. It’s a bit ridiculous. And I suspect not all the neighbors are thrilled about it....

Back