Stephan's SLC Build Log

Stephan E.

Supporter
Here are some pictures showing me practicing and removing the timing covers for future service. All good, no issues

Attachments

• Engine_Timing_Covers_1.jpg
    Engine_Timing_Covers_1.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 377
  • Engine_Timing_Covers_2.jpg
    Engine_Timing_Covers_2.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 377
  • Engine_Timing_Covers_3.jpg
    Engine_Timing_Covers_3.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
Moving forward to the flywheel installation. At this point I have to say a big "THANK YOU" to Fran and Kristin. I had an issues with the original flywheel and RCR exchanged it within a week without a problem. Fran even emailed me back on a Sunday after I noticed the issue.

Nothing exiting to report. Just as seen many times before. All done by the book.
Flywheel_1.jpg
Flywheel_2.jpg
Flywheel_3.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
Started to hang the transmission. Installed the guide sleeves for correct alignment. Those are $4.00 a pop from the friendly Audi dealer. They perfectly center the transaxle. The adapter plate has the relief pockets for them already machined. The transmission slid right into place using an engine hoist. Will continue on the suspension rods and drive shafts soon.View attachment 90350View attachment 90351View attachment 90352View attachment 90353

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
I strapped the Graziano in, mounted the drive shafts and diffuser to check for clearances. Now since the transmission is in I have a better idea on how to support and to reinforce the diffuser.
Transaxle_1.jpg
Transaxle_2.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
Joel was over today and helped me to set the body on to check if the rear shell will clear the engine. We set preliminary ride height to clear the wheels. We had to keep our fingers crossed when we lowered the rear. AND IT DOES FIT!

Now I have to figure out the exhaust and rear cross brace design...

Attachments

• Engine clearance to rear shell_1.jpg
    Engine clearance to rear shell_1.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 366
  • Engine clearance to rear shell_2.jpg
    Engine clearance to rear shell_2.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 405
  • Engine clearance to rear shell_3.jpg
    Engine clearance to rear shell_3.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 384
  • Engine clearance to rear shell_4jpg.jpg
    Engine clearance to rear shell_4jpg.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
Joel was over today and helped me to set the body on to check if the rear shell will clear the engine. We set preliminary ride height to clear the wheels. We had to keep our fingers crossed when we lowered the rear. AND IT DOES FIT!

Now I have to figure out the exhaust and rear cross brace design...

Great seeing you again Stephan and glad it all fit together rather nicely. That is a heck of an engine and your car is coming along so well. Talk to you soon.

Stephan E.

Supporter
I was able to create a mockup of the new cross brace from PVC tubing. Test fitted and ready to become reality. 1.5" DOM tubing and 5/8 tube adapters for the rod ends are on order.

Attachments

• Cross Brace_1.jpg
    Cross Brace_1.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 395
  • Cross Brace_2.jpg
    Cross Brace_2.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 399
  • Cross Brace_3.jpg
    Cross Brace_3.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 402
  • Cross Brace_4.jpg
    Cross Brace_4.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
When I decided to go with this engine I was already concerned about the intake version being used. The Mercury engineers were smart enough to design the intake manifold symmetrical as know on the LS and I could have done the 180 degree trick. My problem is that I like the SLC body uncut as is and don't want to disturb the lines. I was already sweating bullets to get the rear shell on with the factory forward intake version. Since I am around the block a few times, I remembered from past tight turbo applications these Silicone intake adapters. I had exact 3.5 inches from throttle body collar to firewall which is also the OD of the throttle bodies. Under normal circumstances way too small to accommodate an elbow with a radius anywhere from 2 - 4 inches. These 3.5 inch adapters maintaining the open area without sacrifice by changing the shape along the way from round to oval and back to round. Eliminating turbulence and bottlenecks. I had no desire to cut and modify the firewall and alter the roll cage either. Still a few bridges to cross but this problem is solved, still leaving some room for imagination on where and how to run the tubing to the filters...

Attachments

• Intake Adapter_1.jpg
    Intake Adapter_1.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 329
  • Intake Adapter_2.jpg
    Intake Adapter_2.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 359
  • Intake Adapter_3.jpg
    Intake Adapter_3.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 367
  • Intake Adapter_4.jpg
    Intake Adapter_4.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
Thanks Joel,

I think these adapters could be an option to various SLC turbo and supercharger applications or even standard LS or any other engine with forward facing throttle bodies. They are good for positive and negative pressure. If someone is not into cutting body, firewall, structural components or simply prefers to have the air filter not in the back or does not like the rear scoop they could create an alternative. Available up to 7 inches openings in hard plastic, silicone and rubber depending on who manufactures them.

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
Thanks Joel,

I think these adapters could be an option to various SLC turbo and supercharger applications or even standard LS or any other engine with forward facing throttle bodies. They are good for positive and negative pressure. If someone is not into cutting body, firewall, structural components or simply prefers to have the air filter not in the back or does not like the rear scoop they could create an alternative. Available up to 7 inches openings in hard plastic, silicone and rubber depending on who manufactures them.

Where did you get them Stephan?

Stephan E.

Supporter
It was a slow weekend on the SLC but I was able to remove another uncertainty about the installation of this motor. The exhaust system, I believed to become a major problem due to space issues and unknown parameters on angle and port locations. It turned out that simple LS7 headers actually seem to become the weapon of choice. I got them for cheap from someone who took them off a new crate engine. Not quite the same locations as on the an LS3 or LS7 but still not out of this world. With 4.5" to work with until I am going to hit the next roadblock...After pre-fitment of the side exhaust, everything will go to Ceramic coating to reduce head radiation.
In addition I installed the A/C compressor which I opted to use standard LS equipment. The Mercury hardware was too nice to ignore.

Attachments

• Exhaust_1.jpg
    Exhaust_1.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 391
  • Exhaust_2.jpg
    Exhaust_2.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Exhaust_3.jpg
    Exhaust_3.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Exhaust_4.jpg
    Exhaust_4.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 389
  • Exhaust_5.jpg
    Exhaust_5.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 361
  • Exhaust_6.jpg
    Exhaust_6.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 332
  • Exhaust_7.jpg
    Exhaust_7.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 388
  • Exhaust_8.jpg
    Exhaust_8.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

Johan

Supporter
Concerning your post #48, a very clever solution to flip the evap 180. Did you do any research if the system will work properly with the #6 liquid line coming in to the evap on top of the #10 suction line? I have zero experience of a/c systems and can’t judge if it has any or none effect on the system performance.

I enjoy your bild log and the innovative solutions.

Stephan E.

Supporter
Hello Johan,

to invert the evaporator was already posted in another build. I was attracted to the idea having all that space available, the hose length to take out the evaporator without disconnecting and not to deal with the tight wheel well. Since I did not hear anything this version not working I think no news is good news.

How is your SLC coming along?

Cheers

Stephan E.

Supporter
I took the roll bar supports and gave them a 10 degree stretch to make room for the valve covers. And again sweating if things will fit when the hood goes goes on. And it happened again. Things clearing just fine.

Attachments

• Roll Bar_1.jpg
    Roll Bar_1.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 332
  • Roll Bar_2.jpg
    Roll Bar_2.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 336
  • Roll Bar_3.jpg
    Roll Bar_3.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
The new cross brace is on hold until all electrical components are installed. One of the next posts will explain why. I am not using the original brace, not even parts of it. Here is where I stand. I also decided to use these new tube inserts for the cross brace and roll bar supports. They are much longer and fully engage the threads of the rod ends and facing the the lock nuts flat face. So far everything is only tacked together for proper fitment.

Attachments

• Cross Brace_5.jpg
    Cross Brace_5.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 336
  • Cross Brace_6.jpg
    Cross Brace_6.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Cross Brace_7.jpg
    Cross Brace_7.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 361
  • Cross Brace_8.jpg
    Cross Brace_8.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 349
  • Cross Brace_9.jpg
    Cross Brace_9.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
I got started on routing the engine harness and fuel lines to the engine. Here are some pictures of the injectors and fuel rails with the intake removed.

Attachments

• Electrical_Engine_1.jpg
    Electrical_Engine_1.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 266
  • Electrical_Engine_2.jpg
    Electrical_Engine_2.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
To keep things nice and tidy when they are large and accumulating can be a challenge. After some homework and summing up of what actually goes into this SLC engine bay, I came up with a compromise on aesthetics, practical approach, serviceability and space savings. This only worked because I opted for the side exhaust. It is still in a very early stage and not all components or wires are installed or shown yet. The new cross brace will allow access to the components without removing it. When all in, the harnesses will be jacketed in heat shield sleeves. Also the left header will receive a heat shield at the transmission adapter plate. All components are being installed or isolated by rubber blocks or rubber mats from heat and vibrations. Heat shielding was installed underneath the rear power cell. The car will have at least two sets of Megafuse blocks. One for the front, one for the back. So far there are no components installed on firewall/bulkhead or in the triangular air intake spaces.
Electrical_Engine_4.jpg
Electrical_Engine_5.jpg
Electrical_Engine_3.jpg
Electrical_Engine_6.jpg
Electrical_Engine_7.jpg
Electrical_Engine_8.jpg
Electrical_Engine_9.jpg

Last edited:
Back