registering a gt40 in Australia

Bob - are you talking about a "real" one, or a DRB / Roaring Forties reproduction?

As you'd expect of an Australian produced kit, provided you build a DRB or RF within the engineer approved guidelines you can't possibly have a problem.

If you're sending the Real McCoy over here, you might want to send an email to [email protected] That email will get you in contact with the owner of the only genuine GT40 in Australia - # 1034. Here's his website : http://www.fouronthefloor.com.au/garage/gt40.html

Hope this helps,
Craig

thank you for you reply, I am emigrating to Australia in the spring and I have a tornado gt40 nearly finished an intend bringing it with me it as a 351W and a ZF gearbox

Bob,

I know very little about this subject, but since there has been little response to this thread, I might try to give you a feel for what may be needed.

I expect that there would be two aspects to bringing a Tornado into Australia. The first being to get it into the country (through customs) and the second being to register it for use on the road.

CUSTOMS
The first will be a matter of quarantine and the second would be duty. If your car has dirt and oil around the engine, then they may choose to quarantine it for some period to ensure that you have not brought any exotic diseases into the country. The second will be a matter of import duty (import tax). This I understand can vary quite considerably depending on the use of the vehicle. If you are imigrating and it is your only vehicle, then it will be looked upon more favourably.

REGISTERING
The laws here in Aus unfortunately differ quite considerably from state to state. However, here in Vistoria (one of the more difficult states) you can get anything through with an Engineers approval. Main considerations are crash protection, and emissions. There have been other Tornados brought into Aus, so the most you may need in crash protection is side intrusion bars - maybe. Emissions will depend on the age of the car. They will take into acount that it had been registered before, but I'm not sure how much. If your car runs on unleaded, then you probably won't have any problems as long as you run catalitic converters.

Just a final word on registration, there are club schemes too. this is where your car is a special interest car and is only permitted to be driven on club events. This is mainly for things like historic cars that normally would not make it through the modern strict laws. For these, you would need to join an aproved club, then convince the representative that your car is safe to drive on the road.

Finally, I am a member of the Triumph Sports Owners Association, and most of this info has come from catting with Triumph owners who have brought their cars in from the UK.

Bob,
There is some good information on import tax available from the following website Import tax
Make sure you understand how much import tax you are expected to pay.
What is your time frame? I would be interested how you go as I might do the same sometime in the future.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Bob,

I have already imported and registered a Tornado in Australia as most of you know.

Please contact me by phone and I will help.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hi Gweltzl sorry its taken so long to get back I have just found your message I do find I have problems understanding web sit. IN the end I bought the car in as parts and assembled it here but gave up as it was just to hard and local help was nor available
In the end I bought a Superformance MK1 from the dealer in Vic
Bob

good to hear Deno, where abouts are you based. Im in Melbourne and beavering away on my build when I get the chance

Good day, I'm just starting to go through rego on my DRB. The engineer requires me to fit a Brake pressure fail warning light. I just can't find anything online regarding some form of fitting. the only thing I've tried is the VW type pressure switch that as am told can also do pressure fail. after following wiring diagrams. the brake pressure fail light lights up when the ignition is turned on and only goes out when the brake is depressed.

Has anyone got a better system or know how I can solve the VW one?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You can surely find brake priority valves at the local breaker yards. Look for one that has the wire/sensor coming off of it. Should be in the general location of the brake master cylinders/servos. Take note of the circuitry involved for the plumbing as you will need to run both front and rear circuits through it.
When one of the two circuits fails, a spool valve inside shifts to the side that failed and then turns on the light via ground connection in the sensor.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com and the world of building cars Keron!

Yep I'm an expert at taking one step forward and ten backwards. Building a car like these has its times. But mostly enjoyed every step but very slowly. Randy

Good day, I'm just starting to go through rego on my DRB. The engineer requires me to fit a Brake pressure fail warning light. I just can't find anything online regarding some form of fitting. the only thing I've tried is the VW type pressure switch that as am told can also do pressure fail. after following wiring diagrams. the brake pressure fail light lights up when the ignition is turned on and only goes out when the brake is depressed.

Has anyone got a better system or know how I can solve the VW one?

Cheers.

G’day Keron
Try looking up pressure differential warning actuator (PDWA)..
A lot of Pommy cars use them..I.E TR6, MG, Jag, Land Rover etc. :thumbsup:
Easy fix

Last edited:
Bob,
There is some good information on import tax available from the following website Import tax
Make sure you understand how much import tax you are expected to pay.
What is your time frame? I would be interested how you go as I might do the same sometime in the future.
Gweitzel I gave up in the end it was to difficult. I did in the end buy a Supperformance and as 16/05/ 2018 have not been able to get it thought.

Bob

Back