ERA for sale

In some senses there is no difference between the GE and GW heads ; after all it just a name on the valve cover. However, in period heads badged as Weslakes were the race versions (Weslake mk1,2,3,and 4), only the last version having the inclined carbs. Gurney then developed a detuned, cheaper casting based on this mk4 design destined, he hoped, for a Ford high performance road car program; which never transpired. As a result he was left with a large number of these heads and those are the ones that would have been badged Gurney eagle. Since the valve covers can be swapped between the 4th and 5th versions, the name on the cover is not necessarily an indication of what is underneath!

I saw this car for the first time in 2011 at Carlisle when I was about to decide to order an SPF. This ERA car was simply the best replica I had ever come across and I decided to order an ERA based on what I saw. If I wasn't having my own built at the moment, I'd be all over this one.

Next stop for that ERA is Oak Brook, IL. I had an early SPF MkII. This ERA checks a lot of the boxes that I decided were desirable for my next GT40. I had even been considering that Gelscoe car that seems to be still available and thought this would probably be a better fit for my needs. Thanks for the comments which had some bearing on my decision.

Next stop for that ERA is Oak Brook, IL. I had an early SPF MkII. This ERA checks a lot of the boxes that I decided were desirable for my next GT40. I had even been considering that Gelscoe car that seems to be still available and thought this would probably be a better fit for my needs. Thanks for the comments which had some bearing on my decision.
Nice, I hope you enjoy it.

Hearty congratulations Mike... It's a beautiful car. I wish I had been able to sell my GT in time to make the buy. Give it a good home and enjoy it! Awesome, awesome car!

The car arrived in Oak Brook this morning. Thankfully, it appears to live up to its hype. Having built a Superformance GT40 in the past, I know how temperamental these projects can be. It was a project to carefully get in those doors to carefully steer that wide tail out of the truck. When we got the car off the truck and it popped right off after sitting in the top nose of the truck for a few days, I sensed that to be a very good omen!

Very much looking forward to your input on the car Mike! Some pics too!!

One observation so far is that having RHD with rods for shift linkage it feels like a precision bolt action rifle compared to my LHD Superformance with cable shift linkage. Driving on the right side in such a compact space does not take much getting used to. What does take some practice is getting into and out of the car from that side! I wish I had a video of our getting the car out of the delivery truck with the GT40 style door so close to the wall of the truck. We could only open the door a small amount. I had to climb OVER the door from the front and enter via a space in the roof. Thank goodness the driver remembered how the dealer was able to exit the car when they put it in the truck. The difference being that the dealer was very compact... like many a successful race car driver.

Mike, I member that same exit and entry maneuver to load and unload the car from an enclosed trailer. It required a certain amount of agility and dexterity that I was surprised I could still muster at my current age and state of fitness.

Neil

Supporter
Mike, I member that same exit and entry maneuver to load and unload the car from an enclosed trailer. It required a certain amount of agility and dexterity that I was surprised I could still muster at my current age and state of fitness.

69dbd6_5c5dd01d14c84eb3ada61787e9fced52~mv2.jpg
Jimglo: https://www.jimglo.com/envy

The Hemmings pics are down, so you're obligated to post more. :)
Hi Ron,

Check out the web site of the dealer who sold me the car at www.motorclassiccorp.com/classic-cars-for-sale.html

His dealership is called Motor Classics and Competition Corp. and he's in New Bedford, NY. He keeps photos of cars he sold on there and there must be dozens of shots of this car still there taken by a pro. If there is something you would like to see that they missed, let me know and I'll try to get you a shot, but I'm certainly not as good a photographer.

By the way, I seem to remember you as the person working on a long term project building a road car. If that's the case, I'd like to chat about that with you sometime.

Very much looking forward to your input on the car Mike! Some pics too!!

Most surprisingly, the car seems so far to meet up with its glowing reports, as advertised. This car has a much more vintage and finished feel to it and in many ways that are important to me reminds me of the originals. The car came to me with 00126 on the odometer and it sure seems realistic that it's accurate! I'd like to learn a bit more of the car's history, if possible, without prying. There must be a bit of a story behind it. There is a car with a similar livery pictured in a manual posted on the ERA web site. I wonder if this is that car, or if that livery was just popular with ERA and/or their customers. I don't recall these colors from any of the famous race GT40's, not that I'm familiar with many of them.

Nice car. Anyone know what fuel pumps those are? Look like Stewart Warners, but outlets are different.
Believe it or not, I haven't yet opened the rear deck lid. As iconic Dick Teague of American Motors used to say, I've been "up to my ass in alligators" lately. When I do, I will look for any identifying marks and post a photo if I spot anything.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
It looks like someone hollowed out the SW 240’s and put inline pumps in the cavities. Nice workmanship if that is what happened.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice car. Anyone know what fuel pumps those are? Look like Stewart Warners, but outlets are different.
They are modified Carter “vane” design pumps from the look of it.
Not sure how long those pumps will live in that configuration as vane pumps are not good “lift” pumps...
E5197BDB-746E-4CF4-AC45-822993390E62.jpeg
716D45AA-0D89-43FB-AEE3-651F28A0821E.jpeg

Back