McCopy mk 5

Have got a couple of those uprights here, will check ackerman on those and get back to you. If it has akerman your rack will likely need extended by that amount at each end. On those pics height does not look bad.

Sorry, mine are Supra. Quick check to see if I am on right track, turn steering wheel to left so rack moves ~20mm toward wheel, then without moving rack adjust that LH tie rod end inward until LH wheel is in straight ahead position. Then lift wheel/hub up and allow to drop thru full travel and observe toe change.

Thanks Jac, I will try that next week.
Drove past your place a couple of weeks ago...felt sure I could recognize your entrance but failed. Next time. Had a look at the GT40 and Jaguars at Classic Car Developments and was blown away by the skill levels. Dave was very accommodating and spent time with me, a nice bloke.
Also went thru Hayes and saw the Begg, so many similarities to my original car. Had the only frost in 3 weeks, no snow and no dramas in 4500k`s. Our Fiat Ducato has an automated manual gearbox, unusual but really great for driving on slushy greasy roads, we went over the Lindas Pass the day after it was closed and really appreciated being able to roll down the hills still in `gear`. We hope to be able to do the same trip in Jan /Feb all going well.
Cheers

Road frontage has been tidied up a bit since your last visit Russell, still exit SH1 @ same point but gate is ~70m west toward Gore, and gradient a bit more vehicle friendly! With a wet winter you would have had to wash van anyway! When it freezes the ABS in the Subaru gets a real workout on way down, actually had to use handbrake & spin it once as I was running out of options.

Funny story'now'. When I built shed I hired compressor & rock drills from local building co, They loaned me MF 135 to tow it up to site as it was mounted on 4 wheel trailer with turntable front axle. at weeks end when returning it all turned to custard as soon as I pointed the rig down hill and weight of compressor & trailer took over, you know things are turning bad when one wheel is rotating backward on a tractor, Option I took was to shift into high gear and open up throttle, that got me thru the hairpin in trees and it was all straight downhill with run off thru fence at bottom, as last resort I dropped the front end loader bucket and lifted the front wheels off ground, stopped about 2 feet from fence! Drove very sedately back into builders yard in town.... foreman walks over and first thing he said was how did I get on coming down driveway..... I said Id prefer not to answer that Question!... then he pointed out the huge concrete block they usually fit to the 3 point linkage when towing the unit..... Great I said, Ill remember that if I ever need it again!!!!

Jac, that explains things.
I ventured into the shed armed with my new `knowledge` and a fresh mind, Lengthened the rack approx 20mm and run the front thru its range.....hey presto, close as first time.
After a couple more positions we were well within tolerance without any surgery. I shall make up a new end fitting 25mm longer and that will allow some further adjustments.
I had feared that I was going to have to chop my mounts out as all previous positions pointed to more lowering of the rack. We are off to Aussie soon for a couple of weeks and then back for an oncology meeting that will be quite defining.
Your tractor incedent reminds me of my first day at Hirepool some 45 yrs ago, got told to deliver a forklift up the road....got it into the middle of the road waiting for the traffic to clear before crossing the road....then floored it only to turn it the wrong way (rear steer). Very exciting.
Now that the rack is more or less all go, I can now complete the front bulkhead, brake reservoirs and throttle mounts.
Thanks again
Russell

Good to hear the extenders will help, If you ended up having to move the ~25mm to get it right on that one side then you will need that 25mm amount of extension at each end of the rack to allow for both sides and have the rack in a central position of travel. ( Unless you have more rack total travel than reqd in which case you might be able to add the total ~50mm of extension at one end only and shift steering shaft on splines for straight ahead position.

Neil

Supporter
Russell;

Your forklift story reminds me of the first public showing of the STP turbine Indy car. Andy Granatelli was quite a promoter so he had a big gathering of the motoring press outside a hanger where the car was housed. On cue, the doors were rolled back, the driver started its engine and drove it right into the hanger door frame. They had installed the steering rack upside down. :shocked:

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Copy Jac, the total length increase was 20mm which I can accommodate extending on one side as we set up the left first, worked out approx how much extra and then added the correct amount to the other side. I shall just turn up a new end adaptor plus 20mm with maybe a bit more to play with.
Cheers

Just been to the Speedshow here in Auckland and maybe its time for a motor change, which one do you think would be the most suitable. Cost appears to be no problem.. DSCN4492.JPGDSCN4486.JPGDSCN4498.JPGDSCN4488.JPGMy axel`s might say otherwise.

Neil

Supporter
Russell;

That intake manifold you show in your second photo is a little like one I bought from Erick Falconer a number of years ago.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Attachments

• Falconer Intake Manifold 003.JPG
    Falconer Intake Manifold 003.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 361
Just in case you thought I had gone to sleep... Finally my dash is completed, I went the male mold direction and struggled with my surface hence about 8 recoats. Meanwhile most other parts are on hand or due in the next few days from being machined.(Radial brake mounts and steering rack adaptors, rear axel adaptors) Made a good job of fitting off the rear brake hose mounts.....stood back and then thought...ok where are the axels going to fit now? just a small remount required.
In my spare time we did 3 weeks touring the South Island and the a few weeks later we did 2 1/2 weeks in Aussie and drove from Melbourne up the coast to Sydney, I thoroughly recommend that drive all those beautiful harbor`s and bays, such clear water. Biggest drama was how dry the land was..burnt brown and a massive fire risk.
As I had previously half wired the car, now I can complete the wiring thru the dash etc.
Then maybe some more road trips. Still got a few more bucket list ideas planned for Carol.

Attachments

• DSCN4737.JPG
    DSCN4737.JPG
    895 KB · Views: 404
John
Sorry to disappoint you but those `happy` dash lights (pc correct answer) are green left and right turn indicators, red ignition light, green lights on and blue hi beam. I got them on line and they turned out a little larger than I would have liked.
Cheers

Finally got my Willwood Radial caliper mounts finished and mounted, took a bit of blind faith using my eyeometer for fit...all bolted up straight and true. These calipers do not seem to be listed at Willwood which is a shame as they are far superior than the seperate little round puck units.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN4738.JPG
    DSCN4738.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN4739 (1).JPG
    DSCN4739 (1).JPG
    363 KB · Views: 370
Mate looking good i do like those calipers, have you got a part number for future reference.
cheers John
John, from memory they are a bit of a mystery being as not listed on the Willwood site, I understand that they are only available in NZ from Cardwells or in the UK. As you can see, the part number is written on the box. I had a great crowd in CHCH do the cables at a rate less than originals! They have a very effective purchase on the pads for the hand brake.
I could help with the NZ side if needed.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN2027.JPG
    DSCN2027.JPG
    807.7 KB · Views: 366
IIRC they were available thru some of the Rally car outfits mainly due to the provision of handbrake mechanism, Not a big seller in speedway & circuit sector of market.

Are you not confusing them with the small round puck caliper? as these appear to be much better with greater leverage and pad area.
Got the left hand axel in place with all the `other` bits. Found oil pressure last week with fuel sorted this week so once the Microtech tuning program arrives, we will be into making some noise.

Attachments

• DSCN4777.JPG
    DSCN4777.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 331
Back