OEM Steering Wheels

Does anyone out there have a source for a

reasonably priced OEM or good replica GT40

steering wheel? The one OEM that I found is

a bit pricey.

Bill

www.cobraaccessories.com has an OEM GT40
steering wheel on page 20 of their online
catalog, but check out that price! $560.00!

I believe they are located in Florida,USA

Bill

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

G

I've been looking for one too. Best price seems to be Torondo at abt 90 pounds (abt $140).

G

i got mine from finish line. it is the same one used back then. it is the original steering wheel. its a moto lita with the flat surface in black and the blue leather. it is pricey but maybe you guys can get a group discount if a few of you buy them.

their number is 954-436-9101

cheers

luis

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: HOTSHOT ]

Luis,

Thanks. Finish Line's price was $350

complete. I can live with that number. NOT!

Bill

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

G

350.00 is ridiculous and 560.00 is ludicrous

5 minutes of surfing found this leather/alum grant for $126.87. Mind that this doesn't include adapter or horn button.
http://www.grantproducts.com/grant.fm$retrieve?seqnum=115675&html=grantdetail

One thing that's nice about GT40's is they were all a little different, so this allows some leeway as to what is "correct". Of the only two interior shots in "GT40 the legend lives on" one of the wheels has no center logo.

I'll also ask my buddy with the Mark V, seem to remember he had an inexpensive source for a correct wheel, although the Toronado sounds like a good bet.

G

When you call England the code is 011 44, drop the 0 at the beginning of the number, remember you pay no vat as you live in the states.
Did you not get the correct wheel with your car? Some of those prices I saw were crazy.

The $350 beats the $560, but $125 sounds about right.
Where do these people come up with these ridiculous prices? Gougers!
I looked at the Mountney wheels. Not too bad,
especially for the price.
I'm still looking, as the $350 & $560 were for the exact same wheel. Maybe somebody out there has it for less.

Bill

G

Bill,
Take your time and check prices, theres a lot of sharks out there. It would be a good idea if there was a list of reliable vendors, that would give a lad a fair price.

Malcolm,

Wouldn't it be great if there was A GT40

parts database? It sure would make things

easier. GT40 Mart. All the best prices for

all your GT40 needs in one place. I WISH!

Bill

G

No need to buy a replica, you can still order the original wheel from the original manufacturer here in England, Moto-Lita Ltd.
They still have the original patterns and can make the flat spoked wheel with slots in the rim and a slate blue (original) or black leather rim. Don't try to find it in their catalogue, it's special order only.

Moto-Lita Ltd.
Thruxton Airport Industrial Estate
Near Andover
Hampshire
United Kingdom
Zip Code: SP11 8PW
Phone: 0011 44 1264 772811
Fax: 0011 44 1264 773102

Ask for a GT 40 wheel, flat spokes with slots and specify the rim colour. Also ask for 6 no 5.5m.m. diameter bolt holes at a pitch circle diameter of 78 m.m.
They can do 15"(original),14" or 13" diameter. We nearly all run 13" wheels in the UK.
The price was £130.00 (about $210.00) in 2000, so it may have gone up a bit since then.
Please be aware that you are dealing with a British Craftsmanship operation and not Microsoft, so things don't happen instantly, just lay back and enjoy the experience!

Once you have got your wheel you need a bezel and a badge for the front and a boss for your steering column. I have a sketch with dimensions of the bezel measured off an original car, as well as a photo of the whole assembly, e-mail me and I will send them, any good machinist can make the bezel and boss.
The badge is more difficult. I had 10 made last year but they have all gone, I think Fran Kress does one, the correct diameter is 58m.m.
I hope this is helpful.

G

Andrew, I believe what you are describing is the same thing that Finish Line has minus the boss. At $350, it doesn't sound to bad.

G

Guys,

I believe the Toronado steering wheel includes the center badge. (Finishline wants $200 just for that piece.)

Bill,
Call GTDevelopment,ask Andy at +44 1675465888
Complete steering wheel with aluminium central part at arround 100 UKP I believe.
Rgds
Fred

G

Confirming the original wheel is a moto-lita and can be had here with a mount bezel and a plain alum horn button for maybe less than direct from the manufacture.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/frame.asp

The one I saw (Mark V) was 13" black leather rim, 3 spoke slotted black painted alum, purchased with a blank center and drilled on site.

G

If this works, you should see a photo of my wheel. if it doesn't work I will get a techy guy (Yes, that's you Paul T) to help me out!
GT40%20Steering%20Wheel%20front.JPG

G

Oh B*gger, Paul, Please Help!
I am the Weakest Link, Goodbye.

Back