GT Supercars Monocoque

G

Well all, we now have some pictures to give us an idea of what the whole chassis looks like. Looks pretty good.

GTSCM1.jpg

GTSCM2.jpg

GTSCM3.jpg

GTSCM4.jpg

GTSCM5.jpg

Isn't this GREAT! Another manufacturer of the GT40, here in the USA. It looks like John Hester did a wonderful job with this creation. Thanks Lynn!!

Have fun!

John

From looking at the photos, it appears to closely resemble a GTD spaeframe chassis in many ways...

The front section looks the same as any other GTD Spaceframe, as does the rear section, only covered in.

Many of the pictures of mono's I've seen duplicate the originals in the curved area just infront of the screen, whereas this, again, looks just like a GTD.....

Just my 2c worth!

Lynn

As noted on this Forum before...George
can do GREAT work when he wants to.
It's that delivery thing that worries me.

Julian

You are incorrect. John and George have
gone to great trouble to make the front
similar to the original. Check out the
photos on John's website GTsupercars.com.

Also, as I understand it, the rear chassis
member seen in the above photos is replaceable with others by John to support
different transaxles (Porsche/ZF/Audi)
which sounds like a great idea.

This "kit" is still in progress, and I know
we all wish John success bringing it to market.

MikeDD

G

MikeDD is exactly correct in his description of the chassis. IT IS NOT A COVERED SPACE FRAME! It is actually very similar to the original in many ways. Additionally, John is working with Quaife to allow their transaxle to be used as well.

John anticipates having the entire prototype completed in a matter of weeks. I spoke with him just moments ago and he said that he would be happy to talk with anyone interested in the chassis. If you would like more information on the chassis/car, please give John Hester a call at (614) 668-7470.

I hope my comments didn't offend anyone! I should have stressed I was only making observations!
smile.gif

The basic shape of the mono chassis looks like a GTD to me, but perhaps I'm a bit snowblind because I've gotten used to looking at mine!!

G

No offense taken at all, Julian, comparisons are normal because everyone is working from the same basic theme. So there are going to be similarities. But, I was one of those, early on, that made somewhat of a big deal about chassis (what is the plural for chassis ?) that were billed as monocoque or semi-monocoque when, in fact, they were merely space frames with panels that enclosed the tube frame. So I wanted to make it very clear, up front, that this was not the case with John Hester's car.

The big difference between John's and the original is the steel panel roof. They have not been able to establish acceptable repeatablity on a steel panel roof yet. (Indeed, I believe that the roof section was one of the most difficult areas with the originals as well.) Until they do that, John didn't want to put a steel roof on and provide the impression that this was the way they would be: He would rather wait than give a false impression. (I do think it remains a goal though.) He is just that kind of guy.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lynn Larsen:
(what is the plural for chassis ?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The plural of chassis is chassis. Phonetically, of course, we say chah-see for singular and chah-seez for the plural.
smile.gif

Best of luck to John Hester and company. That is a very nice looking chassis.

Regards,
Mark

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Lynn,

Is the roof section steel or is made in fibre glass as the ERA.

The chassis looks good but I hate the BLUE !

Good luck to John

Robert

Hi Robert

I missed the photo's of your RF Monocoque when we were at Le Mans, how about posting them?
PS did you get my last e-mail?
I will be at the Quaife factory visit with the GTD club on the 10 July, if there is any news on their new transaxle I will post

Regards

Chris.

G

Robert, it is fibreglass.

One thing that is not pictured here is the uprights, which will be custom cast and look remarkably like the originals. But, I believe, they will take Corvette short shaft, spacer/caliper mount, calipers, bearing, and hub. Again, I believe this is the configuration, but John can provide detail.(614) 668-7470

I am sure other colors will be available Robert ;-) I think they were going for Ford blue.

[ July 05, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Lynn,

The BLUE colour problem would be easily fixed with a coat or two of paint. If only all of our problems were so easily fixed.

I am also glad to see the fruits of Johns labours. As previously stated on this forum, he has always been straight with me and I respect him for this. I truely wish him sucess with his endevours and I relish the competition !!!!!!!!!

Chris,

Thank you for your e-mail, I will phone you this weekend and I will post some photographs soon.

Best wishes,

Robert

One thing I really like about ERAs, the
roof is actually carbon fibre reinforced.
Bonding steel to fibreglass does nothing
for structural support, which is why they
decided to use carbon fibre instead.

Ian

G

Gary, it is not stainless steel. It is a mild steel panel that has been treated for corrosion resistance. I don't know the trade name of the panels used, but I believe it is along the lines of the zincbond sheet steel.

John is busy doing the finishing touches and apologizes that he has not had ready access to a computer. He asked me to send this statement along to all on the forum:

The chassis and, indeed, a complete car (Left drive Mk 1) is for sale and we will deal with you on this car. We will also have some space frame chassis photos available this week. I am happy to make the claim that we are the only GT replica mfg to offer a monocoque chassis, space frame chassis in Mark I and Mark II versions. Each chassis will accept a multitude of transaxles and any Windsor, Modified or FE family engine at no additional cost. We also have Gulf Flares, Gurney Bubble, Canard Fins, Periscopes, door eyebrows and do this in right hand drive as well as good 'ole left hand drive. Additional monocoque and space frame photos should be available at www.gtsupercars.com in the very near future.

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Back