Spares register

Why don't we have a spares register/bulletin board that is internet based? I think that would be a really good move, it would give access to more enthusiasts and a wider audience.

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Jasper ]

Jasper,
This was suggested at the GTD40 Club AGM, a very good idea as everyone has the chance to buy the parts for sale. I can't understand why the spares secretary was unwilling to agree to this, it was suggested that this would be unworkable as members would likely not update the register when parts were sold, I suspect this would not be the case, perhaps this needs voting in!

Thank you for your reply Roy, do you think that there may be an unhealthy conflict of interests within the Club Committee?

I have seen other clubs using bulletin boards for just such a purpose, and they seem to work well enough.

Gents,

I am a GTD club member. But to this day have not been able to buy a single item from that "SPARES list"
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

For some misterious reason, the list seems unreal
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Yes, I have tried
smile.gif
A friend (who shall remain nameless) has had similar experiences
rolleyes.gif

Jasper,
In the interests of diplomacy I think we must draw our own conclusions to your question, but remember- the club is for the benefit of ALL the members.
mad.gif

All,

The list is published in the regular club magazine, though its only really started in the last two issues. I have sold items that I advertised in here. I fail to see why the present arrangement is being criticised.

Although I agree strongly an on-line database would be ideal there are technical and operational issues to address which are not trivial but lets do it!

Why don't we have an 'items for sale' page on this web-site?

*Loads* of other car enthusiast sites run one.

There is no reason why either club would need to be involved.

Guys,
I have to say that my experience was much better. I purchased some upgrade spares from another club member through the spares secretary.

The parts in question had only recently been removed from the car and I would think that there was no time to update the spares database, which is only published quarterly in the club magazine.

It seems probable that there is always a high demand for good parts.

Needless to say I have no vested interest in this discussion, being only a member of the GTD40 club, not on the committee.

Just my 2cents worth, as our American friends would say!!!

Charles

G

Gentlemen,
What is all the fuss about. We already have the best possible sales register at our fingertips.
This great website !!!!!

GTA.

G

Gentlemen,
What is all the fuss about. We already have the best possible sales register at our fingertips.
This great website !!!!!

GTA.

Charles,
I think you have just demonstrated my concern about the availability of spares.
If the items you bought were to be sold via the club spares database/magazine and you bought via the spares secretary before other members were made aware of them, then surely the system is not working to the benefit of all the members. If the spares were on the Club web site then all members have an equal chance to purchase?

smile.gif

As someone who has purchsed several items from the GTD40 Car Club Spares Database I should like to thoroughly endorse the current system.
Every item I have purchased to date has been of good quality and has saved me hundreds of pounds whilst still enabling me to build what I believe to be a good quality car.
As to the suggestion that items are 'earmarked' for certain individuals, I should like to remind you that, as Frank always reminds us , he receives far more calls from people requiring parts than he does from people selling. Thus anything new coming in is quickly snapped up. Any suggestions otherwise are totally unfounded.

There has also been some very nasty comments made by certain individuals as to the quality of Wealden Engineering products. Firstly, speaking as an Engineer of 22 years experience, I cannot say that I have seen anything 'dodgy' or unprofessionally made coming out of Wealden Engineering. I produce Cad drawings for Frank but all the designs are his own with constructive input from a varity of experianced engineers and assocaited trades. Anyone who has any doubts about this has only to see 804 AJB and JTR 68D to appreciate the amount of development work that has been done to make these cars consistant winners on the track.

The object of starting this thread was to promote discussion relating to encouraging the GTD Club to move its spares database to its web site, making it more readily accessible to everyone, members and non-members alike.

Rather than leaving its publication to a page in the quarterly magazine, it would allow buyers and sellers alike to have access to an instantly updated source of parts.

It was in no way my intention to raise any issues with regard to the quality of the products or services of Wealden Engineering.

Please continue to express your views and suggestions regarding possible ways to improve access to spares for our cars, they can only help to improve the current service.

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Jasper ]

I think it is important that the views expressed with regard to parts accessability should not be misconstrued as a criticism of individual people/club members. I believe there is a need for club members to access parts for sale or wanted via the club website directly instead of waiting for the magazine when the parts may have been already sold.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Jasper ,
could you design,manufacture and then bring me some parts for my GT40 please, oh by the way I am in the USA and I would like you to hand deliver them to me.
This may sound a little demanding but this is exactly what Wealden Engineering did for me two weeks ago.
The parts that I received are first class and the service came with a smile and a lot of helpful information that has been learned with help from other GTD owners making and testing their own parts.
There is obviously more than one way to skin a cat and no one is forcing anyone to buy products from any one particular source.
I get as much satisfaction from discussing,building and generally meeting like minded GT40 people as I do from racing my other cars.
Witch hunting is not becoming for a group of mature individuals with a common interest in such a fabulous forum.
Just my humble opinion Ffrom a Brit living in the USA,
Oh!!!by the way I have had no trouble getting in touch with people from the parts list and inquiring about parts....dont forget that my news letter gets to me after the homeland crowd get theirs
FRAN

Everyone seems to be in favour of the basic idea of putting a spares listing on-line, the question is in what form?

1/ It must be web-based ‘coz it needs to be much more dynamic than a quarterly magazine (though the listing can still appear in the magazine for those unfortunates without Web access).

2/ Sellers/wanters (wishers??) should be able to upload/edit/delete their own entries. This hopefully will not lead to a dilution of content (E.g. dog for sale) but this avoids unnecessarily overloading a spares secretary and allows contributors to expedite the process. This also avoids accusations of cherry picking by spares secretaries or other ‘officials’.

3/ Should it be for the use of 'club' members only?? Several reasons: to allow some control and accountability; to remain consistent with the magazine distribution and finally because there have to be some added value to paying subscriptions
smile.gif
. On the negative side it reduces the target audience.

4/ The database needs a spares secretary/administrator/moderator to: occasionally check contents are up to date by phoning members; load and delete records for non-web enabled sellers; ensure content is GT40 relevant.

5/ The presentation should be ergonomic so its easy to see what’s available at a glance.

I thought about the option to use the forum thread but it seems to fall short on points 3 and 5. However the forum is always still there to be used as well.

Reactions....

Dave Champ

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I agree with the club only idea even though it would appear at first to be limiting access but in the long run more people will join the club to gain access to the spares directory and then increase revenue for the club and we would all benefit from increased membership and more GT40 fanatics building more cars on a smaller budget,
Maybe one or two of the more vocal participants in this thread will volunteer to take over the web based register,Jasper,Roy....any takers

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Fran Hall ]

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Fran Hall ]

G

!!!MODERATOR POSTING!!!

AS MODERATOR OF THIS FORUM SECTION I AM NOW DRAWING THIS THREAD TO A CLOSE.

ALL THE COMMENTS WILL BE FULLY DISCUSSED AT THE GTD COMMITTEE MEETING ON THE 24th AND A POSTING WILL BE MADE AFTER THAT DATE TO INFORM YOU ALL OF THE OUTCOME.

I SINCERELY THANK ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE POSTED HELPFUL AND CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS ON THIS ISSUE.

TO THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE CHOSEN THIS FORUM TO LAUNCH YOUR PERSONAL ATTACKS, SHAME ON YOU. YOU ARE THE REASON THIS TOPIC IS CLOSED.

NO MORE POSTINGS PLEASE.

ANDREW FORDYCE

Howard Jones

Supporter
What do you think about a two week time limit for each posting and then the particular part for sale is removed from the sight. This would allow for a up to date list without someone being forced to check on each parts current status. If your part is not sold in two weeks then you just repost with a new date. Makes it easy for the admin.person. I check up on a used horse saddles etc. sight that works like this and it is easy to use and works pretty good.

Back