Bizarre idea?

Pretty cool, Hersh!! What do those things weigh?

I've been looking at pop-up campers lately and made the mistake of taking the wife and kids to a huge RV dealer where they immediately lost interest in the the pop-up campers and started getting real serious about the 48-foot diesel-powered conversion-bus RVs. Hey, they start from only $125,000. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Then the salesman told me that they can tow up to a 20,000-lb enclosed race trailer and I started thinking about the long haul to places like VIR, Road America, and even Watkins Glen. Hmmm...

Guys,
This little Gem only weighs 392lbs. Add options and the weight goes up sleightly. The base cost is $2,990. Two people can sleep in true comfort. There is also another trailer that looks the same but it's much smaller and it's just for Cargo. It starts at $1,900. You can even get an polished stainless option like the photo has. These trailers are so light that trailer brakes are not neccesary. What I like is even with the biggest is that it is still narrower than the GT. So you can still see rearward throught the mirrors. After just getting home from a 3,500 mile journey in the GT, I certainly see a need for this kind of trailer for long hauls to shows and events. I was by myself on this trip and my passenger seat was full up with all kinds of stuff like helmet, travel bag, car cover, cooler, and a whole bunch of other junk. It would have been nice to have had a couple of folding chairs but there was no room. So now I'll have room.
Hey Steve, no shower but I only stay in campgrounds that have A-1 facilities. I have a national guide that rates all the campground in the U.S. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 19922-Hooked to a cycle.jpg
    19922-Hooked to a cycle.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 932
Hi Maxiboy and Dave Champ,

Your trailer idea is by no means bizarre.

A Cape Town based company that builds Cobra replicas builds a Cobra trailer as per attached pic.

I'll mention the idea of a trailer based on the tail section of a GT40 MK11 to the Hi Tech Automotive/Superformance guys. It could be an interesting new line for them and as they will be building the MK11 its tail section would make more sense than a Mk1 as it's bigger.

From 2001 until recently a range of camper trailers was developed in my factory by my associate who leased a portion of the factory from me. The stainless steel panels are being pressed by the same company that presses the CAV monocoque panels.

Here in Cape Town it's all a bit interwoven. It all happens in the Prime Park industrial complex in a suburb of Cape Town, Diep River, about 12 miles due south from the city centre.

The original CAV factory started off there until they bought an existing factory in a street next to Prime Park. EMD the company that presses out their monocoque panels was situated a few miles away but has now had two new, adjoining factories built in Prime Park, one for themselves and one for the trailers.

The new 26000 square foot GT40 factory is also in Prime Park!

The four camper trailers will be marketed in the US under the name of BOXER. Logo will be a red stylised boxing glove and striping will be red and blue with some stars to create an American image. The boxing image implies strength, power and toughness and we figure out if your are hit hard by a fist in a boxing glove you'll see stars in any case! And then a trailer is a box. The name BOXER therefore fits like a glove!

All four models have fold-up tents mounted on roof racks on top of the trailer bodies. The first model is the small 150 Kit Camper, followed by the Cross Lander which was designed for the smaller 4x4s and has hubs with PCDs to fit the Land Rover Freelander wheel. The A-frame and tow hitch have been designed to fit under the spare wheel of the Freelander. The All-Terrain (AT) Camper was designed for the larger 4x4s, ie Pajero and the AT-Land Rover Camper is fitted with hubs and PCDs to fit the Land Rover wheel.

Like Hersh says, better than sleeping in a motel. The trailers could become popular with racing drivers and their crews who could camp out at the circuits next to their cars. Imagine a warm sunny evening, a barbeque and some cold beers right there in the race paddock. Definitely better than motels!

In relative terms the trailer industry in South Africa is big and a high percentage of South African cars, pick-up and 4x4s is fitted with tow bars. The Dolphin and Eagle trailers, pics of which were posted by dweitzel are popular and sell well.

Next week I'll post some pics of the BOXER trailers..

We're currently talking to someone in the US about becoming our agent.

Stars and Stripes for ever,
Andre 40

Attachments

• 19956-Cobra02.jpg
    19956-Cobra02.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 803
DAVE, CHECKOUT MIRRORS AGAIN.
I GAVE YOU THE PHONE # AND ADDRESS FOR THE RX7 MIRRORS.
JOE

They had a special viewing of the movie "Grand Prix"a while back on tv. When making the movie they used an original GT40 as a tow car to pull a trailer with the body of a formula car that the actors had to sit in at 130 mph to photograph for the shots of thc cars spinning around. The camera was on the 40 and the passenger in the 40 pulled a rope that made the formula body turn like it was spinning.
James Garner was interviewed.The day theactors saw their number on the formula car they new who had to get in that thing going 130 mph. None of them wanted to do it, but the picture was made with those spinns in it.
Just a little GT 40 history you may have seen.
Joe

Andre,

The Cobra trailer is near perfect - it could be bigger. The MkII would hold more stuff but for me it would have to match the rear of my tow car, so a Mk1.

I suppose we could be conventional and have a road car (estate/station wagon) and tow the 40. Plenty of room and comfort plus no problem getting home if you break your 40 on the track. Still we didn't get into this passion by being sensible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am, and have been for the past few months, seriously lookling for a M/C trailer that looks like a miniature horse trailer. I saw one a few years ago and the guy said it was made in Colorado but have been unable to locate anywhere. I plan to have a pair of horse's rear ends painted on the back and attach some tails. Can anyone give me any help in locating such a trailer. OK, I KNOW I'm weird.

Ben

Hi Max,
Yep, I talked to the owner today and it is shaping up nicely. As things appear at this time I will be the Southwest dealer for these trailers. Mine has been ordered and it will be finished late September. Can't wait to see it. It's going to be painted the same color as the GT40 with the Black strpes.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just seen this combination at the Knebworth Classic Car Show.

Its an Austin A35 with rear half trailer, but the miniature copy is great, especially with the 'J' car 40 plate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 21653-trailer.jpg
    21653-trailer.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 559
What would be the best way to do this though, just squaring off a rear clip? May be you could make it something like this..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 21656-gt1.jpg
    21656-gt1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 719

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Brett, that look svery much like a sketch I made back when I started this thread. Not so sure now, when seeing what it could really look like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dave, Love the mini version, they really go together well.

What about this one I saw at Stoneleigh earlier this year.

Max

Attachments

• 21709-Smart Caravan.jpg
    21709-Smart Caravan.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 788
Max,
Basically cut a pic up and pasted them together with a bit of air-brushing. However, you could round the front off, more like the trailers shown.. a rear clip would provide enough space for a lot of kit, even at say 75% of the original size.

Brett

There are plenty of plans on the interweb to build your own teardrop trailers for a few hundres dollars. If you must. Somehow, a 40 towing a trailer is just too bizzare for me.

Back