KVA..... Advice please.

simon,
go to the GT40 Enthusiasts Club web site. There is all the info that you should need conceening the "C" chassis.Just look around on their web site. web page
Their club members have the most experience with this model.
Bill

Hi all,

I will shortly be getting an unstarted GT40 MK1, (KVA C type chassis) kit.
I'd appreciate advice as to what mods I should do to the chassis before I acually start building it. (ie steering rack, bump steer mods etc)
Thanks, any advice, pics, diagrams etc gratefully received.
Simon
smile.gif

Simon,

Good luck !
The reply above is correct, I would add buy the right parts first time- a lot of GTD & Tornado parts can be used, for example Tornado bellhousing or GTD adaptor plate. Use an AP Racing clutch if you go the adaptor plate route. Don't scrimp on brakes. Granada/Scorpio brakes work on the road but will not withstand track use. I use 600lb back springs & 450lb front with custom-made AVO dampers. The standard type c chassis will take a 289 or 302 without modification. Buy your front & rear windscreens when you are fitting the body as the reveals will need to be modified. The wheel arches on the nearside will need modifying too as the body is not symmetrical & will foul the wheels. Similarly, the left hand filler cap must be raised. Watch out for assymmetric rear suspension mounts- some chasses were incorrectly measured & the top trailing arm bracket was welded in the wrong place. It should be moved to match both sides. Most instructions reside in 'Fortification' magazine, so it's worth joining the GT40 Enthusiasts Club, it was the best £25 I ever spent. I believe the Type C has the best chassis, but it is the most difficult replica to build.
Good Luck,

Tony Jasper
(Type C with Ford289/R21T gearbox)

Thanks Bill, Thanks Tony.

I'd like to think I'm going in to this with my eyes wide open and not under any misaprehension that it's going to be done in a few months. I'm looking at a project that I'd like to complete (money allowing) within three years, but the last thing I want to do is get halfway through the build and to have someone say "you should have.....before you started" so I'm just making sure.
I've read all the info I can from Ken Saunders site, but if any other KVA owners have any advice or would be willing to let me have a look at their car, I'd be most grateful.
Thanks
Simon

G

Simon,
I have patterns of the brake pedals, gas tanks and every thing else that I have made. I would be more than happy to supply you with parts that you may need. I have purchased some parts from Andy @ Tornado and the quality is very good, but some parts need to be modified to fit the KVA chassis. I purchased my kit from Paul Campoli in Toronto, Canada he has been helpful as well,He purchased gas tanks and they were too wide to fit under the sill. I am about half way done with me gt-40 and just started to really move with it. I own a tool & die shop and custom chrome plating facility here in Erie, Pennsylvania USA so the quality of the parts that I can supply you would be top shelf. Please feel free to E-mail me directly rether than tieing up the form.
E-mail [email protected]

Best Reguards
Chris

Hi Simon

Pleased to hear you purchased the KVA C,Type.
Sorry I missed you at the NEC on Sunday.
If you want to come and look at my car then you are welcome just phone or e-mail me and we can set it up

Regards

Chris.

Hi Simon, The KVA C type is the better KVA to have. There are many parts that will fit from other suppliers. Some need modifying, some bits you will have to have made especially. On the whole you can buy most of what you need though.

I managed to get into the great western kit car show on the 16 & 17. I will be displaying the rather haggered looking Bond GT40. Ive got a press shoot to do on the Thursday before and two interviews. They are hiring a Bond lookalike for the Day so it should be interesting! If I get pics, I will post them up if I can remember how to do it!

To all that may be interested, the Kit car show is at Westpoint Exhibition Centre, Exeter, Devon. 16 & 17 of November. £7 adults
£2 kids. There are 55 manufacturers listed to exhibit and parts suppliers. There are other features also. There are links from totalkitcar.com

All the very best

Mark Sibley

Back