Importing a Kit into US by Sea

Hey everyone, I am in the final stages
grin.gif
of locking down the purchase of a DRB kit from GT40 Australia and would like some help navigating through the US Customs/DOT process / regulations.

I plan to ship in a 20ft container by sea from Brisbane AUS to Seattle, WA. Kit will comprise Chassis/Body plus a container load of parts for assembly.

To help minimize (I know there are no guarantees with Customs/DOT but...) the confusion at point entry and to streamline the process, can anyone provide a list of the forms that were required to grease the skids?

All help is GREATLY appreciated.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I brought my car in to Seattle in July.

Refer to this threadRead this thread Also, do a search on CUSTOMS. There are some other helpful threads.

It's really not an issue once you educate the customs carrier. I had my moments though. I can give you a contact if you like.

Thanks Neal.

Any contact information would be appreciated.

I am planning for a customs bond of $4.50/$1,000 of value, a Customs handling fee of 0.21%, duty of 2.5% and a harbor maintenance fee of 0.125%.

Research suggests bringing the kit in as a chassis (Haronized Tariff Code of 8707100020) and completing HS7 form selecting box 9.
Any other details of your experience (dos and donts) would be helpful.

Thanks

Dazzle,
as soon as my kit is ready to ship, it will be coming to Kansas from New Zealand.

I am using John Clarke (Clarke International Services), as he was recommended by a few folks on this site.
WE have had a few phone conversations about my kit and he sent me an estimate via fax, on the same day.

his contact info is
310-671-7990 phone in California
310-671-4650 fax
[email protected] is his e-mail

Tomorrow I will be talking to my shipper about how my car will be sent. My order will be a bit different from most as my "kit" is patially assembed, and includes a motor. It may be shipped as a race car,with engine out ( complete with decals and taped light covers ) and again it might be shippped as a chassis and parts with the engine as a "reclaimed american product" 351 windsor. He and I will be working it out. I will let you guys know as soon as we get it worked out ( this week at the latest ). My car will be comming into either Savannah or Jacksonville. For those of you on the west coast, the shipper mentioned earlier is the best. He would be doing mine but he doesn't do the east coast or rather he felt that I should work with someone closer to home incase problems arose. In any event he was more than a little helpful in suggesting people on my end of the country. Also, there are more than enough post listing shippers to and from just about any coast. Just "search".
Bill

Back