Replica Body V Original Body V New GT Body?

Hi all

As you probably know there is a significant difference between the replica GT40 Mk1 bodywork and the original GT40 Mk1.
The original bodywork was rounder between the head lights, the leading edges of the doors as they meet the front clip are narrower, the rear arches are narrower, the tail spoiler is curved along its top edge and the rear deck is about an inch higher. There are also errors in symmetry from one side to another on the original.
So which style of bodywork do you prefer?
A:- the original Mk 1
B:- the replica
C:- Fords new GT.

Regards
Chris

Chris,

Hello again from the USA. In answer to your query, the originals had several different shapes for the MKI. My favorite would depend on which original. However, with a replica, I can get the body of choice. I love ALL (and I do mean ALL) of the originals, the new, and the replicas that are close to the original look.

I remember a post concerning which body style is preferred. I love the MKI best but would love the MKII, MKIII and the (fabulous) MKIV.

ALL GT40's are awesome to me...now if only I can get mine done by next summer!! The body is close to being fitted to the Pantera frame.
There is a fabricator working on the windshield frame-base right now (had to make some adjustment there).

BTW, my Pantera-based GT40 project is going to be in KIT CAR MAGAZINE in about a half year, so everyone watch for it!!

Have fun!

John

Hey John,

I noticed you're in Oregon. I'm up here in Dayton visiting family till tomorrow. Is it possible to take a look at your project while I'm here? That's if it wouldn't be an inconvenienvce.

Thanks,

Doug

G

Hi Chris

I have been lucky enough to have been able to put my replica GTD alongside an original and take photgraphs from different angles and see these differences you mention. They do exist from what I saw. However I would confirm that the GTD is also assymetrical like the original! But in the same way? As to preferences I think you would have to know the original so well to be able to be picky over which looks better. Most people wouldn't know the differences. On this Forum a lot of people will know but Joe Public generally doesn't. The new Ford is a different kettle of fish and so far no one has reported having their car accused of being the new 40. Anyone had that experience yet? I haven't seen more than pictures of the new 40 but so far would prefer what I have in the garage plus original Mk1 to it.

Leading question, but could moulds taken from original bodywork be retro fitted to say a GTD chassis? I would suspect the whole bodyshell would need changing but would other dimensions ie wheel positions and chassis members cross over?

Malcolm

IMHO I've seen the new one and to me it looks too long from the base of the windshield to the tip of the nose. It's simply a new car, made by different people, that will have to compete with many, many, super cars. This time around the Enzo will blow it into the weeds. BTW in "person" the Enzo looks very, very impressive much more so that in pics.

Hey John,

Sorry I missed you. Maybe next time.

You should post photo's of the car you are building. I'd love to see it.

Doug

Doug,

Sorry too that we missed each other. Whenever my parts come back, and get onto the frame, I'd be glad to post a photo. We will be making molds off the parts 1st.

Have fun!

John

Back