Opening side windows?

Hi Folks,

Newbe question from me.

Has anyone developed (or perfected) an opening side window yet? I'm toying with an idea that would allow the whole window to hinge a few inches on the leading edge. The problem as far as I see it is keeping the original looks, maybe by keeping shortened fake fixing screws in place around the edge? Security is not an issue as if I get a GT40 I won't be parking it in Sainsburys too often!

My height and claustraphobia are an issue though, and non-opening opening windows would make GT40 ownership a problem for me...besides, how do you guys gesticulate to other road users! LOL!

John S.

GT40 Australia has a MKIII window setup available, which has a stationary quarter window, and a rectangular side window. The side window is hinged and opens a few inches.
There are photos of this window setup somewhere here on the Forum, posted by Peter Delaney. Try the search feature, and you should be able to find them.

The windows in my Lola are electric. I split the window made track and used a hot rod system to get them to raise and lower. It works very well.
jim_lola.jpg

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There are a few ways to improve (if that's the word) the side window situation with GT40s...
At least one original car was modified by Graber in Switzerland with rollup electric windows. My understanding is that all that was subsequently removed from that car, but it shows it can be done.
Several cars had sliding plexi panels on plexi tracks- I think many of the MkII cars had this. Also 1019, I think. I have asked for this on my car.
The entire panel could be hinged at the top and swing outwards a few inches, for better ventilation. That doesn't help with paying tolls, but you're on the wrong side of the car anyway, so what the hell..
I like Jim's idea of having the lower half slide down on tracks, if I have got it right, that give you some of the best of both worlds, and because the moving part of the panel is smaller, you don't have as much of a problem of where the glass goes down into the short GT40 door. Stainless window tracking with fuzz already in it is available in the marine market, also there are electric window kits in the aftermarket or rod industry that are available. It's not an easy project but not as daunting as many we cheerfully take on...

Jim
That's exactly right. I got the idea from the Lambo Countash. It works really well. Good ventilation and your passenger can pay the tolls. Home brew hot rod stuff but it works.
Best

Nice looking car MK-IV

BTW, I'm trying to convert the 1/12th Tamiya kit to the Sid Taylor/Denny Hulme car at the moment. Had huge problems trying to find mechanical reference pics for the model but at least after 2 years I've now found the original car...email me off the board if you want some details.

The split window is a good idea but I'd assumed as I've never seen it done on a GT40 that there was not enough space in the door? I'd better have a measure up.

John S.

I have contemplated this idea for quite a while and plan to do something like, what has been mentioned here. There are several manufactures of window kits in the restoration industry. They may need to be modified a little to work. I plan to contact several companys and see if they have anything off the shelf that might work. Baring that, I will have to modify an existing unit. I like the idea of being able to "open" the window.
Bill

Back