Q Plates?

One for the Brits really.

Is it possible to re-register a car that has already got Q plates? I was told years ago that once on they cannot be changed, but surely there is a way around this problem?

Cheers,

John S.

Cinqster,

I believe the problem is that you can change plates on a car but only for ones indicating an older origin, not younger - obviously to stop people trying to con buyers. Therefore since Q plate means of uncertain origin/age there is no way the DVLA will allow you to change the plate.
Whether there are other ways to do it I can't say (e.g. if it were written off and then re-registered later??)

Dave

Dave,

I was thinking about the idea of buying a Q-plated GT40 and an old pooper of a Granada (adding a Ford 302) and then re-registering the GT40 using the donor parts from the pooped car...IN THEORY of course!

John S.

John,

Have you looked at the DVLA site? WWW.DVLA.GOV.UK

There is a section on registering rebuilt or radically altered vehicles. The criteria are fairly clear. I think you would need to register the Granada as rebuilt not try to re-register the 40, however I don't seehow to get the necessary points to achieve this , but all the same good luck!

Dave

Ther IS a way to do this, but it's not cheap. First you buy a new chassis from the manufacturers (see, told you it wasn't cheap) then you transfer ALL your bits onto the new chassis, then you replace the engine with another (even if only temporary) then you SVA it. You've efectively built a new car, you have a chassis (with q plate and sva approval) to sell and you're several grand down!!!
The more unscrupulous might buy a new chassis (complete with chassis number) and just swap the plates over before SVAing the car But of course that would be illegal.
I suppose it all depends how paranoid you are about a "Q" plate.

Fred,

Fred, on the assumption that you are not aware, in the UK Q plate = kit car.

Although it really means car of uncertain origin/age, and is given often to imports, its really snob value to have a real plate and it does affect resale value too. Also if you have a Q plate you can't change it for a classic plate e.g. a 1960s one.

Dave

Back