New/Old Engines

I am always curious to know about the engines that are put into cars of classic designs like Cobras or GT40s.
E.g. Does Ford still supply these classic (or outdated designs) with Webers or Holleys? If so, how do they pass emmissions test to be road worthy? Or does the Gov't exempt these type of cars.
Holman Moody's MK II of a few years old may get away with it since it's for racing only but what about the road versions - Bryan Wingfield's and the Safir MK Vs. Or even the GTDs, ERAs, etc.

Emission control laws vary. I have no idea what they're like in Canada. In the U.S. there are places that still do not have emission controls. In those places, you can drop in just about any engine you want. Most places, however, seem to base the smog requirements on the year of the engine (block). Thus, you get yourself an old pre-smog 289 block - they're not too hard to find still - and rebuild it. It's not something you buy off the shelf but there are numerous engine builders out there who can build the engine to your specifications.

Ford engine blocks have a casting code and a date code cast into the block - that's what they use to determine the year of the engine.

As far as carbs and intake and such, you just have to decide what you want and buy them or specify them to your engine builder. Places like Inglese can supply you a complete Weber setup.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
An interesting and worthwhile thread...there are several cheap and informative books on Ford engine parts. I used Ford Engine Parts Interchange by Cartech, got it at Borders. I ended up with a 1968 hipro 302 block with heavy duty main caps, I found in my area by calling speed shops and nosing around. I paid $200 for it. I also found lots of sources on the Web and in Hemmings for old 289 hipro blocks. They were even cheaper. Even more desirable is a Boss 302 block, but those are very expensive. I didn't even hit Hershey or Carlisle but if you did you would find dozens if not more candidate engine blocks. A 302 Mexico block is excellent too.
The advantage, of course, is that you have an 'old' engine which in most areas is not required to meet emissions. The casting code will verify that. Plus, the old blocks are seasoned and were built sturdier than the 302s they make now. The new ones are reported to have thinner webs and rails and won't hold up as well.
I just ordered the entire rotating assembly from Scat- steel crank, forged rods/pistons, and the ring and bearing kits. When that's done we'll get the heads (AFR) and look at cams etc. I expect to have about 5-6K in the engine when it's done, and that it will be good for 375-400 reliable horses and usable on the street.
I have found Pierce Manifolds to be less expensive and more accommodating than Inglese. Talk to Mike or Doug- great guys.
The original oil pan by Aviaid is evidently still available but very pricey. I am looking into less expensive ones. I wish someone made a cast-aluminum pan for a small block Ford which would fit a GT40 tub.
This may be more than you wanted to know but I hope it helps someone.
grin.gif

Back