Does anyone still have one of the CAV built GTD cars?

Seems like the folks that bought them (like Wayne Presley) got rid of them fairly quickly.

Opinions of these cars? The CAV dealer was trying to slam them pretty hard (he wanted me to buy a new monocoque) but you take that stuff with a grain of salt.

I've purchased the CAV/monocoque car. Wayne still has his spaceframe car and he always gets praises about it. The CAV spaceframe to the best of my knowledge is the GTD under the CAV name. GTD has a great reputation so I dont think you can go wrong by buying the spaceframe CAV. Many have said that the spaceframe is more easily repairable if ever in an accident. The CAV spaceframe car is not a lesser car just different, some like spaceframes better then monocoques and visa versa. There are some threads that you may want to search for regarding the pro's, cons and differences of the two.

As the co-founder of CAV I would like to comment on the space frame version.

After we had signed the under-licence agreement with GTD they shipped out a body/chassis kit which were copied. My friend Robbie Senekal, one of the best all round engineers and toolmakers I’ve ever known, made the chassis jig, which with no disrespect to GTD was infinitely superior to theirs. Keith Bright of Brightglass made a new set of production moulds, also a work of art.

The space frame weighed 139 kg (306 lbs) and let me assure you all it was immensely strong. As Ray Christopher pointed out at the time during the many years that the space frame version was built not a single driver was ever killed or even seriously injured in accidents the worse being some bruises.

When the first yellow car was due to be tested at our local Killarney circuit two of the partners of the original US agent, US GT40 Inc, came out for the test session. Various family members, friends and suppliers were invited for a joy ride. Let me assure you there were several very shook up people because a ride as passenger in a full blooded racing sports car can be one helluva scary experience. The rep of the resin company clambered out of the car white as winter snow and ran away into the distance from sheer shock! For weeks afterwards whenever he called the guys would pull his leg and say things like, ‘We believe you’re becoming a professional racing driver’. The poor guy would pull an anguished face and go into shock all over again!

A local professional racing driver, Deon Joubert, who has raced in the US, was hired to drive the car for the day and from the first lap he was happy with the set up. I waited to end of the session after possibly about 60 laps for my turn. When I got in Deon said that he was now really familiar with the car and if I didn’t mind he was now going to push it to the limit. I was astounded at the perfect set-up of the car and how Deon could hang the tail out and flick it back at will.

On one lap when we came out of the fast sweeping right handed Malmesbury bend which leads into the main straight I looked at the speedo which was both in km/h and mph. I focused on what I thought was 160 km/m (100 mph) and thought that something wasn’t right. Next lap I looked again I realised it was 160 mph! If the resin rep was in my seat he would still be running!

The space frame was clad with aluminium panels to make it look like a monocoque.
DanielD is right when he says a space frame is not a lesser car just different. Some cars are supercharged and others turbo charged. End effect is much the same.
An advantage of the space frame is that it’s easier to repair after an accident.

Final comment. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a GTD/CAV space frame

ANDRE
You are right, I still have a space frameCAV/GTD. Both models are great but one must go, unfortunetly, the space frame is up for sale...

G

I believe the CAV which made $110000 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale in January was a spaceframe CAVGTD. ???

Pete, if you want the next time you are out in the desert, I'll take you for a spin.

Thanks, I stumbled across one of these "cars in a barn" things so to speak and it's a tube frame CAV but having trouble getting any action on it.

I thought I saw that you sold your tube-frame CAV?

Pete
There may be a CAV spaceframe rolling chassis avaiable as the customer is buying a monocoque and keeping his drivetrain.
If you are interested call me on 858 342 3246
for details or email [email protected]
Bob

Back