J what? mk-iv parts

Have you tried Charlie Agipou, he had a lot of spare parts from FORDS 67 can-am adventure. He sold one of the cars a few years back, and provided parts to fix the Gurney-Foyt car that was wrecked. Their other car was wrecked at riverside in 69 and stolen from behind their shop in L.A.

Relentless,

Welcome to the Forum!
Out of curiousity, I checked your profile, and see that listed in your type of GT40 owned, you have all of them? If that's the case,color me jealous! Please tell us more!

Bill

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hey Sean, where did you get the half-acre desk and the twenty-foot Maltese Falcon bust....just kidding, I wish I had all of them too.
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jim rosenthal:
"...Hey Sean, where did you get the half-acre desk and the twenty-foot Maltese Falcon bust..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It only seems like a half-acre on Monday mornings when it's full of all of the crap (I'm sorry I meant "opportunities to provide excellent customer service") I have to take care of for the week!
rolleyes.gif

Your pal,
Meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Bayard:
"...I checked your profile, and see that listed in your type of GT40 owned, you have all of them..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey! I've got all of them, too! I've got a Gulf colors GT40 MkI, a red GT40 Mk2, a metalflake green GT40 MkIII, and not one, but TWO MkIVs!

...unfortunately, my Maltese Falcon bust towers over all of them on my desk.

Are ya jealous?
grin.gif

Your pal,
Meat.
flagsmall.jpg

It looks like I made a mistake, I thought they wanted what type of car I was interested in, not which one I own. I 1977 I bought a car that was represented as a MK-II I wish that was the case.The tub was made from two different tubs, the uprights were different, some were fabricated, some were castings. The nose , tail and doors were aluminum. The transaxle had been broken in two,TIG welded back together improperly. The 427 motor was actually a 352 short block with 406 HI-PO heads. The tub had been hit in the front head on, the rear looked like it had been spun into a wall or something real solid.It was the worst handling thing I ever drove.Best for last there was no VIN tag where there should have been one.The title I was given was for a 1966 mustang.I sold the car to a guy who worked in alaska on the pipeline in the summer of 1977 to pay lawyer bills for having to much fun in orange county.My goal is to build a tub for a MK-II and use whatever body panels are available that are taken from a real GT-40. So question is who sells body panels, and does anyone have blueprints for a tub, and suspension pieces.

Holman and Moody have them...all it takes
is $ 500k!

There are a few guys with hand drawn MK I chassis drawings, but again...good luck getting them to part with a copy.

I don't know how determined you are to build your own tub. There are now people
selling fairly realistic ones for "reasonable" prices.

As far as uprights, same people will sell them, but they are not MK II duplicates.

ERA offers MK II kits...only 2-3 year wait.
Others offer rear clip only at this point.
John Hester says he will offer an MK II...
but not right away. My guess is (2) years.

MikeD

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: MikeDD ]

Relentless,
Thanks for the thought. The G7 car they had was sold to Yacobian reskinned as a mk4 and sold to Jim Holden, ERA. I believe all the spare stuff went with that car. I was told the G7 bits were taken off and sent back to the Agipous. I am not sure which Gurney Foyt car you are talking about. If you are talking about the MK 4 , that was not the one that was wrecked. Mario wrecked J7 and Ken was killed in J2 which has not been rebuilt. Gurney Foyt car is J5 or J6 depending on who you talk to, but it is the one in the museum. None of these cars have number badges that I know of,maybe Stauffers.
Bill
confused.gif

J1 Cut up ? a lot of parts and chassie plate exists...
J2 scrapped -73
J3 repaired,stripped and rebuilt
J4 rebuilt,restored
J5 (-Gurney Foyt)freshened up (the museum car.)
J6 repaired.crashed and repaired 1981. has chassis plate according to present owner.
J7 crashed and repaired
J8 restored
J9 never raced
J10/G7 was crashed -70 (part remains restored, (crappy remains stolen ) and sold to Yacobian )
J11 rebuilt late 90s..(assembled in the 80s)
J12 completed 1988

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The best source for real GT40 body panels is Safir GT40 Spares Ltd In Cinncinnatti (which I have undoubtedly misspelled; I have decided to try to spell it differently each time I write it, it's more fun that way). They built me a body for my GT40 project that was made in John Wyer's molds. It was not cheap, but their quality is first-class and they are great guys to deal with. They have a lot of other parts as well, everything except the tub.
Where to get an authentic GT40 steel tub is sort of the question of the hour. Lee Holman has Tennant Panels tubs, but they are very expensive. Safir are able to supply REPLACEMENT ONLY MkV tubs for cars that are wrecked, etc. No more Mark V cars will be built. This does not preclude your building a Mark II car- if you could find a tub. Many people on the Forum are making their own tubs, which is a formidable project. Jim Dunham is doing this, and from the pictures I have seen is doing a very good job indeed. I recall, I think, that Chris Melia in UK was trying to get a source together for monocoques- whether he has been successful I don't know. ERA build a nice monocoque- whether they would sell you just the tub I don't know.
AND, as if all this weren't bad enough, there are folks who want to replicate a Mark IV car. The tub structure of these was a composite aluminum honeycomb structure heat-bonded together and reinforced with riveted gussets, as I understand it. To duplicate that technology would be almost impossibly expensive and difficult.
HOWEVER, if you were really determined to have a Mark IV tub, there is another way you could do it; (this would get you something similar looking) which would be to build the structure out of preformed FRP structurals covered with FRP sheet (these elements are easy to find and buy), and then spray the entire structure silver. You would end up with something visually similar, strong enough by far, and probably not too much heavier than the aluminum original item. You would have to work out hard points to attach the suspension members and drivetrain mounts. Obviously, Chaparral did this and won races so it is possible.
So there you are. If you find a source for reproduction GT40 Mk I or Mk II tubs, do us all a favor and let us know. You'll be a popular guy....
grin.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Sounds to me like RELENTLESS bought the Mk II that Ford crash tested!!!
shocked.gif
I cringe every time I look in the "Shelby GT 40" book and see the pictures of that car hitting wall in the FoMoCo crash test area.

It was for the protection of the factory drivers but damn, I would look good in that cat today....preferably not going down the track towards the wall!

Rick

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Mark IV ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> To duplicate that technology would be almost impossibly expensive and difficult. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

I took a tour of the Shelby American plant in Las Vegas back in February during the SAAC event, and the Series 1 chassis uses aluminum honeycomb construction. So it's out there. In fact, here is a place that makes it. Here's another one

GUYS
J1 Lee Holman states that this car as well as J2 were destroyed by Holman and Moody at Fords behest and he personally was involved in their destruction and scraping and that NO parts of those cars exist. The J car parts he sold were spares not part of J1 or J2.
J3 was converted by Ford to the MK-IV prototype and was tested and run at LeMans test days. It is the car that was fitted with the nagra data equiptment that was used along with an IBM mainframe to make the LeMans dyno map which I now own. J3 is owned by a friend of mine, it is very original, I see it often.
J4 won Sebring. It is very original. I've seen it. It has rounded sills and the tail lifts from the rear.
J5 is the car in the museam. It is missing it's original engine, radiator, it's steering wheel and other parts. It has no Chassis plate. It is the Foyt/Gurney car.
J6 has it's original chassis plate,( Of which I've posted a photo on this Forum) engine,tub, and gearbox as well as many other parts and the Heat Test strips that were put on at LeMans.
It is very original. It has the dent in the tub where Bruce McLaren threw down his helmut when he ran off after the tail that had blown off on the Mulsanne. I have all the records from LeMans as well as a complete set of Dave Friedman's photos, a set of Joe Farkus' photos, the Shelby engineering reports both pre and post race and Many, Many of the factory spares and body molds which are not for sale. The "crash of 81" was a minor off that did little damage and was quickly repaired. ( I have photo's of that as well)
J7 has been restored and is alive and well
J8 is very original and is fine.
J9 is being rebuilt as a Can Am car
J10 It is my opinion that very little of the original car is left and most of what does remain is paterened off of my car.
J11 & J12 were unnumbered spare tubs that were built into replicas not by Ford at a later date.
As the Chassis of J6 ,which I've posted, states the J cars were manufactured by the Ford Motor Co. in Dearborn,Mich USA.

Steve
Anything can be done. The guys that restored J7 fixed the chassis damage from the Andretti crash. IMHO an exact replica of a MK-IV tub would cost more than a New Ferrari 360 Spyder.

JWhat which one of these is yours?

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> IMHO an exact replica of a MK-IV tub would cost more than a New Ferrari 360 Spyder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know little about the Mk-IV construction - just what's shown in Hodges' book, and I'm certainly not going to be the one to try to prove you wrong on that. It'd be interesting to see someone try, though...
smile.gif

Relentless !
Well?
Wich one was it ?
We are dying to hear "the" story !!!!
wink.gif

If you consider sharing it.
grin.gif

WE have rebuilt a J car. We are going to race the car in vintage events . Therefore it must be J1. I have a few pictures of the build and the finished car. I hope they come through this time.
album

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: J What? ]

J-what?,

In a word, AWESOME!
From the pictures, it looks like a pretty extensive restoration.
Do you have any "before" photos that you'd
be willing to share with us?
Best of luck racing her!

Bill

JWhat
IMHO there's a bit of a difference between replicating and rebuilding."Therefore it must be J1" J1 was built and destroyed by Ford. They still have title to J1. Before you claim you are rebuilding J1 you may want to check with them as they still own J1.

Back