CARBON FIBER GT40 BODIES

Is anyone working on a carbon fiber body as of yet?
confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Datonabill:
YES! but, the gain doesn't justify the cost.
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think so. Bill, any idea of the cost and weight savings of a cf body?

If you want a light-weight car, I think going with an aluminum-block engine would save more weight than a cf body, at an incremental cost of about $2,500.

Mark,

With a CF body the weight change would be evenly distributed throughout the car, thus
not affecting handling and balance, as an aluminum block might.
If money is no object, how about both?

Bill

Now you're talking! Just who do we get to

sponsor the project, Donald Trump?

I would love to see a 40, that weighed in at

about 1,800lbs! It'd be a screamer!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Actually, you can get a carbon/kevlar body from Safir GT40 Spares Ltd. I think it would be expensive, though. They are significantly lighter. Let's see, composite chassis, aluminum engine, c/k body....plus you could stop up all the holes and fill the car with helium...you could make it very light indeed.
More seriously, if you used an aluminum block, that would save 75-100 lbs, aluminum con rods, water pump, etc etc might get you another 50-70 lbs altogether. A composite chassis would save weight but only if you used lightweight composites. It might be just as light if you used aluminum for the tub as well- didn't the Mirages or Alan Mann cars have aluminum alloy tubs? You could use lexan or plexi for the windows, except the front, and make all the suspension pieces from CF or alloy. I think you could get down to 1800 lbs...not very streetable, but it's fun to think about.
I could make all of my cars lighter by not eating at the Golden Arches etc but that's another story...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Worthington:

If you want a light-weight car, I think going with an aluminum-block engine would save more weight than a cf body, at an incremental cost of about $2,500.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FYI. Dart cast iron should be ~$1950 and alum should be ~3500.

Bill Bayard, lets go all the way! Composite carbon chassis, corbon body, alum. engine, carbon brakes, titanium suspension & titanium nuts & bolts... might be less than buying a real GT40?????
wink.gif

Back