RF40 race debut delayed

Despite a gallant attempt by Ross Nicol and the staff at Roaring Forties to prepare his RF40 racecar for this weekend’s round of the state championship, the decision was made to delay the entry after it had become obvious that the racecar would not be completed in time to the satisfaction of all concerned.

However, the efforts of all involved was not totally wasted when it was decided that the car should still make an appearance at the Phillip Island Race Track, even though it would only be as part of a static car display. This would (if nothing else) have the effect of getting some concerned chins wagging amongst the leading championship contenders.

The next round of the Sports Car championship will be held at Sandown Raceway in three weeks time. Expectations are high that the racecar will be ready for some serious competition by then. Let’s hope that Ross can put the cat up amongst the pigeons on that day.

Attachments

• 18958-102-0260_IMG.JPG
    18958-102-0260_IMG.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,591
Another angle, also showing some race cars from another class returning to the paddock.

Attachments

• 18961-102-0254_IMG.JPG
    18961-102-0254_IMG.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,480
* Ross Nicol in the brown sleeves.

* Robert Logan being inconspicuous in the hat and the red striped Ford jacket.

* The leading Porsche driver making some "alterations" to the RF40’s performance.
Someone should tell him that the race car is the red one next to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 18962-102-0253_IMG.JPG
    18962-102-0253_IMG.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,550

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi to all
Yes as Chris has described I did not get to race the RF40 this weekend.I had all the paperwork in place but final assembly and testing of the car could not be completed in time.The motor was only fired on wednesday night and I new then we were up against it.Problems encountered on the way included 1/ Water leaks caused by ill fitting manifold in the valley- solution- remove manifold and fit 2 gaskets and use sealer around water ports.
2/more water leaks from water pump and water temp sender solution- pull pump apart and seal gaskets again.
3/Internal thrust bearing replace with new unit.Old one u/s.
4/gearshift unfinished but design works ok.
5/Motec and throttle body tuning completed at last
minute.
There are also quite a few small jobs to do and will be completed soon.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the following people for a gallant attempt at helping me to get to phillip Island Robert Logan, chris and other Roaring Forties staff, Will Croll (Mr Bolts)sorry to Natasha for keeping him out late at night, and Ross Holder.
The next race is at Sandown on the 20th of July and the car will be well tested by then.I will have driven it a few times by then as well.
Regards Ross

Bad luck Ross I wish I could have been there. Here I am up at Port Douglas in far north Queensland after having a touch too much good Aussie red and walking past an internet pub and can't help having a look. Red cars rule. Regards

Ross,

Great looking car. What's the ground clearance?

Have fun (when you do get to race it)!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
John

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
John
I haven't completed the wheel alignment yet so ride height
is not set.I'll let you know the ride height when finished.
Regards Ross

Back