Bizarre idea?

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I had a wacky thought today, so will share it even if it means people laughing at me. The thought was in relation to someone travelling a long distance in a 40, with nowhere to put their luggage etc. This is with the limited space in mind (and I don't really like the MKIII's shape).

Has anyone ever thought of building a mini-trailer for a GT40? Not one to put the car on, but one to tow behind!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
It could borrow some of the design from the car itself, and of course be matching in colour.

Some may say this would be too "twee" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, but it could be very useful.

Can tow hooks be removable, or do they have to be welded on? Could one be mounted sensibly on a 40?

Just a thought,

Max

Max,

I am afraid I also thought of this and mentioned it to some club members (I have no shame!). My design was a simple standard trailer chassis covered by a standard MkI rear clip, hinged at the rear as normal. It would be lower than the 40 and would look amazingly weird being towed by a full Mk1!

Why Do I always get involved in "Bizarre" threads.
My Tornado "HAD" a tow bar fited when I purchased the car, the chap who built the Car thought much the same as Max no room for Weekend luggage so manufactured his own.
I disposed of the towbar when I could not find anybody to sell me 8" VR 140 mph trailer tyres/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I still have the towbar any offers!!

hello all. i do remember that the chap who used to make the chassis at GTD in the early 90's had a towbar on his mk1 gt which he used to tow a small box trailer up to the north of england. Allegedly, one day, he got pulled up by the old bill for towing this trailer, mainly because they couldn't figure out what was pulling it until they had overtaken him!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think this is not a bad or funny idea at all. Here is my input:

A GT40 is a very high performance machine, capable of high speeds, great acceleration and braking etc. Usually when you tow a regular trailor with a regular automobile, you are severely hindered by the very poor performance of a regular trailor. However, designing a GT40 style trailor a.k.a. high performance trailor, would offer a significant increase in performance over a regular trailor and thus, could see some spirited driving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

1. keep a low profile on the trailor - low to the ground and equal clearance of the GT40

2. use same size tires - height and width and speed rating and very sticky rubber

3. disk brakes!!! perhaps ABS

4. extremely light weight

I would think trailoring some light camping gear (imagine that, camping with a GT40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) or a week or two worth of luggage for a cross country trip would be the reason for pulling a trailor. By keeping the load light and with the specs for the trailor being compact, I would reckon that you could squeeze some measure of performance out of this set up. Spirited driving could be experienced although I doubt full throttle launches, 1 g corners and threshold braking would be acceptable. I am talking more about 6 tenths driving in the twisties (9 tenths to your average daily driver), some open road higher speed cruising (100 mph?) etc.

I am not experienced driving pulling trailors so I can only speculate. Anyone figure on a weight limit for the trailor and the load it would carry? 300 lbs for the trailor and a load of 250 for spirited driving?

At what weight could a trailor be built to withstand a 250 lbs load and to withstand the rigors of life behind a GT40?

How about a luggage rack that sits on the rear deck? There are similar items available for MG's Lotus, etc. The Lotus one is even available with branded luggage!

Alternatively you could just leave the passenger at home & chuck the luggage on the passenger seat.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

my solution to traveling with a GT40 is to just fed-ex (or overnite ship) a weekend's worth of luggage, to wherever I plan to stay. This leaves the limited amount of storage space in the GT free for necassary items I KNOW I'm going to need. (keys, maps,wallet,sunglasses etc.)

Although, my car is still in the beginning stages of assembly, I have already planned a roadtrip to "Pike's Peak" with it when finished. This is about an 8 hour drive each direction from my home. (probably 5.5 in the 40 though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
So my idea was not so crazy after all. I wasn't really thinking of a performance trailer though, just one capable of normal road speeds/conditions. Take the trailer off at at each destination for the more spirited driving.

Also the idea of the matching camping gear sounds good. Maybe John Schneider (Logostar) could come up with a logo'd luggage & picnic hamper (with matching crockery, cutlery etc!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Some alternative thinking from Alain. I guess the only problem is the added cost. Any substantial items would probably outweigh the cost of a small (non-GT40 style) trailer, at least after a couple of trips.

The best solution is to get Ian (PERRYS), or another mate preferably without a 40, to go ahead in the team wagon with all the gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif OR Ian put your tow bar back on and we can share the extra room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I probably wouldn't do it myself, but for those of you who just have to have one, there are a number of manufacturers who make touring trailers for motorcycles. Although I haven’t inspected one closely, I’d expect that they would be light enough so that you would avoid scary moments under braking on your bike. Behind a ’40 it would be barely noticable.

Julian, You have it all doped out. Who needs a passenger when there are alot of would be passengers waiting down the road. Joseph

My wife came up with a solution to the "no luggage space" that she thinks is just perfect - She's willing to go anywhere I want as long as she can buy any clothing she wants where ever we wind up and simply ship it home when we move on to the next stop on the trip!

Damn, this car is going to get REALLY expensive!

Boy are you guys in for a surprise ! I am now applying for dealership into a trailer that I feel will look mighty nice behind the GT40. Now since I've decided that I will be pulling a trailer I wanted something really useful. Well this trailer I am getting is perfect. It not only will carry your luggage but you can sleep in it with A/C comfort while watching color TV. The back portion has a galley for a stove, cooler and other such thing used for camping. Yes, I luv to camp and this is the best way I know to do both of the things I luv. Now when I go to a show away from home I simply go to a camp site then drop the trailer and go to the show. Much better than sleepin' in a Motel room all the time.
When I take delivery, the trailer will be painted the same as my GT with the stipes, of course.
So what do ya' think?

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 19894-Rear view.jpg
    19894-Rear view.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,270
Here is another. And this thing is only 46" tall, 90" long and 48" wide.
Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 19895-inside quicksilver.jpg
    19895-inside quicksilver.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,073
Not that I would ever recommend to put a trailer on a GT40, but I have seen in South Africa some very nice and sleek trailers. They had a nicely rounded shape made out of FRP. I think they were kart trailers. Maybe some of the SA forum members could post a picture.

Hersh,

If you're gonna paint the trailer to match your car, you might as well put matching knock off's on it, too!
Why leave it at the campground? Tow it to the show! It should look great!! Does anyone make Z-rated trailer tires?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bill

Just did a quick search and found some info on following web side: http://www.trailerman.co.za/ Below 2 pictures from this link. I think if you put ever a trailer on your 40 it should look something like this:

Attachments

• 19910-sport_100.jpg
    19910-sport_100.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 716
Just use the Dolphin trailer in the wet and when it´s not raining, I´m sure the Eagle trailer will make your 40 really fly!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back