Mirrors

I have been looking thru all the books I have for pictures of 40's trying to decide what type of fender mounted mirrors would look correct and yet let me see who or what is behind me. Called a few suppliers and was told the proper mirrors were no longer available. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

VIC
CAV-40 #51
Lemans Blue
Owner built 302
Getrag trans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Victor, I put electric mirrors from a 1987 Mazda RX7 on my CAV. Before I put them on I was afraid that I would ruin the look of the car. I was absolutely amaised that they actually made the car look much better. I had baught two other styles before, one like the originals and one like on an Indy car. I have yet had anyone tell me anything but raives about how good they look. They cost me $50 including the control switch and wireing harness plus $85 to get them painted. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. Good luck to all you guys. Joe

Attachments

• 19770-joecar02.jpg
    19770-joecar02.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,102
Hi Joseph, the mirrors look excellent. I considered them too, but bottled out and went with modern carbon fibre racing mirrors. I wish I had gone the RX7 route now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I went with the RX-7 mirrors too. I think they look as though they were made for the GT40. They work great too with exellent visibility.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 19775-Right rear GT40.jpg
    19775-Right rear GT40.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,527
Where did you get your Mazda mirrors for $50.00 !!???

I've been searching the local wrecking yards and have not found any yet!

dave harris

Dave, I got the Mazda RX7 mirrors at a junk yard that specializes in old cars. Those Mazda engines didn't last very long and there a lot of them at the graveyard. The RX7's also have a forth peddle to rest your left foot on when not on the clutch. I got one, but don't know if I will be able to use it in my car. It seems like it may get in the way because there isn't much room for it. I hope I have helped some of you guys. Your car looks great Hersh. How about a couple more pictures at different angles?

Attachments

• 19800-joecar01.jpg
    19800-joecar01.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 902
Joseph,

How can you own a GT40? You only have 7 posts! (just kidding) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Welcome to the forum and I love your mirrors. I'll have to remember the Mazda RX-7 (and I like that they're electric).

Have fun!

John

Joseph,
Thanks for the kind comment. I think that color of blue you have is phenominal. That was the first choice for me but out here in AZ it's best to stay on the light side. I do like the this color alot though.
As far as the mirrors go, I posted several times as to what they were of of. I'm pretty sure they are off of a 1985-6-7 RX-7. In order for the mirror to conform to the door at the pedestal I used a hard piece of rubber about 1/4" thick and traced the pattern off the mirrors base pedestal. This allowed the mirror to conforn to the contuor of the door.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 19802-Rear GT40.jpg
    19802-Rear GT40.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,102
Ok ! OK ! so I'm a ham, or my car is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 19803-Front GT40.jpg
    19803-Front GT40.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,333
Thanks Joseph, Could you give me the name of the junk yard? maybe they will do business over the phone and I can get them that way!

dave

Hersh, you can post as many pics of your car as you want. It is DAMN pretty. Besides you are the Moderator, who's gonna stop you. Heard yesteray my car cleared customs in New York. With any luck I should have it my the 12 of July.

VIC
CAV-40 #51

Dave

I'm not positive, but appears Hersh's mirrors are 81-85
RX7. If you surf the net you'll find several yards/dealers selling used Mazda parts. Easiest way is to have your local
yard put a call on these parts, and generally they'll give you the names of those who have some. Won't be as cheap
as you pulling yourself, but saves a lot of time this way.

MikeD

Vic,
I enjoyed meeting you at the fling. Sorry we didn't get to visit long.
I expect plenty of pictures of your car when you get it. I like that engine you have.

Mike, You could be right about those mirrors. I lose track of them damn cars over the years. I give up on trying to keep abreast of all the new cars. It sure isn't like the old days where there was little chance of confusion.

Hersh:)

Hersh, your not the only one who likes the engine. I helping a forum member right now and building on for him. He even wants the same color scheme.

Vic

CAV-40 #51, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Name of car YAHOO

Dave and all you other guys, I suggest that you go in person to the junkyard. Many of the mirrors that I have seen were chipped, scratched and the mirrors had black spots behind the glass which you won't like at all. Another thing is that the wiring harnesses are difficult to remove and the guy that removes them from the car will probably cut the wires, especially the ones for the passenger mirror. You need to be there so you can get as much of the wires and connection plugs as possable.
To get mine to fit properly I used a disk sander and sanded about 1/6th. inch ( I think ) off the top and angled it towards the bottom of the aluminum piece that goes against the door. I kept doing this until the mirrors were at right angles to the pavement. Then I used the hard rubber gasket that came off the Mazda. I put a steel plate inside of the door and used lock nuts to tighten them down with.

Back