Ultima GTR vis GT40 Replica

Hi,

I'm new on this forum.

I want to ask this question only for opinion or true experience. On the Ultima website (www.ultimasports.co.uk), you can read this: ""Never mind the new 911 Turbo, be unconcerned about any Ferrari, F50 included. The only road car swifter than the Ultima is the McLaren F1, and then not by much."
David Vivian Evo Magazine March 2000"

Does someone try this Ultima GTR or battle and beat it with is GT40 Replica.

In my mind, I'm sure that a good GT40 Replica with ZR tires and 600hp can beat it.

Please, give me your comments.

Happy face to this GTR, a old Concept of 60s LeMans Winner can beat a new modern concept......

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
The Ultima and most GT40s come in at around the same weight. Given similar HP and sensible suspension tuning and I'm sure they would be comperable in performance. 400hp will get you close to that 10 sec. quarter mile time.

I looked closely at the Ultima but couldn't come to terms with the styling. I guess I'm too much of a nostalgia nut!

[ QUOTE ]
400hp will get you close to that 10 sec. quarter mile time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that close! Bloody hell I wish that were the case, I think you'll find that no GT40 owned on this forum has actually been officially timed at less than 12sec let alone 11sec. Less than 11sec requires a real 500hp, car weighing about 1000kg, very sticky tires and some very tidy gear changing.

The ultima is a light car, in fact I believe some weigh in below 1000kg. The ultima also has a good deal of aerodynamic aids, so round a fast track I'd say it would simply sail away from a 40. However they are pig ugly and have no history whatsoever!

Regards,

J.P

[ QUOTE ]

Not that close! Bloody hell I wish that were the case, I think you'll find that no GT40 owned on this forum has actually been officially timed at less than 12sec let alone 11sec.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that Rick_Merz (new member name) has clocked his with several sub 12 sec. runs including a best of 11.4.

Gilbert,

I love the 40s like everyone else here. But, the reality is the Replicas in the US have never been independently verified or tested (by an independent magazine, NOT THE CLUB MAGAZINES) for being awesome Drag cars.

If you look at the Run&Gun shows that all the Replicas (and others) battle in, the GTs never show up and even when they do, they don't register in the top 15. Cobras generally rule the Run&Guns.

What we need, is someone who has 1000hp motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (there are lots of guys here who have these!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). Let Car&Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend, Hot Rod test their car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

By the way, Car and Driver did test one of the GT Replicas (about 10 years ago). I have the magazine. They also did a road and performance test on the original MKIII (July 1965 issue), I have that magazine as well. No one here would like to read either of the two! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Now, before everyone send in their hate male /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif,,,,GT40s, Replicas or real are the most beautiful cars on the planet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I agree with JP. THe Ultimas are very well engineered & seem to be under constant development. However the styling is somewhat awkward.

Imagine an ultima chassis with a GT40 body!

IMHO the Ultima coupe was designed to be a "poor man's" Maclaren F1, and given it's design and weight advantage,
it should outperform most GT40 replicas. But it loses in the most important category...it's not loved by thousands (Millions?) as a timeless classic.

I like the Ultima Can-Am a lot more than the coupe.
They come very close to capturing the spirit and performance
of the famous (and loved) Can-Am racers of years ago.
Unfortunately they are quite pricey compared to other
forms of open cockpit racers...namely Cobras,
and the US does not embrace club racing as done in the UK.
So very few have been or will be sold into the US.

MikeD

[ QUOTE ]
Superb, with what spec engine etc. ?

Regards,

J.P

[/ QUOTE ]
GTD. 392W with hyd. roller cam, webbers, and I believe World Products heads (not sure though). ~450 RWHP. G50/50 with stock gear ratios. I also believe this was with good street tires.

Thanks everybody,

I don't think only of 1/4's time but of overall performance.

I'm agree with all of you, when you see a GT40 in front of you, you're jaw touch the ground, it's the most beautiful car in the world.

Thanks

Howard Jones

Supporter
Drag Race!!! My god they, gt40s, were ment to run for 24 hours with much of that time at over 200mph. There are so many easier ways to do 9sec runs. How about a used 80s camaro with a AUTOMATIC and a 502 crate motor in it. God help me if I ever fall in love with THAT. Borring...........By the way it will take more than 600HP,4.56 diff and slicks on the camaro to run mid to low 9s and it must slow to 25mph to turn around at the other end of the strip. Ugly cars drag race!!! If the French drag raced then our cars would have been Fairlanes with hemis in them!!

Just so I don't make anyone mad at me most of the above is said in good fun.

The GTR would dust a GT40 just about anywhere you would want to pick given equal HP. About the 1/4 mle times, I saw a GT40 at the 97 R&G do an 11.78@124mph.

I think the deal here is that more power, stickier tyres, strong transaxle = faster 1/4 mile. Regardless of how the car looks.

In fact the bigger your wallet the faster you can go. I mean you could have a 2000HP GT40, methanol with massive slicks, 3 speed auto box etc. Might not look that great or go round corners but it would do a 1/4 in the low 6's.

I think the point here is that how well does a mild 40 compare against an Ultima. Like for like. Same HP, same weight etc. As I've said the Ultima would probably win, has more downforce etc. But its still pig ugly and has no history, nothing!

J.P

Jim N

Actually I do think a properly prepared Ultima could do
135 MPH for 24 Hours. But they'd never win overall because
they are road cars. Unlike the endurance racers of the GT40's day, today's Lemans prototypes are just too far removed to ever be seen on the street.

MikeD

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
What, like this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 20822-Bentley Downhill Racer.JPG
    20822-Bentley Downhill Racer.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 604
Back