CAV project

Hello, everyone, this is my first post on this web site and I'm here because I'm in the process of puchasing a wide body CAV. Being a FE big block fan I plan on putting an aluminum tunnel port with EFI in the car. Now the advice I need, what transaxel with hold up to the HP and torque? Any other advice would be appreciated and if I'm posting in the wrong area please let me know. Thanks Wayne

The CAV dealer David Wagner is completing a FE install in a CAV. I can tell you it will definately fit. You can get his phone number off of the www.cavgt.com website for details. Also consult your dealer of choice if this is something you wish to have the dealer involved in, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I know of three CAV cars with FE's installed and hopfully mine will be the fourth. I'm curious about the transaxle, which one will hold up to the torque? A friend of mine here localy builds original trans axles for GT 40's but they are expen$ive.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Wayne, You have hit upon the issue that has been the crux of homebuilt/kit midengine cars since the beginning. There has only ever been one US built production transaxle truly capable of handling the torque of a big block engine: Toranado. In the '70s and '80s there were a number of projects built on the Toranado drive train, but it really doesn't lend itself to the kind of cars you and I would want to build and drive.

You may want to get in touch with Lee Holman as he builds copies of the T44 that was in the MkII. Or at least he tries and also wants big bucks, ~$30K, for one. The last time I talked with Lee he had 3 freshly cast magnesium cases but no one to machine them to accept the gears/shafts etc. If your friend in Orlando is building T44s, you may want to put him in touch with Lee also. (I suspect he is rebuilding ZFs.) There are several transaxles out there that will handle this kind of torque, but none will be cheap: Enco, Hewland, RBT, Ricardo, etc. The RBT was originally in the new Ford GT, but they have chose the Ricardo for production. I am sure that production volume capabilities had as much to do with the decision as anything. Lloyd Butfoy of RBT has been a contributor here and defended his 6spd version of the ZF design quite well. While these are not cheap either, they are probably the most affordable. While I am sure that Lloyd upgrades the basic design, it was able to handle the 500HP/500ft.lb. of the new Ford GT engine.

Good Luck,
Lynn

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
There is also a pretty well travelled rumour that Superformance is casting their own cases and building a reproduction T-44 style transaxle.And the price will be significantly less than other sources.....cant wait !!

I think you'll be on your own with respect to shifter linkage if you go with anything other than one of the transaxles that CAV normally supplies (Getrag or RBT). Unless you can get them one in South Africa ahead of time so they can engineer it properly...

Wayne

Just curious...why a wide body with FE?
Sounds like fun, but I assume you know the MK II's
were "normal" width. And now that Chris offers MK II
rear clips, that would be more authentic.

What did the other FE CAV's use for transaxles?
Who furnished the adapters?

MikeD

Hiya,

You could speak to my old mate Bob Lacey in the states.

He knows everything! 001 858 3423 246

Rick

Back