Storage Space?

Hi there,
I'm thinking about a purchase of a CAV GT40. I'm aware that the GT40 was a no frills racing car. I would use it as a road car and take it to the occasional track day. But from time to time I'd like to take the car to spend a weekend out with my girlfriend. To do this in a civilised manner it seems necessary to take some luggage with me.
I think there is no storage space whatsover in the car? Is this right? If so, what do you guys do when you drive it to LeMans?
Regards
Hans

There is no storage space per se. However there is a rather large area up front where the spare tire resides on the early cars that can be used for storage. It is not protected from rain, etc. and thus a "dry bag" would be required.

Hello Gary,
Thanks for the hint. You do not happen to have a picture of this space?

By the way, I've received a picture from CAV in Southafrica which shows a custom build storage space they have done for a customer. An interesting construction, would not have thought that there was any room for such a thing.
It's probably likely to get slightly hot in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards
Hans

Attachments

• 23519-IMG_0532_mittel.JPG
    23519-IMG_0532_mittel.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 467

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think it comes down to this, If you take the wife you can't take the cooler.

There is also a thread on this forum that had some very interesting small trailers.

In the CAV (and I suspect most others) there is basically 3 places where one could make use of space.

1.) The first is in the front as I mentioned before. It is an odd shape. It would be great to have a molded (fiberglass or ABS plastic) that had an upper and lower portion. Think of it as an odd shaped suit case. The entire "suitcase" comes out of the vehicle easily for transportation into your hotel room, etc. It would have to be sealed at the joint (for the weather, etc.).
2.) The second is as pictured above. It would be nice if the two cases were heat resistant and also removable "suitcases" that could be taken out quickly and easily to the hotel room, etc.
3.) The last is in the door cavity. The CAV has a cavity for storage in the door. If the current door liner/box was removed and the door just lined on the inside with carpet it would provide a larger area that one could put a small duffle bag into. You obviously have to be careful with the weight as it is hanging on the hinges.

Also, as Hersh pointed out many moons ago, there is
probably enough room under the passenger's legs for
a decent sized duffle bag.

Ian

Hi all -

The pictured carry cases you see were I believe, designed, fabricated and installed by Frank Catt of
Wealden Engineering Developments.

If you look to the side of the car - his number is listed.

They are quick release as if you look, the bottom of each is secured by a snap fastener, front and rear.

I'm sure Frank can confirm this and also has a unit for under the front nostril section that fits in place of twin servos of a GTD. Andrew Fordyce has one and uses it as a very useful toolbox. (feeler guages, spanners, Trolley jack)

Ron Earp

Admin
Frank, you ought to see about fitting those up for more makes than just the GTD and CAV. I'm sure some folks would bite on that one.

Ron

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The "FIA" suitcases were also used in the factory MK II cars at LeMans. The Mk III cars also had a smilar setup as I recall.

Not the place you want to carry all the Godiva chocolates you bought in Paris... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However, a great place to stash your pies and fries on the way, hot and ready to go when you arrive!

Search this site and you will find notes by Hersh and other about soft duffels under the knees and other spots to stash a couple of fresh undies and a toothbrush.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phone the hotel in advance to and explain then mail your bags to them, and when you leave, mail them back to yourself!
Genius.........
I`ll get me coat.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The door compartments on my DRB are carpeted, have latching, leather covered access panels, and are quite functional for storage. Driver's side contains a bag of tools, oil, brake fluid, and jumper cables. Passenger side contains a duster, rags, small scissors jack, and paper towels. If I were to consolidate this into one side, there would be enough room in the other, for a minimal
weekend wardrobe, however, supervising the wife's packing, is a must! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ok, thank you all for your valuable information. I'm now perfectly convinced that I will find a place to stove my windsurfing equipment as well as my diving gear.

Now for the hard part: Convincing the swiss authoritys to let such a car in the country. They tend to prefer new cars complying with modern emission and noise levels...

Regards
Hans

The two luggage boxes seen in the photograph were designed and made by me, and installed specifically so that the owner could persuade his wife to go with him to Le Mans each year. They replicate the original concept of luggage boxes on the 66 race cars, but are fully air and water tight, are fully insulated and have been quite able to carry the ladies clothing, toiletries and whatever else ladies carry, without harm, although I agree it might be pushing it for chocolate bars. They are removed by a single overcentre clip, and can be carried into the hotel as luggage. Unfortunately they are bespoke made for individual cars, depending on available room. Frank

HI, HANS,

NO PROBLEM - - - THERE IS ENOUGH ROOM IN A GT-40 FOR THE FOLLOWING IF PACKED CAREFULLY:

** TWO SMALL PIECES OF LUGGAGE.
** ONE MEDIUM SIZE PIECE OF LUGGAGE.
** A BRIEFCASE.
** A SMALL TOOL KIT.
** TWO SPARE QUARTS OF OIL.
** A COMPACT .45 CAL AND 100 ROUNDS.
** A "TWELVE PACK" OF CORONA IN A COOLER.
** A BOTTLE OR TWO OF RAKI.

**** PUT THE GIRL FRIEND ON A BUS ****

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK

HI, F-CATT,

THE BOXES LOOK GREAT.

ANY CHANCE OF GETTING A PAIR MADE UP FOR AN ERA GT-40 WITH A ZF TRANSAXLE ???

IF YOU'RE UNABLE TO DO SO WOULD YOU PLEASE SHARE THE SPECS. I.E. ALUMINUM GAUGE, TYPE AND THICKNESS OF THE INSULATION, TYPE AND MATERIAL OF THE SEALS, ETC. IF YOU'RE NOT INCLINED TO MAKE THEM UP, PERHAPS I CAN GET THEM DONE LOCALLY.

THANKS, AND, Y'ALL HAVE A REALY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK

bLACKJACK, Please send me some photos of the rear area of your car from several angles and i will see if I can do something, Frank

GREAT, FRANK,

I JUST WRECKED MY DIGITAL CAMERA. (I'M TOO EMBARRASSED TO EXPLAIN IT).

I'LL BORROW ONE FROM ONE OF MY SONS. I'M SURE THEY'LL LOAN IT TO ME PROVIDED I DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT I DID TO MINE.

THANKS VERY MUCH, AND, Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK

Back