Importing a Car to the UK

MWGT40

Supporter
Anybody know roughly how much it would cost to ship a car from the West Coast to the UK (shipping, import duty, insurance etc)?

Thanks, Martin

MWGT40

Supporter
I bid for the Safir on E-bay ($110,000) but was outbid at the last minute by someone who bid $133,000. However, he didn't get it either as the reserve was not met.

I thought it was too good to be true when I saw how low the other bids were but thought I would go for it on the offchance .....

And for my ten pence worth in respect of the discussion on the other forum area re the Safir, there is no question that the Safir is a continuation of the original car and does warrant special status.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Thank you Martin.
Apropos of shipping...it cost me $3400 US to ship my Mark 1 chassis, partly completed, from NZ to the UK. This included crating it and all applicable duties. Wouldn't it cost less or about the same to ship a whole car from USA West Coast to UK?
Now then, if I ever decide to bring my GT40 to the UK and drive it around (I will have to buy my own oil well to afford this) I am going to have it come with me on the QE2 in the hold- now THAT'S luxury.

MWGT40

Supporter
In terms of duty and imports into the UK, import duty is added at 10% and then VAT (value added tax) is applied at 17.5% to the total cost i.e. car plus freight plus import duty. This clearly significantly increases the cost of the acquisition.

If the car counts as an item of historical interest, then no import duty is payable and the VAT rate is reduced to 5%. I spoke to customs about whether or not the Safir would qualify or not (original cars do and replicas do not). I thjnk the Safir would probably qualify but because I pushed them for a quick decision on it they said it would not because it was not at least 30 years old.

I pointed out that if they used that rule, then an old piece of junk could be counted as of historic interest versus a car that is younger that is genuinely of historic interest (like the Safir). But rules are rules .....blah blah

In the event, it wasn't applicable anyhow as I was outbid for the car.

Martin

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of duty and imports into the UK, import duty is added at 10% and then VAT (value added tax) is applied at 17.5% to the total cost i.e. car plus freight plus import duty. This clearly significantly increases the cost of the acquisition.

But if a car is coming into the UK for restoration/repair (or pleasure use) and will be re-exported, aren't all the duties, VATs, etc. waived? I thought this was the case.

MWGT40

Supporter
There are exceptions for the instances that you refer to but I was planning to keep the car, not re-export it after a short period.

Back