V8 Porsche 914 as the basis of a GT40 replica?

Let me first say, I would love to just go purchase a $70K-$100K, beautifully done, period correct GT40 replica. That is not in the cards, so I'm looking for another way to accomplish what I am looking for. What I am looking for is an end product that from the outside, sits like a GT40 and looks like a GT40. I'm not looking for a track car, but a fun street car, much like my Cobra replica.

V8 in the 914
There have been 100's of these SBC in a Porsche 914 conversion kits sold and most the issues in doing this conversion have been resolved. The one I drove last week was a 300 hp car, that met my street performance desires.

GT40 Body on the 914
Dimensionally, the 914 and the GT40 are within an inch from each other wheel to wheel. The door openings are almost the exact same location (front to back). It would take some cutting away of areas that interfere and susequent reinforcment in tube. That has been the most difficult part of my evaluation: determining how much of the 914 unibody have to be modified to have the GT40 body fit correctly. My concern is that there would be so much interference (914 unibody / GT40 body parts) that the 914 structure would have to be so hacked up that it is not worth the effort. Has this been done? What are your thoughts?

Ken - here's the link to an old discussion that
had some bits about the 914 as a basis:
914 stuff

The main issue you have already touched on. How much of
the unibody would you have to chop up (and at the expense
of structural integrity, safety, and stability) is a major
problem.

John Stone has been working on a Pantera based GT40,
and had to deal with the same issue of hacking up the
unibody frame to fit the GT40 stuff, and then reinforce
what was left. Some info here:

John Stone Pantera

I'd love to check out your FFR sometime.

Ian

Ian,

I swapped a few emails with John, he has quite a project going. The cobra is in the middle of a planned winter project: cleaning up the dash and installing a remote stereo. As soon as we see some nice weather, I'd be happy to take you for a spin.

Ken

Back in '73, I bought a new 914 2.0 blk/blk, appearance group and A/C. Lowered and with Koni's, it measured exactly 45" high and had a ton of headroom to boot!. This would put the 914 right where it needs to be height wise. One would have to map all the rest of the proportions (driver position relative to wheelbase, etc.) to see if it would work out. A roll cage type structure really improves these cars ridgidity, so perhaps this would be an imperative part of the formula.

Andy

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I've been considering some sort of 914 re-motor re-body project for my daughter. It seems that getting a V8 in a 914 is only a part of the project. The suspension must be substantially rebuilt/reinforced to handle the weight. Given the other draw backs that you have already thought of, IMHO, you're right: probably more hassle than it is worth. Might be better served to buy a tube chassis and take your time building it up with a Porsche transaxle, etc to spread costs over time.

Back