A GT40s.com User Guide

Ron Earp

Admin
A Frank Guide for www.gt40s.com

It has been brought to my attention numerous times that we need a guide for Newbies along with general guidelines for use. Therefore, I’ve taken some of the suggestions from members, added my own, and condensed them into this frank, but useful, little guide.

• Haven’t registered yet? Good, then there is still hope. Please use your real name or something similar. We prefer it. And it is our forum. We don’t like names like “SlickRick”, “SuPeRdUpPeRgT40”, and “Ratboy4367” with cutesy pictures to match. If your name is John Brown, use it. Afraid of internet identity theft you say? Worried an illegal alien will collect your social security? Then go for John B. Trust me, nobody is going to steal your identity around here - we like ours better than yours anyhow. And we reserve the right to delete any names we don’t like.

• Don’t want to place an email with your name? Then you might want to think about not registering. Our active members form a community and we’d like to be able to invite you out for beers sometime.

• Before you post that new topic that you are just itching to bust open on GT40s.com please use the search engine. We’ve been here awhile - you haven’t, so we might have covered it already. This especially applies to TRANSAXLES!!!!!

• Before you click that “Continue” button to submit your reply or post please make sure what you are posting belongs in the forum you are getting ready to place it in. Nothing pisses off the moderators more than having to move posts into their proper locations. Posting about a new crate motor? We have a section for that. If you can’t figure out where it goes post it in “Off Topic” or just don’t post it at all.

• Don’t want flames? Then don’t tell us you are a Newbie. We’ll know by looking at your post count. If you post in the middle of a controversial topic and your post count is 1 then you’ve probably got an agenda and we know it. And we’ll tell you about it.

• IMHO – what is that? That is the best thing a Newbie (or anyone) can put in a post. Before you declare Jeff Marks’ GT40 the ugliest thing on four wheels you might want to preface your post with IMHO, which means, In My Humble Opinion. I figured everyone knew this, but there are still some people crawling out from under rocks and finding the internet, even in 2004.

• Do you sell GT40 stuff? Are you promoting GT40 products? Do you like your GT40 better than anyone else’s? Then please let us know in your signature so that we’ll know your opinion is not necessarily unbiased. It is only fair. And we like fair.

• And, while we’re on the topic of signatures please keep them small. People with large signatures are trying to make up for deficiencies elsewhere. It is a fact. Notice my signature is really small...

• Do not post in all capitals. It is akin to yelling. Only one person can post in all capitals, Blackjack, and he is the only one allowed. It is due to the fact his keyboard caps lock is stuck and he doesn’t have enough money to replace it. Posting in all caps will get you kicked from the board.

• Got some cool GT40 or race pictures that you just found? What to post them? Whoa bubba. If you don’t own the copyright to them, that is, you didn’t actually photograph them for most of us, then don’t post them. Period. Media and Ford are big business, we’re just a little tiny community with no legal protection at all. You guess the outcome – no more forum. And, if you do own the pictures and post them then keep the size to 640x480 or less! Remember, some folks just crawled out from under the rock and are using telephone wires (holy smokes Batman!) for data transmission.

• Post a little and things might get hot! Wear your flame retardant underwear while on the board, a few flames might fly every now and again. This board strongly believes in the freedom of speech so say what you like. We also strongly believe in responsibility, so be prepared to stick by what you wrote. Be prepared to back up your posts with proof and science – we’re a very analytical bunch on the board. Got a Thingamajig that ads 92 hp, unlimited torque, and cleans your house for $49.95? Prove it. And lastly, we also strongly believe in kicking your ass off of here if we don’t like what you say. We reserve that right.

• Treat others as you’d like to be treated. If you are new you’ll need all the friends you can get! The bottom line – behave yourself and don’t say things here that you wouldn’t say face to face.

• Please, use the forum as an information source and use the search feature before posting a question. And think about your question. I’m sure you want to know which GT40 to purchase or which one is the best. But face it – they are all represented here and everyone likes to think they made the best choice so how many answers do you think you’ll get? Do your research and the best GT40 FOR YOU will become clear. And if you can’t figure it out then ask me, the best GT40 is MINE.

I think that will just about do it.

Ron,

Great start - I wish more forums had such a succinct
user guide.

I'd add - for completeness:
* warnings about attachement size and posting copyrighted
material
* as civil as we try to make this forum, make sure you
wear your flame retardant underwear. Even prefacing
comments with IMHO may stir up some unwelcome responses.
Don't take things too personally, the moderator will step
in if things get too hot
* most importantly, swallow your pride, and apologize if you
have gone overboard (right or wrong). You'd be amazed at
how often someone you have had a heated exchange with one
day becomes someone who totally agrees with you on a different
topic the next.
* treat others as you would like to be treated

Ian

Ron - very cool to grant Blackjack an exception to the shouting rule !!! It just wouldn't be the same....

Y'all have a really great day !!!

Ron Earp

Admin
I've tried to get Blackjack to stop shouting for three years and three forums, no dice. So, if you can't change him you might as well love him!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ron, you might mention that the Forum accepts periodic donations to offset the cost of running it. We all benefit from this and enjoy it and should support it so that it doesn't too much become Earps' Expensive Hobby (in addition to the car, I mean).
I wondered who had the best GT40, glad you cleared that one up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back