MkII Rear Clip

Several of the manufacturers offer the MkII rear clip as an option. Have many of you opted for the MkII look? It looks impressive. Also, the side ducts appear to give the engine better breathing capabilities.

Bill D
Los Angeles, CA

While I prefer the MK II look...very few MK I buyers seem to have opted for the MK II rear clip, probably since it's not in keeping historically with the small block engine. I seriously doubt the revised scoops add engine HP to any measurable amount....might help lower engine bay temps some.
For sure it is more aerodynamic. You can bet we'll see
far more MK II's soon if Jimmy Price has his way.

MikeD

Bill,

I am guessing here, but I suspect resale would depend on the rest of the car. If you built a faithful steel monocoque chassis and made the car as authentic as possible, putting a smallblock in it would probably have a serious effect on resale. If you build a tube frame car, I don’t think it would make anywhere near as much difference.

The smallblock is a far better engine. Using a DART block you can build a 427 that is smaller, 150 lbs or so lighter, makes far more power, and is considerably less expensive to build than an FE. (See Gary's website for a good example http://www.2gmotorsports.com/ ).

A lot of it is what do you plan to do with the car? If your goal is car shows and you want people to think you have an original MK II, build the FE. If your plan is to drive the car, either on the street or the track, build a Windsor unless it is emotionally very important to you to have an FE.

(By the way, if you are serious about building a Mk II you should contact Adam, he could be very helpful).

Kevin

I love the look of the MkII cars. But I also want to build a GT40 as close to the originals as I can. My plan is to get either a RF or Tornado GT40, and put an all aluminum small block 351 stroker with Webers. With originality paramount, I guess that directs me towards a MkI.

I also plan on painting it the original Gulf colors.

Thanks

Bill D
Los Angeles, CA

Ron Earp

Admin
Jerry up in KY is building and RF MKII with I big block. I told him what Kevin did - toss that Farm Engine (FE) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (sorry I can't resist) and either use a real big block 385 series motor or stroke a Dart out to something large and use it. Either would make more power, be easier and cheaper, just wouldn't be an FE which some guys crave.

I know Robert has already done the chassis for the big block by sourcing an engine out of a bus and mocking it up around that. Plus he seems to be willing to do anything at least once!

Ron-

I would love to stuff an all aluminum 429 with Webers in a MkII RF GT40. But the cost is just too much for me to cope with. I figure it would cost about $120K to do. More than I can afford.

But an authentic MkI is what I would like to build,complete with the Gulf color scheme.

BTW - How is progress with your car?

Bill D
Los Angeles, CA

Ron Earp

Admin
Mine is coming along, engine in this past weekend and lots of progress. I've got to move houses though, so work will cease for about 3 weeks I'm sure, but then I'm back on it.

Bill

Why not buy both an MK I rear clip and an MK II?
Paint them the same and drive folks nuts by changing them
from time to time.

MikeD

The hard part on a MK II is always finding the Mk II front clip. A lot of people are making rear clips, but I think only ERA (and no doubt Superformance) is making a MK II front clip.

Kevin

Back