Ford GT show on Discovery Channel

Mark your calendars, set your wristwatches, and program your Tivos to tune into the Discovery Channel at 10:00 Eastern, 9:00 Central on Sunday night, May 16. TDC is airing an hour-long program on the design of the Ford GT.

Looks like I need to get a Tivo! Just in case anyone knows, they do record in digital, so if you were ambitious, you could hook up your computer to the Tivo unit and upload in digital format then burn a DVD, right?

I saw the show and thought it was cool, but I was mildly disappointed because there were too many talking heads and not enough Ford GT. The most interesting take-away for me was the fact that Ford increased the size of the side scoops until they met their cooling requirements. So does this mean that the cooling system is in the engine bay? I recall they were trying to avoid the weight of 32 pints (or was it quarts) of coolant necessary if the radiator was to be mounted in the front. Anyway, I guess the reason why the three existing "production" models don't look right to me is because those damn side scoops are too big. I think they really detract from the overall look of the car.

Didn't see the show, but to answer your question about the side scoops, I'm guessing they've got oil coolers in there. The SAE papers on the new car (which I probably need to go back and look at) have some info on cooling of the cylinder walls with oil (to a greater extent than your typical Ford V8). Also, I think the intercooler is in the rear - it may get its air from the side scoops.

Ron Earp

Admin
It uses a water to air intercooler under the blower, so you mean the radiator for this intercooler is in the rear?

R

[ QUOTE ]
It uses a water to air intercooler under the blower, so you mean the radiator for this intercooler is in the rear?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to look at the SAE papers, but that's what I remember (but from more of a schematic diagram than a physical layout diagram)... So don't be quoting me on this, as it could be totally wrong. I'll check it this evening.

OK, my bad. From SAE paper 2004-01-1257 2005 Ford GT- Maintaining Your Cool at 200 MPH :

[ QUOTE ]
The front-mounted cooling module is made up of the AC condenser, intercooler radiator (low temp. radiator - LTR), and engine coolant radiator (high temp. radiator - HTR).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The engine compartment components include the engine-driven coolant pump, the thermostat housing, LTR and HTR de-gas bottles, and the engine-mounted oil cooler. (The Ford GT engine uses oil to cool the pistons.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Watched the re-run last night...pretty cool.
The AMX doing burnouts was a bit odd.
I assume they were using it for engine testing
and used an AMX to disguise that fact.
Wish they'd shown an engine bay shot.
Wouldn't that blow people's minds at a car show!

MikeD

Back