Production Status? Delays?

so does anybody have any data on what the heck is going on with production?

job one was 04/29. then it was 06/30. as far as i can tell, nothing's come off the line yet.

a few folks are saying that the delays are due to the stock radio being backordered (since march, according to earlier posts on this site) - wildly unlikely.

there's a rumor floating around that they are having substantial problems with the production process:
* chassis welding and bonding problems
* problems with paint finish and adherence to the body panels
* serious weight (as in, way too much) issues

given the hyper-accelerated development timeline, i guess stuff like that shouldn't be a wild surprise, but i do hope the rumors are unfounded.

anbyody have any data?

doody.

6/30 was the date. No build delays that I have heard. There is a hold on the stock radio, however. If you want a GT built, you must order the optional stereo.

Ron Earp

Admin
Weight....hmmmm....I've been saying that for two years. I think my bet was no well in hell it would be under 3415 lbs, and if it isn't, it is far too heavy.

Looks like they're starting to come off the line. Here's a quote from an email list I subscribe to:

[ QUOTE ]
The bad news is that 2005 Mustang production hasn't started at Flat Rock yet. The good news is that 22 Ford GT's were finished last week, for a total so far of 36, according to Ford.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this from a Ford dealership owner last week:

[ QUOTE ]
Our first one was to be built last month but I now understand that
there is a hold on production until at least October.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first customer available GT, vin 010; was built at the Wixom special vehicle assembly plant on June 30,2004. The ownership rights to this GT were sold at a benefit auction last year on the west coast for approx $585,00.00 The weight of the car has been a large area of attention for the designers. they have worked to get the weight down in order to keep the desired performance. The first chassis designs have been redone many many times. The aluminum castings used in making the frame have been changed the most. The plan is to remove every 49th frame from the production lineup and cut it apart for tests to determine if the manufacturing procees is working as needed.

[ QUOTE ]
The plan is to remove every 49th frame from the production lineup and cut it apart for tests to determine if the manufacturing procees is working as needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's 2 percent or 30 frames out of the planned annual production of 1,500 cars.

Back