Superformance GT40 - factory sold

If anyone's thinking of hanging on for a Superformance GT40 this is a message I received today, the source of which is undoubted, which needs to be shared:

"The (Superformance) GT40 project is cancelled with immediate effect but the staff will be employed until the end of August. The 26,000 sq ft factory was put on the market and sold by Thursday."

Rob

Ron Earp

Admin
You've got to be kidding, right!!? But I'm sure you're not. What the hell is going on in SA? Build a nice car, or try to, and poof you're gone.

Hi Ron - I've just heard elsewhere that the project may well be continuing in Superformance's other factory - ie the "GT40 project" has been cancelled at its existing facility, and it is the cost of the two facilities that was the problem. If I jumped the gun then apologies to anyone involved but the initial message looked pretty final. I couldn't believe that after all this development work/tooling etc that it would be shelved in total.

Cheers.

Rob

I demand a full investigation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding!

I had heard things were going "ok" from another source not so close to the factory.

I hope it is just a matter of co-locating manufacturing facilities to realize economies of scale in production; I'd love to see the Superperformance GT40 everyone's talking about.

That said, I think people are fooling themselves if they really think they'll be able to buy one for $50,000.

That's a pity.

Would have been nice to see their replica.

Obviously money is very tight. You don't sell your assets unless you are in financial trouble, so I can't see how they will be able to pour more resources into the GT40 project. I might be wrong but it doesn't look good does it?

J.P

Hi Guys,

As usual, people are jumping to conclusions with insufficient evidence.

The Superformance project is being moved to Port Elizabeth from Cape Town. Production of the MK1 and MK2 will continue from there, with Jimmy Price personally controlling the quality of the car.

We are expecting it to hit the UK shores in the spring. I guess with the strength of the Rand it also makes no sense to run 2 factories when you can do it all from one.

This is the news straight from Jimmy Price today (Saturday), so end of rumour! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rick

I really don't care as to what they do. I'm still ticked about that statement they made awhile back about the cost of a turnkey minus at $50,000. To me that was a blatant attempt to stymie the future customers into waiting for their product. I'm sure there are several on this forum that wanted GTs but thought it better to wait and see what superformance does before making a purchase. I am very impressed with Superformances products and I never thought it would use tacktics as this to sell cars. If it was possible to build a GT40 Turnkey minus for that figure then somebody would be doing it. Now if it was an Ultima then I would believe it's possible. I think that car could be made here in tha states for far less than they sell for. It's just my opinion from looking at the construction. A whole lot of inexpensive Chevy stuff can be used on that car.I'm real surprised that someone hasn't done it by now.

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm not sure of the economics of SA etc. but offering a car for $50k in the States seems somewhat silly. Regardless of whether or not it is possible, it just doesn't make any sense.

They build a good quality product, it appears from the pictures last year and early this year, so why sell such a thing for $50k? Clearly they can get more than that for the car. Assuming they could offer the car for $50k I don't think they will. I'd estimate more like $65-75k for a roller. They are in the business to make money and they'd be throwing too much available profit away at $50k.

Superformance GT40 - pricing in the UK question

Rick,
I will be interested to see the price on this, as I believe from other posts that the Daytona Coupe was going to be approx $60K (apologies if I was wrong)? This $60K appears to have transformd itself into £80K for the car in the UK. Does this mean the GT will be closer to £60-70K?

Brett

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Re: Superformance GT40 - pricing in the UK question

The pricing in the U.K is very irrelevant to the price point in the USA as Superformance is targeting the US for its customer base,
The price in the UK is complete with driveline too if I remember correctly but the US price is a TK minus...
You also have to remember that there is no vat here and also the changes needed to meet SVA do not apply hence making the car less expensive to build/buy here...

I have no information re the pricing in the US other than the post by Andre some time ago (which was confirmed by the factory)

It has always been the intention of Nigel Hulme and myself, that the UK car will reflect the US pricing with the obvious additions of import duty, delivery and VAT. This will remain the case. The UK car will also be a rolling chassis (turnkey minus minus - whatever) We will assist in sourcing the engine and transaxle and I am at present in negotiations with 2 suppliers who will offer mechanical support if required.

Obviously the factory price for the US has yet to be fixed and I genuinely have no further info. Certainly, as things are at present there is no hint of a change and Jimmy Price's intention has always been to supply the car to the US at between $50-60k. I don't believe that this price has been leaked with any cynical intentions - it has always been the Superformance plan.

I will post any further news, as and when I have it.

Best wishes,

Rick

Has the factory made an offical statement concerning this closing? I know that people have made deposits.

Back