GT40 Accident

Oh dear. Had a severe accident in the GTD this evening braking for a bend (braking hard but not going enormously fast) the back end broke away and swung from side to side before I hit an oncoming car. Everybody OK, but I think the GTD is terminal. it seems to have bent all the front of the chassis.
Simon

Attachments

• 40858-GT40-accident-2.jpg
    40858-GT40-accident-2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,069
Simon
Thats a real PITA. I'm sure it'll be fixable. Chris Melia, Frank Catt, and no doubt a number of others will either have the ability or know where to get it done. Might well be worth contacting Graham (GTA917). I believe he has the ability and knowledge to fix one of these, having been racing one for a few years.
Hope all goes well.

Very sorry to hear that Simon - you must be gutted - I echo Lee's comments - I've seen tube framed cars far more mangled than your 40 fixed up no problem. Good job you hadn't just invested in that ally radiator...

Good luck.

Rob

Those people in the other car can't have been too impressed hey, but as long as everyones fine thats good. A pity to ever see a 40 damaged like that - u must be really upset. Hope u can manage to have it fixed. - what did the other car look like?

The damage looks worse becuase the bodywork is totaled, it should be fixable, how fast roughly were you going when you hit?

MWGT40

Supporter
Simon,

I think you will find that your car may indeed be repairable. There have been some GTDs in more severe accidents than your one which have been repaired.

MArtin

Thanks guys,
I was down a country lane (50 limit) doing probably no more than 50, but I did brake late for the bend. The rears locked up and it fishtailed from right to left and I hit the side of the other car doing about 15 mph I suppose. A person with slightly more skill would have avoided the accident altogether. The other car just had some slight damage to the door/wing area.
The rears locking are making me think I may have a problem with the fronts brakes! (I'll check the road tomorrow for diesel etc) The Police turned, up but as there was no-one hurt they were happy to leave us to it.
From my initial inspection, the main structure of the chassis is untouched. All the suspension, steering, wheels etc all seem to be straight and undamaged (it steered straight while being towed home) It may just be the box section forward of the suspension that is out of line.
I do try to drive sensibly on the roads, I'm sure it would be very easy to let one of these cars get WAY out of control if you're really stupid, and I'm VERY aware of my own limitations.
Simon

Hi Simon

Sorry to see your misfortune, however don't despair its fixable. Graham Turner had a similar shunt a few weeks ago, I supplied a new front and rear and Graham has just about got it straightened out already.

If you need a new front clip and nostril I could have one for you in about two weeks, cost of the clip £650 and the nostril £125.

Regards
Chris.

Hi Simon,

Keep it up ! Sorry to hear for your car but with the help of all this friends on the site, I am sure this will quickly be history.
Good to hear nobody was injured.
I suggest you make an inventory of all pieces you need so we may reply if we have some second hand pieces to help you out.
Rds
Fred

Hi Simon...

Good to hear nobody was injured.

im sorry to hear that this as happen..and i really feel for you..These car are not just cars they are like a part of your family..
(i havent got one of these cars yet but thats what it would feel like to me)

Im new here on the site and i think all the guys here are helpful...and i take my hat of to you all...

Simon hope you fix it soon..and if you need any help we will be round your house building it...

Actually I think the chassis has stood up rather well. If you were doing 15mph when you hit the other car, that's a fair old impact, (try hitting something at 15mph on a bicycle and you will see what I mean!) and the damage looks superficial really. How fast was the other car going? I know you hit it in the side but its speed would have an effect too....

The other car had stopped by the time I hit it a glancing blow on the side (I think a full on whack would have caused more damage) hence the front parts all pushed sideways. Despite the front clip being in two halves, all the lights seem to have survived as has the front nostril.
Apart from the front clip, perspex covers, rad and fans, I think everyting else is fixable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Apart from the front clip, perspex covers, rad and fans, I think everyting else is fixable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Simon,

I was out of town yesterday; Just saw your post and I must say that I feel for you and your car. As others have said, I am very glad no one was injured! I am sure your stomach was doing cartwheels though when you first surveyed the damage. Hopefully, the misfortune will turn into an opportunity to maybe upgrade/change some parts and end up with an even better car when all is said and done. Keep watch for the silver lining to this, otherwise, dark cloud.

Regards,
Lynn

PS Edit: I was going to add, "...let us know if there is anything we can do to help!" But, I thought what can I do from here? Well, maybe it's time for a nice new ally radiator. If you would like to look into a Griffin radiator, I'd be happy to research costs for one if you'd like to send me dimensions and particulars for the GTD. Griffin makes a very fine heat exchanger and mine was suprisingly affordable.

That doesn't look so bad with the bodywork off, can it still drive, stop and so on? it would be easy to sort out on a jig ot what ever those things they use to mend that kinda damage are called. The worst case would be a new section needed and mabye the floor at the front, but dont write it off, WE need proper gt40's and replicas to annoy clarkson and his new one!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Simon,

I tried to send a a template that could be used to define most any custom radiator I suppose. Either your email system doesn't allow attachments or your mailbox is full.

Whatever you decide to do with the radiator, I hope the template attached here helps!

Lynn

Attachments

• 40945-GriffinCustomTemplate.zip
    86.6 KB · Views: 415
Back