What is driveing/owning a GT40 like?

Hi everyone! I have been lurking for at least a year now. I am 45 years old and still remember all of the GT40 model kits I built as a kid.I simply LOVE the looks of these cars!I own a Porsche 993TT, black on black.I also ride a Ducati 999R.I am a certifiable car and motorcycle nut. I would really appreciate anyones input on what it is like owning one of these beutiful GT40 cars! I am seriously considering one.I would have to sell both previously mentioned vehichles however,simply because I wouldn't be able to efford it otherwise.I own a truck also...which I use in bad weather or to drive whenever I don't want to take a chance parking my 993TT.
I wish I knew someone in my area of Gaithersburg, Maryland who owns one.

Thank you all in advance, John Pratt (301-330-8575)

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
John,

There are actually several in the mid atlantic area and you just missed buying what would have been a great car to own. If you have been lurking here for a year, you should give yourself a good tongue lashing for not having attempted to buy Rick Merz's car; talk about well sorted!

Anyway, Gary Gibbs comes to mind and I know there are a number of other builder/owners in the area who will probably make themselves known to you. If worse comes to worse, take a day/weekend trip down to Raleigh as there are a few cars around here as well.

Regards,
Lynn

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome John,
another 999 here as well - mines the Biposto - 999R is serious stuff. It's hard enough to hold on accelerating with the normal engine so what is the R like ? We have speed bumps in the roads here in the UK (called Sleeping policemen) and the 999 can leap over them. The Motorcycle Show is just coming to an end here in the UK and the 999 was described in the Sunday Times (newspaper) last week as the most beautiful motorcycle at the show in spite of Japans best offers.
Most cars here are now being layed up for the winter - roll on next summer !
Dave M

Howard Jones

Supporter
Kinda like being married to Britney Spears, everybody is looking, wants to look under the bonnet, and wants to know what its like to drive it.

My GTD reminds me of riding a high power roadrace bike. Even moreso with street tires on them. Throttle control is everthing. Like a bike you can spin the tires at will in the low gears and you must be very aware of grip when in a corner.

SELL ALL and buy/build one. You will soon get old and die. Then what? I wisha coulda!

Hi John,

I live about 135 miles from you, in Lewes, Delaware. You

would be welcome to come see my car (GT40 Australia)

anytime. I'm 30 minutes from Ocean City.

If you are interested in coming to the beach to see a 40

in the flesh, e-mail me at [email protected]

Bill

Attachments

• 47074-MVC-003F.JPG
    47074-MVC-003F.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 574
It's terrible... Driving; You have to learn the proper technique to get in. When you turn it on and here its sounds you wonder if you can keep control of it. The harder you push the car the more it wants. When you are in it, it is like main- lining adrenaline. When you finally crawl out of it you are exhausted.

Owning; Howard pretty much nailed that one!

Cheers

Andy

Malcolm,
I am going to try that when the weather gets warmer. I'll try to get a willing female partner to join me in our bithday suits. If I can I'll try to get a picture to post. Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Or maybe this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 47086-PrettyGirl.jpg
    47086-PrettyGirl.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 462
Hey John,
I live about 100 miles or so to the west of you, very near Cumberland Md. As Bill offered, if you want to see the car and go for a ride, you are welcome to come visit. The car doesn't get put away for the winter until snow flies!
[email protected]

As far as owning it, it attracts attention like flies to a dead animal. Stop to get gasoline, and at least one person will look and ask questions. It is usually more like a small crowd.

Watching peoples faces and actions in other cars and along the road is almost as fun as driving it.... just kidding!! People are funny to watch though.

Driving it is addictive. Lots of torque makes the car fun on the street. No sensation you are setting as low as you are, and after you're in it for a while, it feels roomy inside.
Gotta love the sound of the exhaust. Makes the blood boil.

Dave

John,

In my case, a surprise down side of owning a GT40 was that previously exciting cars/motorcycles no longer give me the buzz that they once did. The surprise up side was that previously exciting cars/motorcycles no longer give me the buzz that they once did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In short, don't feel afraid to sell the other two toys to own one of these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Chris,
Run that one past all of us again. It may have been 'Lost in Translation' between Australian and English. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Dave

JOHN: I will give you a call in the next few days to give you my thoughts on your question. I don't have any experience with big bikes (1972 Triumph 650 Tiger was my last bike) but have owned a number of fast cars such as an original 427 SC Cobra, GT40 #P1040 (original), RENNtech Mercedes, Porsche Turbo (not the 993 TT), Corvette ZR-1, etc. I can probably arrange to get you into an original 40 (not mine; it's all apart), just to see if getting into one and sitting in it stokes you up as it does the rest of us. I live near Annapolis, so we are not too far apart. Is the telephone number that you gave in your message home or office? PM me if you like.

David, excuse my meager attempt at subtle (Aussie) humour. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Basically my point was that I was surprised to find that my other cars/motorcycles were no longer as exciting to drive/ride now that I had been spoilt by my GT40. I saw this as a negative at first and then realized that it was also a positive because I now only need the one toy (the GT40) to get my fix of weekend fun. I guess if John is anything like me, then he should not be afraid to swap the Porsche/Ducatti for a GT40.

John,

If you drive that italian 999R (I decided to move from Ducati to MV Agusta), I seriously believe there is only one other option in your live..have a GT40.Its really the engine pleasure of a Ducati. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Fred

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Chris, Thank you for the explanation
I'll go back and sit my (specially) darkened room.
John,
Keep the 999R whatever happens, it's a great and a v.collectable banker (rumour in Bologna - not that many more '999R's to be produced after mid 2005) so try and sell your body instead.

Thank you all!!! I'm CRAZY about these beautiful cars and I am going to put my Porsche up for sale.I just hope I can find one. I like the one that Bill Bayard has pictured.What a gorgeous car!Dave Morton maybe right about keeping the 999R.I'll see if thats possible.I love that bike.Oh and Dave...the 999R is everything you could want when it comes to performance.This bike is scary fast.
I appoligize for not returning my message right away.I wasn't around for a couple of days.Thanks again for the replies and thank you all for being so welcoming.

Cheers, John Pratt
(301)330-8575 work# *I'm here alot.

Back