Registration Issues - Please Read!

Ron Earp

Admin
Dear Forum,

It has been brought to my attention (and I knew it before as well) that people are having problems registering. I am pretty sure I know why, and please let me explain.

When you sign up the system puts you in an unconfirmed registration queue. The system sends you an email, and, you are to open the email and click on the link inside which takes you back to the forum and validates you are who you say you are.

The problem is that email.

It is generated by the forum software and is frequently killed by spam filters on servers. Hotmail will kill it consistently, so will Yahoo, and, so will a lot of corporate email servers. Without confirming through that email then you will never become registered at the site and will never be able to post. It then will require me to add you manually for you to use the site.

Now, I get about four requests per day for people who cannot register, or, who have lost their password, or, who have lost their login ID or a combination of all of the above. On average it takes me about 5 mintues to sort one request, and, when I travel for four days on the road you can see how an hour of work can develop quickly. Right now in my inbox I have three that need fixing.

There is one other person here who can help out and I'd like to make it known (Lynn, if you don't want to do this let me know and I'll make it so) that Lynn Larsen is also an admin and can fix folks as well. You can find posts by him on the site or send him an email as well.

So, if you have friends that cannot register etc. please tell them to be patient, they will get handled MOST of the time.

Now, I have found that there are a few people that no matter what I do they cannot login in. I've set people up, logged in as them, but they claim it doesn't work for them. These people, I cannot help. It has something to do with cookies/browser/user and I've no clue what to do.

The software is what it is and it is not the best out there. Hence, my idea to move to another platform.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
And, I shouldn't add but I'm going to because I like to be stright up - I can tell you that a certain 8-10 people on the board will for sure email me about every 6 weeks needing their password. Please, keep up with your password, remember it, make it easy to remember. Nobody is going to hijack your identity on this board, what is the worst they could do, post a message as an imposter?

Seriously, try really hard to keep your password and login ID. We're getting sort of large here and the amount of admin work has been increasing rather rapidly. Off my soap box now.

Thanks,
Ron

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
All,

I just want to let everyone know that I am on board with Ron's statements. Indeed, I have helped a few of you, but do understand that I am dealing with a reorg at my place of employement at this time and this will take the majority of my time until after the new year most likely.

Here are a few hints that will help speed up the process:

Try the "forgot password" function first.

Email me using the address that you registered with! If you will do this then I will be assured that YOU are asking for YOUR logon/password to be fixed. (It's your responsibility to ensure that no one else has access to your email address.)

If you no longer have access to the email address you registered with, be prepared to provide a phone number that is LISTED so that I can verify that it is you making the request. If you provide a work number, I will have to be able to ask a receptionist or a AVRU for you. It would be a good idea to use your work email if you are giving me a work number as well. In any case, do provide the email address that you would like to have in your profile, keeping in mind the anti-spam steps your ISP or employer may have taken.

Like Ron said, your account here doesn't provide access to any thing that would allow someone to assume your identity or anything else that should be a security concern. So, even the above requests are probably overkill. We would, however, like to be sensitive to your privacy concerns.

Regards,
Lynn

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi,

I've got about 10 people that are having registratin issues, please read the above note on this issue. I am away right now and cannot work with them until Wednesday, but will do what I can then. Pleaes be patient and try again with a different email address. Thanks,

Ron

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
There are three people on the queue right now. I have resent the varification email on them. If this doesn't clear the queue, I'll send an email to you directly requesting that you confirm that you do want to register on the forum. Please reply to my email and I will manually confirm you.

Thanks,
Lynn

Back