..I am in the wrong Country. Help me..if u can!!

hi guys,
I am italian and i deeply love the gt40.
Here seems really few ones know the replica reality and the only one i found 4sale is this one from milano (The guys sells imported cars usually at HIGH prices, importing Ultimas and some TVR),that offers this unfinished GTD (since 5 yrs here..) at the price of 44.000 euros (and he says he can fit there inside all V8 u want,says his garage can finish and make this streetable...anyway the car is already UNFINISHED)
My question is this: do u believe that can be a good price for that one or should I continue search something in England as I costantly do here with u?(planning also some adventure return here from Uk to Italy..hihihi..:)
I saw Alan's KWA for sale (and completed) for more or less 33.000 euros.This is a GTD..just need your opinion,mainly about the price.
I prefer ask u, cause i believe u are the best info source available for me.
Thank u for help...and sorry for my uncorrect english.
Just i am saving money for a NICE vintage...and do not want waste time and money listening a dealer bullshits.

thx again
paul-Italy

Paul,

My similar experience learned me that they are 2 things to look at:

1.Try to find a fisnished car second hand.There are some good ones in the UK unless you are familiar with and your objective is to build from a kit.
2.Make sure yo understand how/if yo can register such a car in Italy.

Second part should not be underestimated.

If you want more details,pls send me seperate mail.
Goodluck
Fred

yes, u are definitely right.
Only i know here is almost impossible to make streetable a kit car, so i absolutely need an already plated car.
With UK can also be a great idea to have an anready historical car, cause they just need the Uk concession (only i dunno what is the letter Q on uk plates..).
I am just SURE i can never use a kit car assembled here (and is a GREAT shame..cause i know we have incredible places as Oral engeneering http://www.oralengineering.com/ )..that is just Mauro Forghieri factory...and i am sure they can do a great job on an ex enemy as a gt40 was.
But only they prepare race cars...or not streetable ones.

maybe i dream..but i search a gt40 finished (also in bad body condition) for less than 20k GBP,and also the German ones seems to me at all too much expensive..
Being u the only GREAT source about all this matter..i always will ask u about.

Thx u for everything, also private mails are welcome

Paul

Hi Paul,

Have you looked at the GT40 Cars for Sale section? There is a KVA finished and registered as an historic vehicle (not a 'Q' plate) he is asking 23.500 UKP

ja dave, i've seen that..looks great, and already mailed to Alan to plan a visit...but probbaly i cannot be in uk until this summer(i always love to go to UK..:p:p)
What means the Q plate in uk?

Thx
Paul

Hi Paul

I think the Q plate indicates Query. Normally this indicates the car is either a kit car, has been previously total lossed (an insurance write off) or its original year of manufacture is unknown. Q-plates are of the format: Q 123 ABC.

Hope this helps

Dan

Paul,

Q indicates that the vehicle licensing authority cannot verify the age of the car for various reasons, including those Daniel states. In the UK this would mean you could not convert it to an historic plate (e.g. from the 1960s), also there is a snobbery about Q plates as they tend to mean 'kit cars'. Therefore they hold less value - but this depends on the buyers opinion of course.

I think more important (especially if the car is in Italy) is the quality of the build.

sure...that is absolutely right.
Being anyway SO nice all the cars i see in this forum i believe that here nobody never knows the Q matter about the plate.
Just i wanna know better if here i can have any special problem in replate that as an italian car.
Honestly is just this my first care, cause will be long tell u how crazy are our laws here about street license,and i should learn them very very carefully(also i am considering to import some wonderful ones from USA...if only gt40s will be so easy to find at low prices as Cobras in US are..:))).
I Will do the impossible in this life to have a Gt40 here in Itlay...i am sure about this...

paul

Cobra's are cheap compared to GT40's. Here is Aus, GT40's cost easily twice as much as Cobra's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good advice above about contacting your local motor registry department and finding out what options you have. That's the first thing I would do. That will determine if you need to buy an historic registered UK car for example or can you import a completed or partitially completed, or just chassis etc from UK, Aus or US.

Good Luck. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Back