Worst Looking GT40

I voted Mk III as the worst, although that's not entirely fair. I do like the front end, it has a nice character all it's own, but the rear is BUTT UGLY.
Jim

Isn't this a little like asking about bad sex.....
Any sex is good sex just some is better than others...

All GT40's are beautiful in their own right and should not be compared against each other as they are all for different purposes....

Fran is so right. I believe it is better to say which you prefer rather than which is the worst.
Sometimes I wonder if the MKI would be as popular if 1075 had the mirage bodywork on, as it was supposed to, instead of the MKIB body. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hershal,
I don't think it would make any difference which body style won the most or most prestigious races. The MK-1 is drop dead georgeus.
Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good example is the 427 Cobra.
The 289 and Coupe won all the prestigious races...
yet the 427 body is far far far more popular.
So I tend to think the MK I would still get most votes,
even if 1075 hadn't won Lemans twice.

My choice for worst looking?
Any GT40 without the side pod covers.....looks like
something fell off the car !

MikeD

GT40's in general look good because the proportions are so right! I think that the MK 3 with its stretched backend screws them up. The changes to the front don't seem to - hence the vote. By the way the vote only says what we think is the worst looking 40, not that it is a bad 40.

The MkIII gets my vote as ugliest. I think the tail is
too long, the Borranis don't sit right with me, and the
nose and quad headlights "tame" it too much.

But, that's my opinion, and as others have said, and 40
is good looking.

Nice avatar Darth Heathcliff!

Ian

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
IMHO,

The order for least attractive would be:

III, Mirage, Wide Flares, Mk IV, Mk II, Mk I

Mk IV and MK II are almost a dead heat for me. I am surprised at the number of votes for the J cars. I have said before that I think the wide flares look out of proportion, BUT aesthetics are secondary to me and if I were racing one, you can bet your butt I'd have the wide flares and big tires!

I have to agree with the proponderance though, the Mk I is the best looking of the lot.

Lynn

I've chosen the Mk.III not becaue it's ugly, but because the GT40's beauty is that of a rugged racing GT, built like a tank and brutally efficient. The Mk.III is a bit too feminine to fit in with the rest.

My favourite sitting on the driveway would have to be the Gulf flared Mk.Ib. My favourite on a track would have to be the Mk.IV (because it was fastest). "Image is nothing, performance is everything" as the add says.

Just my two pennies worth.

Stew

I agree that the MK III, compared to all other GT 40`s, looks a bit out of proportion, kind of like being flattened with a big hammer. (O.K. not counting in the breadvan...)

In contrast the MK I is just right. With reference to #1075 a journalist in a motorracing magazine once wrote:
"Like with those stunningly beautiful old greek statues, the creators of its shape remain anonymus. The car itself is a result of the requirement to survive in a hostile environment. Its character is that of raw coolness in the style of Steve McQueen and Clint Eastwood in their later movies."

Think that about sums it up.

Hi forum

Mark III is the worst looking GT40 for sure.
But still better looking than most other sport cars
from the same area. (from my point of wiew)

Per Clausen KVA mark I

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
NO NO NO....

its not the Mk III its the first Mk IV, J1 known as 'the bread van' here's the proof..... ;-)

Doc Watson

Attachments

• 80772-j1.jpg
    80772-j1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,112
also ferrari has similar ugly things....
bv_kloepfel1.jpg

Paolo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

PS:Here's the story behind serial No. 2819 GT: in 1961 Count Giovanni Volpi wanted to race a 250 GTO but Enzo Ferrari refused to sell him one. Se he took a 250 GT SWB and modified it to GTO specifications. At the same time he had Piero Drogo clothe it with a body designed by Giotto Bizzarrini and based on the aerodynamic theories of Dr. Wunibald Kamm. The car was 6 inches lower than a 250 GTO. In spite of a higher top speed, it was only moderately successful. Best placements were a 2nd at the 1961 Tour de France and a 3rd at the Monthlerey 1000-Kilometers. However, with its nickname "Breadvan" (Camionette in France), it became world famous.

Keith

[ QUOTE ]
also ferrari has similar ugly things....

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, ouch..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Back